Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Hakeem the Dream and Shawn Kemp

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,925
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Sonics played the Rockets the year after the Rockets went back to back and swept them. Despite that I recall being amazed at the level of basketball being played. That was the 96 run to first runner up
  • Options
    79smoothdawg79smoothdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 709
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The dream shake from the baseline was something special to watch. He was one of my favs
  • Options
    greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,277
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
    Hakeem, Ewing, and The mailman all had a great mid range game
  • Options
    theknowledgetheknowledge Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,558
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I know, I know, pink tutus and shit but those two uniforms are clown duds compared to the traditional red and gold of Houston and the green and gold of Seattle. The Seattle uniforms from the mid eighties to early nineties are one of the best uniforms of all time.
  • Options
    Founders Club

I know, I know, pink tutus and shit but those two uniforms are clown duds compared to the traditional red and gold of Houston and the green and gold of Seattle. The Seattle uniforms from the mid eighties to early nineties are one of the best uniforms of all time.

absolutely agree
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

The Sonics played the Rockets the year after the Rockets went back to back and swept them. Despite that I recall being amazed at the level of basketball being played. That was the 96 run to first runner up

Fat Barkley kind of fucked that one up. The Sonics were always the hardest matchup for the Rockets, I don't think they ever got past them head to head. That being said, the Rockets were a tougher matchup for the Bulls. Not sure about the '96 team, but I think the '94 or '95 Rockets had a legit shot to beat an MJ Bulls team. Hakeem was on another level, T's and P's to the other Hall of Fame centers that tried to check him:

• Options
    Imagine Olajuwon in today's NBA. My fucking god.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2018

"Ah" Capela is bringing back the Center
  • Options

I love his game. Nobody could handle the ball like Hakeem at his size ever. Imagine Hakeem in a small ball lineup, Anthony Davis but even better.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

Hakeem is probably the most underrated player from the 90s. The common fan probably knows more about Karl Malone and John Stockton than Hakeem. Sad.

Malone and Stockton can go f themselves and. Go kiss Hakeem’s Rings
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781

dnc said:

Hakeem is probably the most underrated player from the 90s. The common fan probably knows more about Karl Malone and John Stockton than Hakeem. Sad.

If you haven't noticed, the Johnny short shorts are making a comeback among the ute bball players.

• Options
    edited May 2018

"Although he had not played an NBA game in a year and a half, Jordan played well upon his return, making a game-winning jump shot against Atlanta in his fourth game back. He then scored 55 points in the next game against the Knicks at Madison Square Garden on March 28, 1995.[29] Boosted by Jordan's comeback, the Bulls went 13–4 to make the playoffs and advanced to the Eastern Conference Semifinals against the Orlando Magic."
    People forget that Jordan played 17 games + Playoffs in '95. People forget that. Dropping 55 on the Knicks 4 games back, I don't want to hear about rust. Even his rings are underrated, that Magic team was beastly and they got swept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz7ZUzqG93c
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fat Barkley kind of fucked that one up. The Sonics were always the hardest matchup for the Rockets, I don't think they ever got past them head to head. That being said, the Rockets were a tougher matchup for the Bulls. Not sure about the '96 team, but I think the '94 or '95 Rockets had a legit shot to beat an MJ Bulls team. Hakeem was on another level, T's and P's to the other Hall of Fame centers that tried to check him:

Houston had a real Seattle problem going back to 1987 when the 7th seeded Sonics won a great series. Beat them in 93 as well before losing to Phoenix in the WCF

The only team happier than Denver in 1994 was Houston. Then in 95 the Sonics lost in the first round to the Lakers who really sucked by then

I agree that Houston would have been a tough out for the Bulls. And that Hakem was the shit
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Houston had a real Seattle problem going back to 1987 when the 7th seeded Sonics won a great series. Beat them in 93 as well before losing to Phoenix in the WCF

The only team happier than Denver in 1994 was Houston. Then in 95 the Sonics lost in the first round to the Lakers who really sucked by then

I agree that Houston would have been a tough out for the Bulls. And that Hakem was the shit
    Ackley should have pulled the plug on Karl after the 94 Sonexit.

I have it from a good —and real—source that he caught Karl, ashen, and puking before opening playoff game 1 against Denver. When the source asked Karl, “what’s wrong?” Coach predicted a Nuggets series victory over his 63-19 regular season Sonics.

...Nick Van Excel was no Mutumbo.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Baseman said:

Ackley should have pulled the plug on Karl after the 94 Sonexit.

I have it from a good —and real—source that he caught Karl, ashen, and puking before opening playoff game 1 against Denver. When the source asked Karl, “what’s wrong?” Coach predicted a Nuggets series victory over his 63-19 regular season Sonics.

...Nick Van Excel was no Mutumbo.
    The late Herb Mead told me a story of a time he attended a Sonics practice. Gary Payton was refusing to talk to George Karl. So Karl would give instructions to an assistant coach (Tim Grgurich?) and Grgurich would relay them to Gary, who would be just fifteen feet away. Then Gary would, "Fuck no! Tell him I ain't doin' that!".... etc.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    In ‘95 George’s wife caught him banging his barber.

An epic battle ensued in front of Key Arena on 1st. Words were exchanged. Auto hoods and bumpers—smashed and dented. Just what I heard. Don’t twist.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

I love his game. Nobody could handle the ball like Hakeem at his size ever. Imagine Hakeem in a small ball lineup, Anthony Davis but even better.
    This is what always pissed me off when announcers acted like Dirk was the first 7 footer to handle the ball. Hakeem would catch the ball near the three point line and cross guys up.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Despite being picked over Jordan, Hakeem was a great first pick. He was a dominant player.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Despite being picked over Jordan, Hakeem was a great first pick. He was a dominant player.

Nobody ever bashes the Rockets for not taking Jordan. That's how you know how great Akeem* was.

* The way everyone spelled his name at the tim of the draft.