Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Greatest War Film of All Time?

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    Zulu

Enemy at the Gates had a nice scene where Rachael Weisz gave Jude Law a handie through his wool commie soldier pants.

The Longest Day was a good war flick, too. John Wayne, Henry Fonda, lots of cameos by Brat Pack era stars.

Longest Day takes me back to rainy weekends watching old war movies with one of my dads on our little black and white tv.....Guns of Navarone, Where Eagles Dare, Sands of Iwo Jima. Pops wouldn't let me watch From Here to Eternity. Too much hetero sex for a youngun
    + A Bridge Too Far
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Full Metal Jacket
    I should have voted Apocalypse Now. The entire sequence with Robert Duvall, but especially when he says "someday this war is gonna end", wins the contest on its own.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    Write-In Option

Some notable omission and/or fuck ups:

Enemy at the Gates - Not the greatest script, but there just aren't enough good options about the Eastern Front where most of war happened.

Master and Commander - There are some corny parts, but there's no other film out there that rivals the sea battles between sailing ships.

Lawrence of Arabia - prolly should have made the cut here, but Peter O' Toole creeps me out much of the time.

Kelly's Heroes - Even though it's an action/comedy, this might be my favorite WWII of all tim.

Inglorious Bastards - I hate Tarantino sometimes, but Waltz plays the best Nazi officer ever on film.

Braveheart - Should have clarified this was about war movies from the 1754 to the present.

Spartacus - Slave revolts aren't really about war.

Hunt for Red October - Cold war thrillers are not war movies.

MASH - Race is right on this one. Terrific film.

So you add an Honorable Mention section and still forget The Deer Hunter? I never realized tall people were dumb.

Also, Master and Commander is the tits. HOLD FAST
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,888
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Das Boot
    Swaye said:

Enemy at the Gates - Not the greatest script, but there just aren't enough good options about the Eastern Front where most of war happened.

Master and Commander - There are some corny parts, but there's no other film out there that rivals the sea battles between sailing ships.

Lawrence of Arabia - prolly should have made the cut here, but Peter O' Toole creeps me out much of the time.

Kelly's Heroes - Even though it's an action/comedy, this might be my favorite WWII of all tim.

Inglorious Bastards - I hate Tarantino sometimes, but Waltz plays the best Nazi officer ever on film.

Braveheart - Should have clarified this was about war movies from the 1754 to the present.

So you add an Honorable Mention section and still forget The Deer Hunter? I never realized tall people were dumb.

Listen, fly-boy, I think parts of that film are great but fuck any movie that tries to shoot a hunting scene in Pennsyltucky with glaciers in the background. There haven't been glaciers in PA since the last ice age. HTH.

I LOVE Master and Commander.

• Options
    Founders Club
    Write-In Option

Swaye said:

Listen, fly-boy, I think parts of that film are great but fuck any movie that tries to shoot a hunting scene in Pennsyltucky with glaciers in the background. There haven't been glaciers in PA since the last ice age. HTH.

Also, Top Gun needs a nod here.

• Options
    Founders Club
    Write-In Option

Swaye said:

Also just realized all of us are dumbasses and forgot the greatest war movie ever made.

It has everything. Chinvasion AND chinsurgency
    While your selection has lots and lots of BBC.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited May 2018
    Das Boot
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Not technically a war movie. Still great inspite of Tom Cruise. I got to go to a private air show at Miramar as a kid once. Way kewl.

Now only douchey Persians fly F-14s.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Write-In Option

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Not technically a war movie. Still great inspite of Tom Cruise. I got to go to a private air show at Miramar as a kid once. Way kewl.

If Maverick vs. Iceman isn't war, I don't know what is.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Das Boot
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

You're dangerous Swaye. I don't like the way you poast sometimes.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Zulu

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Think they've been out of spare parts for a decade.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Zulu
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Flame away, do NOT like Top Gun.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Das Boot

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Think they've been out of spare parts for a decade.
    Good. FTGs.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Write-In Option
    Can we count The Great Escape?

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Write-In Option

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

• Options
    Founders Club
    Write-In Option
    dnc said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

I feel like I hardly know Grundle anymore.