Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

$12 billion bailout for farmers

13»

Comments

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment

Y'all just back the fuck off the farmers.

O M G. That first girl though.
  • Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2018

Sledog said:

89ute said:

89ute said:

Deserves own thread? (It was talked about in another thread).

Summary of those responses? trade wars are a good thing. After all, trump announced today that he “loves tariffs.” Probably as much as he loves the poorly educated. Further, Troomps approve of welfare for US farmers, and having the federal government, not the free market, determine economic outcomes.

Explain to this poorly educated Trumptard this free market thing you speak of. See, I thought all along that other countries were tariffing the fuck out of imported US goods into their countries, if they even allowed them at all, while the good ole US and A imposed comparatively no tariffs at all.

I guess I need to be around more smart people like you.
    Ok,
    The US has led the 70 year post war effort to reduce tariffs barriers and establish a rule-based trading system. From gatt to wto, impediments to free trade have gradually and incrementally been reduced. Not eliminated but reduced to levels that have unleashed massive global prosperity. The biggest winner has been the US. America’s comparative advantage in high value added goods and services has created unprecedented wealth and prosperity. Us comparative advantage lies in skills and education. We create massive wealth and in return open our markets to low value added shit made elsewhere. It’s win-win with rules for adjudicating disputes.

Retreating from the system we built and prosper from, to protect obsolete low value goods created by unskilled and uneducated laggards, is the height of ignorance. Self defeatism at its core. Trumpism at its finest.
    I don't see steel, aluminum, and autos as low value-added shit. All the shit in Walmart, yeah. Nike shoes, yeah, let Chinese kids make them. But when China has a world market share on steel of 47% it's a problem. Now if China could "fairly" produce steel cheaper than the rest of the world, so be it, let them prosper and profit from it. But they don't, it's state-sponsored.

I agree with what you're saying, but some of us think it has gone too far and needs to be rebalanced. There is a hell of a lot of global prosperity out there and those that are prospering, in my opinion, are not giving back like America has. Like China. Those motherfuckers need a tune up.

Get America humming along again, paychecks and prosperity for everyone then we can get back to this fixing the world shit.

I'm on the side that believes it's okay to take a step back, get your house in order, then get back to fixing everybody else.
    Fuck the steel industry, bring on cheap Chinese steel. Free market.
    Doesn't work well when we are at war with china or one of it's allies and have no steel or aluminum plants. This is a strategic industry that we must maintain.
    No land war in Asia. Even Trump has seen Princess Bride. If not Mad Dog knows this.
    How can you fight a country when every citizen is legimately a ninja
    That's Japan. The Chinese are more like the Ferengi from Star Trek. They're a bunch of shysters, it's all about the yuan and ripping people off. Also, the Chinese diet is different than Japanese. You'll see a lot more fat Chinese in China than fat Japanese in Japan. It's a lot dirtier too. You can see the pollution in Shanghai and Beijing from 100s of miles away. There's lots of trash in the streets, motorscooters that will run you over, and people pissing in alleyways.
  • Options
    insinceredawginsinceredawg Member Posts: 5,117
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

Sledog said:

89ute said:

89ute said:

Summary of those responses? trade wars are a good thing. After all, trump announced today that he “loves tariffs.” Probably as much as he loves the poorly educated. Further, Troomps approve of welfare for US farmers, and having the federal government, not the free market, determine economic outcomes.

Explain to this poorly educated Trumptard this free market thing you speak of. See, I thought all along that other countries were tariffing the fuck out of imported US goods into their countries, if they even allowed them at all, while the good ole US and A imposed comparatively no tariffs at all.

Ok,
    The US has led the 70 year post war effort to reduce tariffs barriers and establish a rule-based trading system. From gatt to wto, impediments to free trade have gradually and incrementally been reduced. Not eliminated but reduced to levels that have unleashed massive global prosperity. The biggest winner has been the US. America’s comparative advantage in high value added goods and services has created unprecedented wealth and prosperity. Us comparative advantage lies in skills and education. We create massive wealth and in return open our markets to low value added shit made elsewhere. It’s win-win with rules for adjudicating disputes.

