Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Russia strikes again

Comments

• Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    edited July 2018
    Actually when things get hacked it's statistically likely that it's the Russian mob or some punk 15 year old nerd

Btp is too dumb so he's safe
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325

If you read the article you’d see they’re using legit credentials to get by security. This isn’t a brute force hack, but rather a social engineering operation. They’re working American citizen assets.

Poont of clarification, the article does not say the Russians have American moles or double-agents or whatever.
    Correct. But the usage of legit credentials to avoid detection implies that the leak is at the personal level. They’re targeting individual employees. Whether they are cooperating/collaborating or just left their laptop open is anyone’s guess. But the idea of a GRU spy trying to get the lower wage employees to cooperate is scarier than the notion that they can hack an air-gapped system.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,356 Founders Club

If you read the article you’d see they’re using legit credentials to get by security. This isn’t a brute force hack, but rather a social engineering operation. They’re working American citizen assets.

Poont of clarification, the article does not say the Russians have American moles or double-agents or whatever.
    Correct. But the usage of legit credentials to avoid detection implies that the leak is at the personal level. They’re targeting individual employees. Whether they are cooperating/collaborating or just left their laptop open is anyone’s guess. But the idea of a GRU spy trying to get the lower wage employees to cooperate is scarier than the notion that they can hack an air-gapped system.
    It's standard phishing to credential theft I'd bet.
    Swaye said:

Possibly. But any system worth a shit has more than an email/password credential. Basic 2-factor means they phished credentials and THEN got to the phone where the verification code generates in order to get in. This means personal contact.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,485 Standard Supporter

Swaye said:

Possibly. But any system worth a shit has more than an email/password credential. Basic 2-factor means they phished credentials and THEN got to the phone where the verification code generates in order to get in. This means personal contact.
    You're throwing some conjecture over top of what was reported.

Swaye said:

Oh I’m speculating about it, no denying that. How they did it is not that big of a deal. What we? are gonna do about it is.
    edited July 2018

Swaye said:

Oh I’m speculating about it, no denying that. How they did it is not that big of a deal. What we? are gonna do about it is.
    That.

I was cheering like every other GOOD American when we! took out the centrifuges with Stuxnet. But even then I was worrying what might be coming back at us.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club
    dnc said:

Swaye said:

Bidness as usual

Swaye said:

That.

I was cheering like every other GOOD American when we! took out the centrifuges with Stuxnet. But even then I was worrying what might be coming back at us.
    Turn off the lights in America for 1 week and the shit will get real. Do lasting damage to a few critical systems and it could spiral into chaos. Infrastructure was the one thing Trump was selling that I was buying, and it ain’t happening any time soon (or ever).

Swaye said:

That.

Turn off the lights in America for 1 week and the shit will get real. Do lasting damage to a few critical systems and it could spiral into chaos. Infrastructure was the one thing Trump was selling that I was buying, and it ain’t happening any time soon (or ever).
    Straight up casus belli, g

Swaye said:

That.

Russia will hack us and then we will invade Iran while we are full of rage. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Swaye said:

That.

Russia will hack us and then we will invade Iran while we are full of rage. Lather, rinse, repeat.
    If Russia did that, and it was 81% publicly clear they did, #MyBolton & the boys are going ham on the Motherland.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,851
    Tommy might be worse than hondo

No.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,844
    edited July 2018
    The grid is fractured and is controlled by hundreds of different PRIVATE entities. Those that wish to hack it or compromise those that control it, replaced terrorism as a bigger threat 15 years ago here in the USA.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

OOYWE
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,356 Founders Club

I don't think AIDS is worse than Hondo.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club
    People forget that Tommy was the original intern for the half brains as he completed his studies in history for Jack Lockner

He barely beat out the other houston husky for the job but performed admirably

• SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,087 Standard Supporter
    Swaye said:

I don't think AIDS is worse than Hondo.
    Or the plague!