Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

My thoughts on Mario Cristoballz

Comments

• Options
    blackmambablackmamba Member Posts: 184
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper 5 Awesomes

This is literally Cristoballz' strategy:

2. Pay close attention to the star ratings of recruits on 247. (This is a fact, I read an interview of a 3-star kid who visited Oregon and he said the Oregon coaches told him "we're only going after 4-star guys right now and will offer the 3-star guys later".

Can you share the link to this interview?
  • Options
    justthrowitinthebagjustthrowitinthebag Member Posts: 150
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I like the recruiting approach. It's the Bama approach. Appropriate for a program that's building an SEC caliber team. Chip can sign all the crappy 3 star guys he wants and coach them up. It will only get him so far. We need top level recruits to go all the way. Cristobal needs to be a great coach too. Playoffs or bust in 2019.

It might be the Bama approach but to think that Oregon will become an SEC style team in the Pac-12 is literally insane. The "soul" of Oregon football is NOT in anyway smash mouth SEC-style ball. Oregon has a recipe for success and a style of playing that suits them. If you think Oregon is gonna become Bama west because Cristoball is recruiting big OL and RBs, you're crazy. It won't work how you think it will.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

2. Pay close attention to the star ratings of recruits on 247. (This is a fact, I read an interview of a 3-star kid who visited Oregon and he said the Oregon coaches told him "we're only going after 4-star guys right now and will offer the 3-star guys later".

Roof sharing shit from her personal MySpace sexting with recruits and trying to blame 247.

Sad!
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

I like the recruiting approach. It's the Bama approach. Appropriate for a program that's building an SEC caliber team. Chip can sign all the crappy 3 star guys he wants and coach them up. It will only get him so far. We need top level recruits to go all the way. Cristobal needs to be a great coach too. Playoffs or bust in 2019.

It might be the Bama approach but to think that Oregon will become an SEC style team in the Pac-12 is literally insane. The "soul" of Oregon football is NOT in anyway smash mouth SEC-style ball. Oregon has a recipe for success and a style of playing that suits them. If you think Oregon is gonna become Bama west because Cristoball is recruiting big OL and RBs, you're crazy. It won't work how you think it will.
    You must have missed when Oregon invented a whole new style of football. It happened during the duckade, when you and the husky brethren were guzzling bleach and lighting yourselves on fire every day just to cope. Oregon is a chameleon. We have so many helmet and uni combos at our disposal that we could wear a different get-up for every game until the year 3344, according to USA Today. UO approaches football with the same changeability. Chip Kelly's system is yesterday's news and Oregon is re-inventing itself again. Expect some smash-mouth mixed with some explosiveness to complement a completely revamped defense.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,743
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

1. Offer 300 kids all across the nation.

3. The biggest problem is they're scanning the entire nation for the "4-star" kids that don't have committable offers from the top schools in their region. Mind you, most of the blue blood programs also offer a million kids. The vast majority are not committable. So if you see a "4-star" kid from Florida with an impressive "offer sheet" commit to Oregon he doesn't have committable offers from the big three in Florida or any blue blood programs and in reality is being recruited by Pitt and Virginia. They are like a fucking magnet pulling in all the most overrated 4-stars they possibly can to boost their class ranking and drive momentum and hype. It's fucking hilarious to watch if you know what's really going on.

4. On top of that, they give zero fucks about character evaluations, grades, or securing solid commitments. Last class they had like 4 or 5 guys who signed but didn't even show up or quickly left the program after arriving on campus. Guys like Andrew Johnson, Jalen Hall, Bruce Judson, Sion Vea Kava, and Rutger Reitmaier. They've already had multiple decommits from this class with more to come. It's all about pressuring kids to commit or reserve a scholarship based on the high of a visit and they don't care if kids continue to take visits after committing so few Oregon "commits" are actually committed. Even when they sign with Oregon they might not even end up on the roster. It's just an fucking free for all shit show. Never would I trade our recruiting for that shit. They can have the star ratings and off season championships. I'll take OKG's and winning every day and twice on Sundays. It will be especially enjoyable whooping Oregon's ass to the dismay of their fans who think they're bring in more talent. They'll be like, "the class rankings prove we have more talent than Washington so why the fuck can't we beat them? It must be the coaching."

