Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

"BBK gets dragged for 2+ yards every tackle"

1235»

Comments

• Options
    animateanimate Member Posts: 4,231
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes

Watched the youtube video (I refuse to call it film) against ASU and he didn’t impact the game much. He didn’t look bad tho.

Still can never get over so many actually thinking he sucked. And don’t give me the bullshit about him only being good as a senior. It’s been proven that he was at least above average from his freshman year.

He got better over time, stopped over-running plays and at least got a hand on guys to slow them down and wait for the help. Many times we saw him jump on a RBs back, who then carried him 4 to 7 yards forward, but he hung on and rode the bull down, so there's that, and that is better than Psalm the Whoosher ever was. BBK had speed and could get into the backfield. He just wasn't heavy enough or a good enough tackler to take guys down and out like we want to see. He couldn't push a guard back at all, so he had to run around them, unlike other LBs who can push OLs back, collapse the pocket and disrupt plays. Wish him and his two moms the best in his NFL career.
    Taking on blocks is an overrated skill outside of DL. It’s better to anticipate and avoid them. There are times where it’s good to take on a block so a teammate can make the play, but in space, avoid them. Budda was the best at this.
    It's not just taking on blocks, but blowing up, or at least engaging the guard and disrupting the OLs two-on-one play by forcing the OT into a one-on-one with the DT, which collapses the pocket. BBK wasn't built to do that. It's not his fault that he's not that big or heavy. That's a recruiting issue.

But he frequently tackled very high and rode on RBs backs because he didn't have the size or strength to collapse the pocket or tackle RBs for a loss when he was in the backfield and getting a hand on them. We frequently saw potential 3 or 4 yard losses turned into 3 or 4 yard gains when BBK started with a hand or arm on a guy in the backfield, but got dragged or carried forward for plus yards.
    How many inside linebackers are you watching in today's game that actually do the things you're spelling out? Nobody is looking for a Brian Urlacher type anymore. Being able to diagnose plays and cover sideline to sideline is infinitely more valuable than being able to "blow up" offensive linemen (I honestly cannot remember the last football game where I saw an inside linebacker do that).
    It's not hard. How many times did BBK attempt to make a tackle for a loss or no gain? How many times did he succeed? The success ratio tells you all you need to know about his lack of effectiveness in doing that one thing, which is what this thread is about.

He could cover and do lots of other things and had good speed for an LB, but he was not good at tackles for loss, sacks or stopping the run. Again, that's a lack of depth and recruiting issue and not a slam on BBK.
    I'd rather have bbk to get there, be in position to tackle, diagnose the play so the rest of the defense can figure it out and gang along.

Now that we have more talent his effectiveness is amplified and this translates to the playing field.

Instead we have linebackers that don't even get there to make the tackle or are completely out of the play. Plays are made on our defense because of this deficiency.

Is that better? Is that what you want?

Yeah, I wished bbk was 6'2" 240 with the same athleticism ... But he's far better than what we have currently.