Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

What I learned about music on the Vision Quest...

SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
Founders Club
I hadn't really listened to country music in 20 years. It has pretty much all sucked ass since the post Garth Brooks schlock being pushed by Nashville. Buddy told me to itunes two newer guys before I left on my adventure and give them a try.

Best thing to happen to country music in decades imho. It actually sounds like real country music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpxT9Casovk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gBV-Nzq7Pg

That cat Tyler just has such a classic voice, and great songwritting. That cat Sturgill has a more refined sound, and does some seriously cool trippy shit. Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpDYfkymaSE

Good chit.

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye's Wigwam
    And Steve Earl was still kicking ass in the 90s at the peak of the New Country boom.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OHTLioJGXb4
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

And Steve Earl was still kicking ass in the 90s at the peak of the New Country boom.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OHTLioJGXb4

About all I know of Steve Earl
    https://youtu.be/8P4fGErBpfA
    Swaye's Wigwam
    There is a lot of great country being recorded and performed live these days, but you have a do your homework and know where to look. It won't be the folks topping the Billboard county charts...this is the province of feegs like country legend, Clay Helton. And that's the difference between now and country's 1970s outlaw glory days when Waylon and Willie song tuff songs and ruled the airwaves.

That cat, Tyler, looks and sounds how I like my country to be performed.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,043
    Founders Club

There is a lot of great country being recorded and performed live these days, but you have a do your homework and know where to look. It won't be the folks topping the Billboard county charts...this is the province of feegs like country legend, Clay Helton. And that's the difference between now and country's 1970s outlaw glory days when Waylon and Willie song tuff songs and ruled the airwaves.

Always loved me some Steve Earl. I grew up in Texas and one of my Dads constantly had real country on. The sound of my youth at deer leases, in the truck and whatnot was Johnny Paycheck, Merle Haggard, the Man in Black, Waylon and Willie, George Jones, Bob Wills, Hank and Freddie Fender. Bled into David Allan Coe and George Straight. That's real country. Sung by non pretty boys about real shit. Hard life. Blues and country should not be sung by bubble gum pop faggots. The whole point to the music is that it is inspired by a hard life. New country is for total faggots. Country stars should look like this:

Those motherfuckers look tough as horsehide baking in the sun.

Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Always loved me some Steve Earl. I grew up in Texas and one of my Dads constantly had real country on. The sound of my youth at deer leases, in the truck and whatnot was Johnny Paycheck, Merle Haggard, the Man in Black, Waylon and Willie, George Jones, Bob Wills, Hank and Freddie Fender. Bled into David Allan Coe and George Straight. That's real country. Sung by non pretty boys about real shit. Hard life. Blues and country should not be sung by bubble gum pop faggots. The whole point to the music is that it is inspired by a hard life. New country is for total faggots. Country stars should look like this:

Here, here. The country brackets (32 artists most likely) will, hopefully, launch sometime after DNC's Hip Hop tourney and before the Auburn debacle. To keep things fair, I will have to include some new country feegs like Garth, but I'm sure Old Country artists will cruise to the Final 4.

#1 seeds most likely would look like Hank Sr, Merle, Waylon and Johnny Cash.
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Here, here. The country brackets (32 artists most likely) will, hopefully, launch sometime after DNC's Hip Hop tourney and before the Auburn debacle. To keep things fair, I will have to include some new country feegs like Garth, but I'm sure Old Country artists will cruise to the Final 4.

That's some 1 seeds to be proud of. I'd also throw in Dwight Yoakum toward the newer end of the spectrum. Other than that, fuck almost everything from 1992-2018. You could do some fun shit there too, like Ricky Scaggs and whatnot. Can't wait to see it. Metal NIT will be a wrap soon, and then @dnc and the rap game drops. Country legends pole after that. Sweet. Offseason, the best season.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

That's some 1 seeds to be proud of. I'd also throw in Dwight Yoakum toward the newer end of the spectrum. Other than that, fuck almost everything from 1992-2018. You could do some fun shit there too, like Ricky Scaggs and whatnot. Can't wait to see it. Metal NIT will be a wrap soon, and then @dnc and the rap game drops. Country legends pole after that. Sweet. Offseason, the best season.

• UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

That's pretty much the barometer for me for any music. Authenticity. It's why I can love punk, country, rap, metal, etc.

Inevitably the genre becomes popular on the back of authentic artists and then the marketing departments start trying to sell a knock off product that has all of the aesthetics but will never have any of the underlying artistic authenticity. That's part of why I hate Glam metal, late 80's "rock", pop country, lots of 2000's punk, etc.
    Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

That's pretty much the barometer for me for any music. Authenticity. It's why I can love punk, country, rap, metal, etc.

Inevitably the genre becomes popular on the back of authentic artists and then the marketing departments start trying to sell a knock off product that has all of the aesthetics but will never have any of the underlying artistic authenticity. That's part of why I hate Glam metal, late 80's "rock", pop country, lots of 2000's punk, etc.
    Funny thing about country music in the 60's is that even when Nashville was trying to push a "smooth" countrypolitian sound, the artists involved were all still authentic so it didn't matter. Patsy Cline was going to sound great no matter what.
  • UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,093
    Swaye's Wigwam

Swaye said:

Funny thing about country music in the 60's is that even when Nashville was trying to push a "smooth" countrypolitian sound, the artists involved were all still authentic so it didn't matter. Patsy Cline was going to sound great no matter what.
    That's when some really good music can happen when you have an authentic artist who then gets access to all the musical resources a big budget can bring.
    Founders Club
    edited July 2018

Swaye said:

That's when some really good music can happen when you have an authentic artist who then gets access to all the musical resources a big budget can bring.
    Exactly. George Jones was a helluva lot smoother and more well produced than Waylon Jennings. But George Jones grew up the poor kid of an abusive alcoholic shipyard worker in Texas, so even though he was smoothed out in Nashville, that fucker is still legit. All those 1970s are before country singers grew up poor working class, or worse. Legit. These glam fags now are disgusting. I'd like to see the ghost of Waylon kick their fake asses all across the stage - and those old fuckers could do it.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,538
    On a side note your cheating was found out on one of the polls and counted as an automatic loss for whoever you were rooting for.
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Exactly. George Jones was a helluva lot smoother and more well produced than Waylon Jennings. But George Jones grew up the poor kid of an abusive alcoholic shipyard worker in Texas, so even though he was smoothed out in Nashville, that fucker is still legit. All those 1970s are before country singers grew up poor working class, or worse. Legit. These glam fags now are disgusting. I'd like to see the ghost of Waylon kick their fake assess all across the stage - and those old fuckers could do it.
    George Jones is a god

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pE1QYlATnGo
  • DeepSeaZDeepSeaZ Member Posts: 3,901
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    I’ve been listening to Tyler and Sturgill for a couple of months now. Great shit. Hell I thought you might be Tyler after listening to https://youtu.be/_lsran_Slzc. Also check out Colter Wall.
    Founders Club
    DeepSeaZ said:

I’ve been listening to Tyler and Sturgill for a couple of months now. Great shit. Hell I thought you might be Tyler after listening to https://youtu.be/_lsran_Slzc. Also check out Colter Wall.

That's a great song.