Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The 1983 Iowa football team had the following coaches

GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
besides Hayden Fry:

– Offensive coordinator Bill Snyder
– Linebackers coach Barry Alvarez
– Offensive line coach Kirk Ferentz
– Defensive line coach Dan McCarney
– Graduate assistant Bob Stoops

Have we ever had any all-star staffs like that?

Comments

• JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 2,030
    I see one natty.
  • NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,423

There is a decent chance we will look back on our current staff in 30 years in awe.

Also, LOL Iowa for ending up with the worst of that group.

I think Iowa State did.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,416 Founders Club

I see one natty.

I see 2-3 natties
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,497 Founders Club
    Iowa in the 80's suffered the only Rose Bowl shutout in decades by our DAWGS then got curb stomped twice by UCLA only to top it off by getting curb stomped by our DAWGS after the 1990 season

No wonder they think Ferentz is the shit. He got curb stomped by USC in the Orange Bowl
  • FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,744

There is a decent chance we will look back on our current staff in 30 years in awe.

I think Iowa State did.
    I can see that argument but McCarney won more at Iowa State than anyone else ever has. Even Johnny Majors only had one winning season in five years at ISU.

Whereas Ferentz took over for Iowa's Don James and has been largely mediocre for the last 15 years.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited May 2018

I think Iowa State did.
    I can see that argument but McCarney won more at Iowa State than anyone else ever has. Even Johnny Majors only had one winning season in five years at ISU.

Whereas Ferentz took over for Iowa's Don James and has been largely mediocre for the last 15 years.
    143-89 for Frye at Iowa. I was too young, but he seems overhyped with that record.

Ferentz is 143-97 at Iowa. He’s mediocre but he’s made a couple BCS Bowls And has 5 top 10 finishes. It seems to me Iowa has been the same type of program for awhile.
    edited May 2018

I think Iowa State did.

143-89 for Frye at Iowa. I was too young, but he seems overhyped with that record.

Ferentz is 143-97 at Iowa. He’s mediocre but he’s made a couple BCS Bowls And has 5 top 10 finishes. It seems to me Iowa has been the same type of program for awhile.
    Frye stayed too long. He was 43-38 in his last 8 years.

Similarly Ferentz, after a great run 2002-2004, has only three seasons in the lsst 13 eith more than 8 wins.

In an alternate universe Frye retires in the early 90s, Iowa hires Alvarez, and Iowa becomes a Big Ten power while Wisconsin remains a doormat forever.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,973 Founders Club
    You guys need to STFU about Coach Frye. The man was a genius of psychology.

• PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,931 Founders Club
    USC had Sark, Kiffin, Chow, and Coach O. Doesn't get more legendary than that!

I think Iowa State did.

I think Iowa State did.

Frye stayed too long. He was 43-38 in his last 8 years.

Similarly Ferentz, after a great run 2002-2004, has only three seasons in the lsst 13 eith more than 8 wins.

In an alternate universe Frye retires in the early 90s, Iowa hires Alvarez, and Iowa becomes a Big Ten power while Wisconsin remains a doormat forever.
    Both good points. Schools like Iowa won't fire a conference champion coach. Mike Price could still be at WSU with a worse overall record

Its like UW giving Owens 8-10 years more than they should have.
    Yeah Ferentz is coach for life.

There is a small but vocal Hawkeye Halfbrain contingent that has been agitating to fire Ferentz for years.

But most Iowa fans are happy if:
    -Beat Iowa St and Minnesota
    -Play clean, well-fought ganes with no injuries against Wisconsin and Nebraska
    -Not too many players doing crimes or drugs
    -Make a bowl in a warm climate
    -Get on ESPN for sappy crap like waving to the dying kids.
  • BaldwinIVBaldwinIV Member Posts: 797

You guys need to STFU about Coach Frye. The man was a genius of psychology.

Explain please.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,342 Swaye's Wigwam

30 years? I know I'll be dead.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,416 Founders Club

Right before Don James died, I asked him what he thought of Sark and the staff. He said, "Well, they've certainly got a lot of energy. More energy than any of my staffs had".
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,571 Standard Supporter
    Christ. Just google image searched "hot iowa coeds" because, well, that's what I do.

Don't do it. Might be the ugliest women I have ever seen in my life.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,497 Founders Club

Right before Don James died, I asked him what he thought of Sark and the staff. He said, "Well, they've certainly got a lot of energy. More energy than any of my staffs had".
    She has a great personality!