Point 2 could be taken out of context. Oregon already has commitments from three star players so to say they ignore them completely is wrong. Now depending on the position need, this could completely make sense. For instance, at WR Oregon is in the mix with very highly touted 4 and 5 star talent. Why offer a scholarship to a middle of the road guy when more highly touted players that fit your system are showing high interest in joining you? It is a gamble, because if they don't pick you you might have blown the three star guy that was interested. But some times you take chances. Anyway...I agree that I don't like the approach, but it's light years better than what Helfrich did. Helfrich and his team just sat on their asses and waited for coaches and players to contact him before they did anything. At least this group of coaches are proactive. I will give them that.
    I appreciate the sensible response but it's still a pretty big red flag. Ducks called Chip's recruiting lazy yet his recruiting got them to two national title games. Chip's recruiting was pretty much the same as Petersen. He didn't give a fuck about star ratings and did his own player evaluations. Helfrich's recruiting sucked because he sucks at evaluating talent and maybe his staff did get lazy because Helfrich does not have a demanding personality but at least he did his own evaluations. Cristobal isn't and is wildly throwing out offers and chasing star rankings. It's a free for all to collect as many overrated 4-stars as possible. That's not me being biased. That really is what I'm seeing.

I mean for fuck sake Oregon's class (which has 17 commits) is rated above Ohio State (15 commits), LSU (18 commits), Florida State (16 commits), Notre Dame (17 commits), Michigan (18 commits), and Tennessee (17 commits). Does anybody in their fucking right mind think Oregon is bringing in better talent than those schools? They aren't even beating UW and USC for the majority of the top recruits out West. They have the most overrated class I've ever seen since following recruiting.
    #1 Yes, I'm sure you know this.

#2 Sure.

#3 Super sound logical reasoning there.

Even the people doing the recruiting don't know whether a class is over or underrated. And, there are a lot of factors that go into why one school prioritizes one kid over another.

I've been hearing this shit for years in South Florida recruiting circles.

"How good can Clinton Portis be? Florida thinks he's a situational corner." Turns out the people at Florida were fs about Portis, who grew up right under their nose in Gainsville, who turned out to be a pretty gifted runner. But some idiot at Florida thought he was an unspectacular corner and didn't want to use up a spot on a kid who only thought he was a rb. So, you know, he was overrated. Thank God Don Soldinger, who knew a thing or two about running backs, was doing the recruiting for Miami and not you.

You realize the entire basis of your argument rests on the degree to which Washington or USC covets some kid. That's all you have, because we both know you have no ability to assess these kids yourself.

Sure, are "stars" a flawed system? Of course. We all have the same stories. "Lustik was a today 5 star, and Emtman was a today 3*" or whatever.

That said, in a world of imperfect information, I'll take all the stars that you don't want.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

So you are going to give away every bit of information in my story, which helps me make money to continue what I'm doing? No offense, but a former beat writer and columnist wouldn't do that....

Origin story?
    I like to bitch about somebody “stealing” publicly available information from my tweet when said tweet was referenced to the story ... that’s what I like to do.

This Prehm guy is a kind of stupid that only @StrongArmCobra would understand
    I know I've won an argument when the other poster starts randomly tagging me with insults in another thread.
    In your case, one doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the other.

You come off desperate in this debate.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

So you are going to give away every bit of information in my story, which helps me make money to continue what I'm doing? No offense, but a former beat writer and columnist wouldn't do that....

Origin story?
    I like to bitch about somebody “stealing” publicly available information from my tweet when said tweet was referenced to the story ... that’s what I like to do.

I know I've won an argument when the other poster starts randomly tagging me with insults in another thread.

ntxduck said:

"Guys like Andrew Johnson, Jalen Hall, Bruce Judson, Sion Vea Kava, and Rutger Reitmaier."

So....2 guys Taggart signed over a year ago. 1 guy who is on campus. 1 guy UW (or any Pac 12 school) would have taken a flyer on who is a headcase. And 1 guy who will be on campus soon, in all likelihood.

