Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Day Three for Free

Just like in the spring, Molden has been around the ball constantly and on Sunday he came down with a spectacular interception where he was right in the hip pocket of a receiver and then went completely horizontal to make the grab. Keith Taylor, Taylor Rapp, Julius Irvin and Sean Vergara also had picks with Rapp's being the second-most impressive of the group, giving up his body by diving for an errant throw from Jake Haener who appeared to get his signals crossed with a receiver who had run a different route than the redshirt freshman quarterback was expecting.

Huge surprise that our? secondary is dominating. Also, I love you Elijah! Please join Joyner in rotating in at Nickel and relegating Midget to mop up duty.

The kicking situation isn't as bad as people think it is, but it's easy to understand why people are so leery of what is going on. Peyton Henry continues to show the biggest leg as the ball just explodes off of his foot and he was right down the middle on both of his kicks from 37 yards out to end practice. Sophomore Van Soderberg appears to have hit a bit of a groove as well, but his kicks just aren't as strong as Henry's and he appears to try to drive the ball more than worrying about getting it up in the air quickly.

Bullshit. Every kicker is making 1/3 or 2/3 each practice. From 35 yards. But sure, it's not that bad.

The offensive line rotation is a jumble right now, but something exciting was seeing the work that Henry Bainivalu was getting at left tackle with the second and third team. After having offseason back surgery, you always have to wonder if a player will ever get back to full health, but Bainivalu looks none the worse for wear and he handled things well vs. guys like Benning Potoa'e, Joe Tryon and Myles Rice. Freshman M.J. Ale also seems to be settling in at right guard. He absolutely manhandled fellow freshman Mosiah Nasili-Liu, driving him off the ball with excellent leverage and planting him on his backside.

Now that's a Greco Roman match I'd love to watch. Also, fuck yes Bain!!!!! Thinking of him, Watty, Sloth, Mele, Curne, Ale, and this year's potential class as the future of our? line makes me sleep safely at night.

There is no leadership void along the defensive line even with the early departure of Vita Vea to the NFL. Greg Gaines is still there, but Jaylen Johnson has really begun to show his leadership skills, mentoring some of the younger players. Following practice, I got a chance to speak with the senior defensive lineman and he said that was one of the things he focused on when he was younger, growing up to become a player who could be a leader and take younger players under his wing and show them the ropes. Johnson is a physical presence inside and he takes pride in being able to play multiple positions along the line. He was originally brought into the program with the thought of playing the BUCK linebacker position, but his frame dictated that he move inside the defensive tackle and he seems to be relishing his role as the defensive tackle in Washington's defensive scheme.

Fuck you Jack Browning.

The receivers had a very good day catching the ball. One of the biggest concerns heading into the season was who was going to step up as the number one target for Jake Browning and while that's still in flux, several of the receivers have begun to step up to make plays. Yesterday, it was Ty Jones showing off his size, speed and hands and today Austin Osborne, Aaron Fuller and Terrell Bynum both made huge grabs in team, 11v11 work that had to give the offensive coaches some hope that their charges are starting to show some progress. Another big area that Matt Lubick focuses on with his players in their blocking on the outside and the receivers have definitely begun to show progress in that area as well.

Thankful to be reading about these guys instead of Pounds and Baccellia. OZZY!!!!!

Comments

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

I am not surprised the secondary is dominating, it's easily the best and deepest position group on our defense. Molden would be starting for pretty much every other Pac 12 school and he will be in the rotation for us. I love I haven't heard Myles Bryant name once.

Bingo, you 5.3'ed me. Can't recall a single mention.