Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Build That FireWall

GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Standard Supporter

Senate Democrats Are Circulating Plans for Government Takeover of the Internet: Reason Roundup

Here's how Warner is suggesting we deal:

Mandatory location verification. The paper suggests forcing social media platforms to authenticate and disclose the geographic origin of all user accounts or posts.

Mandatory identity verification: The paper suggests forcing social media and tech platforms to authenticate user identities and only allow "authentic" accounts ("inauthentic accounts not only pose threats to our democratic process...but undermine the integrity of digital markets"), with "failure to appropriately address inauthentic account activity" punishable as "a violation of both SEC disclosure rules and/or Section 5 of the [Federal Trade Commission] Act."

Bot labeling: Warner's paper suggests forcing companies to somehow label bots or be penalized (no word from Warner on how this is remotely feasible)

Define popular tech as "essential facilities." These would be subject to all sorts of heightened rules and controls, says the paper, offering Google Maps as an example of the kinds of apps or platforms that might count. "The law would not mandate that a dominant provider offer the serve for free," writes Warner. "Rather, it would be required to offer it on reasonable and non-discriminatory terms" provided by the government.

Other proposals include more disclosure requirements for online political speech, more spending to counter supposed cybersecurity threats, more funding for the Federal Trade Commission, a requirement that companies' algorithms can be audited by the feds (and this data shared with universities and others), and a requirement of "interoperability between dominant platforms."

The paper also suggests making it a rule that tech platforms above a certain size must turn over internal data and processes to "independent public interest researchers" so they can identify potential "public health/addiction effects, anticompetitive behavior, radicalization," scams, "user propagated misinformation," and harassment—data that could be used to "inform actions by regulators or Congress."

And—of course— these include further revisions to Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, recently amended by Congress to exclude protections for prostitution-related content. A revision to Section 230 could provide the ability for users to demand takedowns of certain sorts of content and hold platforms liable if they don't abide, it says, while admitting that "attempting to distinguish between true disinformation and legitimate satire could prove difficult."

"The proposals in the paper are wide ranging and in some cases even politically impossible, and raise almost as many questions as they try to answer," suggested Mathew Ingram, putting it very mildly at the Columbia Journalism Review.

Comments

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    Communists!!!!
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Democrats want a police state. They've become the most ignorant, despicable group of Orwellians in US history.
  • Options

Democrats want a police state. They've become the most ignorant, despicable group of Orwellians in US history.

If I like my police officers, do I get to keep them?
  • Options

It's your side coming up with all this Orwellian shit. What are you and your comrades doing to oppose it? Nothing...
    Clean your own house, or the rest of us will burn it to the fucking ground. Sincerely, the American people.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

It's your side coming up with all this Orwellian shit. What are you and your comrades doing to oppose it? Nothing...
    Clean your own house, or the rest of us will burn it to the fucking ground. Sincerely, the American people.
    You little pussy. You aren't going to do shit other than whine like the little bitch you are and run your hole on a message board.

Fuck off.
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dflea said:

You little pussy. You aren't going to do shit other than whine like the little bitch you are and run your hole on a message board.

Fuck off.
    To be fair, same can be said about you.
  • Options
    dflea said:

Fuck off.
    You seem angry. What wrong, does your butt ugly wife not put out enough?
  • Options

dflea said:

Fuck off.
    Well, yeah. So?
  • Options

dflea said:

Fuck off.
    You seem angry. What wrong, does your butt ugly wife not put out enough?
    Your mom is always around so why would I care? Run along little punk.
  • Options
    dflea said:

dflea said:

Fuck off.
    Well, yeah. So?
    Light a gallon of bleach on fire and drink it until your gut explodes, you piss stain.
  • Options

dflea said:

dflea said:

Fuck off.
    Well, yeah. So?
    Light a gallon of bleach on fire and drink it until your gut explodes, you piss stain.
    Light bleach on fire?

• Options
    dflea said:

dflea said:

dflea said:

Fuck off.
    Well, yeah. So?
    Light bleach on fire?

Find a way to make it work, faggot.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Which one of my houses will you burn though, fuck boy?
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,687
    2001400ex said:

Communists!!!!

You should know.....
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

Trigger warning for @BigBallaJ next time
    Are the Balla Twins still in Europe going to Gay Pride events and apologizing for America? Or did the take the GoFundMe money in addition to the insurance money from their apartment fires and head to Asia to let the Asians know how embarrassed they are to be American?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

Trigger warning for @BigBallaJ next time
    Are the Balla Twins still in Europe going to Gay Pride events and apologizing for America? Or did the take the GoFundMe money in addition to the insurance money from their apartment fires and head to Asia to let the Asians know how embarrassed they are to be American?
    Or?

I believe they chose a life of abundance.