Retreating from the system we built and prosper from, to protect obsolete low value goods created by unskilled and uneducated laggards, is the height of ignorance. Self defeatism at its core. Trumpism at its finest.
    I don't see steel, aluminum, and autos as low value-added shit. All the shit in Walmart, yeah. Nike shoes, yeah, let Chinese kids make them. But when China has a world market share on steel of 47% it's a problem. Now if China could "fairly" produce steel cheaper than the rest of the world, so be it, let them prosper and profit from it. But they don't, it's state-sponsored.

I agree with what you're saying, but some of us think it has gone too far and needs to be rebalanced. There is a hell of a lot of global prosperity out there and those that are prospering, in my opinion, are not giving back like America has. Like China. Those motherfuckers need a tune up.

Get America humming along again, paychecks and prosperity for everyone then we can get back to this fixing the world shit.

I'm on the side that believes it's okay to take a step back, get your house in order, then get back to fixing everybody else.
    Doesn't work well when we are at war with china or one of it's allies and have no steel or aluminum plants. This is a strategic industry that we must maintain.
    No land war in Asia. Even Trump has seen Princess Bride. If not Mad Dog knows this.
    That's Japan. The Chinese are more like the Ferengi from Star Trek. They're a bunch of shysters, it's all about the yuan and ripping people off. Also, the Chinese diet is different than Japanese. You'll see a lot more fat Chinese in China than fat Japanese in Japan. It's a lot dirtier too. You can see the pollution in Shanghai and Beijing from 100s of miles away. There's lots of trash in the streets, motorscooters that will run you over, and people pissing in alleyways.
    Asian culture superiority guy
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,814
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Sledog said:

89ute said:

89ute said:

Ok,

Easily as black cloth isn't bullet proof.
  • Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

89ute said:

89ute said:

Ok,

It's not a free market though. Chinese state sponsored corporations in strategic industries(beyond just steel, Huawei is a serious problem to WORLD security) are engaging in strategic dumping to destroy world competition. Sure, it's costing the average Chinese citizen some of their per capita GDP but wtf does Chinese leadership give a fuck about that if it allows them to challenge the US and establish their own parallel world order. They are playing realpolitik and have a billion slaves to do it with.
    Even with that manipulation we are kicking their ass. Weird.
  • Options

89ute said:

89ute said:

Ok,

It's not a free market though. Chinese state sponsored corporations in strategic industries(beyond just steel, Huawei is a serious problem to WORLD security) are engaging in strategic dumping to destroy world competition. Sure, it's costing the average Chinese citizen some of their per capita GDP but wtf does Chinese leadership give a fuck about that if it allows them to challenge the US and establish their own parallel world order. They are playing realpolitik and have a billion slaves to do it with.
    Seems like they've turned a real corner with making Xi president for life. Things are going to be different now that they have an emperor in charge. They still see themselves as the legitimate rulers of the world, the ancient power that will return to dominance. Trump is doing the right thing challenging them and sticking it to them to try to force policy changes on their side.
  • Options
    SquirtSquirt Member Posts: 485
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    If I weren't a welfare queen I would be mad about my tax dollars being spent on this.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,257
    Swaye's Wigwam

89ute said:

89ute said:

Ok,

Seems like they've turned a real corner with making Xi president for life. Things are going to be different now that they have an emperor in charge. They still see themselves as the legitimate rulers of the world, the ancient power that will return to dominance. Trump is doing the right thing challenging them and sticking it to them to try to force policy changes on their side.
    The way the Commie's created a parallel word trade & political network is happening again today. It's the same countries, Russia and China, they've just shifted to being pseudo fascist regimes now that double speak about democracy and openness etc. while being free of any of the ideology of the socialists. They are still authoritarian through and through though. They've just embraced "more or less" free markets the way the Italian and German fascists did. The Ruskies are even using the same destabilizing playbook they did back in the day because as we all know Putin is former KGB. They've just refined and improved their methods with technology and practice runs on smaller democracies like Ukraine.

I agree that all of these measures are going to hurt the American consumer. I'd rather see that though than China & Russia setting the world's trade rules or worse, having the resources to start further pseudo fascist franchise regimes that will support them.