Yeah that's what I call a fucking shit show. UW rarely has decommitments. When we sign kids they aren't transferring out after two weeks with the team. We're never waiting for somebody to show up. We're never hoping and waiting for the NCAA to give a kid another year of eligibility. Nobody in the Pac-12 wanted Jalen Hall because everybody knew he was a head case. If he wasn't a head case he'd be at USC right now. That is some sloppy ass recruiting. You don't care about character. You don't care about grades. You don't care if a kid is actually passionate about football. You don't care about work ethic. All Oregon cares about is star rankings. Good luck with that shit show.
    Oh sweet Jesus. This is precious.
  • Options

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Origin story?

Only extremely stupid people think debates are won with a series of straw man arguememts.

1. Offer 300 kids all across the nation.

3. The biggest problem is they're scanning the entire nation for the "4-star" kids that don't have committable offers from the top schools in their region. Mind you, most of the blue blood programs also offer a million kids. The vast majority are not committable. So if you see a "4-star" kid from Florida with an impressive "offer sheet" commit to Oregon he doesn't have committable offers from the big three in Florida or any blue blood programs and in reality is being recruited by Pitt and Virginia. They are like a fucking magnet pulling in all the most overrated 4-stars they possibly can to boost their class ranking and drive momentum and hype. It's fucking hilarious to watch if you know what's really going on.

4. On top of that, they give zero fucks about character evaluations, grades, or securing solid commitments. Last class they had like 4 or 5 guys who signed but didn't even show up or quickly left the program after arriving on campus. Guys like Andrew Johnson, Jalen Hall, Bruce Judson, Sion Vea Kava, and Rutger Reitmaier. They've already had multiple decommits from this class with more to come. It's all about pressuring kids to commit or reserve a scholarship based on the high of a visit and they don't care if kids continue to take visits after committing so few Oregon "commits" are actually committed. Even when they sign with Oregon they might not even end up on the roster. It's just an fucking free for all shit show. Never would I trade our recruiting for that shit. They can have the star ratings and off season championships. I'll take OKG's and winning every day and twice on Sundays. It will be especially enjoyable whooping Oregon's ass to the dismay of their fans who think they're bring in more talent. They'll be like, "the class rankings prove we have more talent than Washington so why the fuck can't we beat them? It must be the coaching."

I only stated facts. You can take the red pill and realize Oregon's recruiting is a sham or you can take the blue pill and stay ignorant and feel all warm and fuzzy inside because of overrated star rankings. I don't care.
    You built your own narrative and presented it as fact. And I have all the screenshots I need.
    But you guys don't care about grades! Or character! Or passion for football!

All you care about is stars!!!!!!!!!!!!

You really should just jump at this point Doogie Doogerson.
  • Options

This is also more amateur hour observation.

There is, in fact, no such thing as program "DNA". It's fun to talk like that, but in the final analysis, it's only reality that matters.

And the reality is, a program is only whatever it is at a given time, with a given staff. All that matters is who he brings in and what they run.

Because, your Iron Laws post notwithstanding, if the guy recruits kids who can play, and they run the ball down your fucking throat, and play sound defense, then that's what they are. It won't matter at all what they were under someone else.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Origin story?

This your first exposure to the wonders of Roof Robbins?
    I don't know Roof like you guysm do.

Does she poast here?
  • Options

dnc said:

Tequilla said:

dnc said:

Origin story?

This your first exposure to the wonders of Roof Robbins?
    I don't know Roof like you guysm do.

Does she poast here?
    If StrongArm's not Roof he/she/z is doing one hell of a Roof impersonation
  • Options

There is, in fact, no such thing as program "DNA". It's fun to talk like that, but in the final analysis, it's only reality that matters.

And the reality is, a program is only whatever it is at a given time, with a given staff. All that matters is who he brings in and what they run.

Because, your Iron Laws post notwithstanding, if the guy recruits kids who can play, and they run the ball down your fucking throat, and play sound defense, then that's what they are. It won't matter at all what they were under someone else.
    This is true of course, but Oregon has a brand that attracts a specific kind of kid, and smash mouf ain't it. Brands can be changed but there are no external signs of that going on.
  • Options
    blackmambablackmamba Member Posts: 184
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Name Dropper 5 Awesomes

Hello???
  • Options
    justthrowitinthebagjustthrowitinthebag Member Posts: 150

I disagree. I'm not saying it's dogma but "program DNA" does exist to a degree.
  • Options
    SourcesSources Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,807
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

I disagree. I'm not saying it's dogma but "program DNA" does exist to a degree.
    I agree - UCLA is a great example. Forever soft.