I reiterate that it was a mistake to scrap the TPP. Hopefully, we can get a bilateral trade deal done with England, gain some momentum around the international trade isn't bad when decent rules are enforced message, and leverage that into further trade deals with other nations that respect human rights and have even a bottom rung level of environmental standards.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

89ute said:

89ute said:

Ok,

The way the Commie's created a parallel word trade & political network is happening again today. It's the same countries, Russia and China, they've just shifted to being pseudo fascist regimes now that double speak about democracy and openness etc. while being free of any of the ideology of the socialists. They are still authoritarian through and through though. They've just embraced "more or less" free markets the way the Italian and German fascists did. The Ruskies are even using the same destabilizing playbook they did back in the day because as we all know Putin is former KGB. They've just refined and improved their methods with technology and practice runs on smaller democracies like Ukraine.

I agree that all of these measures are going to hurt the American consumer. I'd rather see that though than China & Russia setting the world's trade rules or worse, having the resources to start further pseudo fascist franchise regimes that will support them.

I reiterate that it was a mistake to scrap the TPP. Hopefully, we can get a bilateral trade deal done with England, gain some momentum around the international trade isn't bad when decent rules are enforced message, and leverage that into further trade deals with other nations that respect human rights and have even a bottom rung level of environmental standards.
    Interesting take. Xi is more of a potential fascist in the making than Putin imo. China has stepped up its censorship of words since Xi decided to be President for life. Words like "disagree" & phrases like "personality cult" are banned now. Google didn't even work there (not saying that's a bad thing, Google is a shit company that cooperates with foreign governments in censorship), Bing does, but likely only because it's involved in the censorship regime too.

Good riddance to TPP. It was skewed against us and needed to go.

Holding potential trade deals with countries that don't have a good human rights or environmental record, hostage isn't a good policy. Changing the behavior of other nations should not be our priority, unless it directly affects America or US citizens. We aren't the world's policeman anymore.

https://businessinsider.com/censored-words-in-china-xi-jinping-term-limits-2018-2
  • Options
    Dude61Dude61 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,227
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,257
    Swaye's Wigwam

89ute said:

89ute said:

Ok,

Interesting take. Xi is more of a potential fascist in the making than Putin imo. China has stepped up its censorship of words since Xi decided to be President for life. Words like "disagree" & phrases like "personality cult" are banned now. Google didn't even work there (not saying that's a bad thing, Google is a shit company that cooperates with foreign governments in censorship), Bing does, but likely only because it's involved in the censorship regime too.

Good riddance to TPP. It was skewed against us and needed to go.

Holding potential trade deals with countries that don't have a good human rights or environmental record, hostage isn't a good policy. Changing the behavior of other nations should not be our priority, unless it directly affects America or US citizens. We aren't the world's policeman anymore.

https://businessinsider.com/censored-words-in-china-xi-jinping-term-limits-2018-2
    Sark>Ty

WE CREATED THE TERMS OF THE TPP WE COULD HAVE CHANGED THEM TO OUR LIKING. It's not that hard. We were the force behind it and a new president would be just the excuse needed to scrap the current deal and start over. Instead we trashed it and offered no substitute so now all of those countries are lining up to sign up with China's RCEP and their international investment bank. Do you think that's a good thing?

Allowing authoritarian regimes to manipulate world markets to fund their intelligence and military operations that undermine us is FS. That's even if you are an isolationist.
  • Options
    WoofWoof Member Posts: 769
    89ute said:

89ute said:

Ok,

That sounds like a really scary number, but China consumes 46.4% of world steel production, so their net exports are next to nothing. If the US was actually reliant on China for steel I'd be worried, but context is everything. As you've correctly pointed out we're really only reliant on them for cheap plastic shit and other high-labor, low value-add products. These tariffs are just a massive tax imposed on American consumers to throw a bone to the part of the country that delivered the election to Trump.

https://www.worldsteel.org/en/dam/jcr:f9359dff-9546-4d6b-bed0-996201185b12/World+Steel+in+Figures+2018.pdf