Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Will UW beat UCLA tonight?

I sense some feeling here and elsewhere that the Huskies are going to swim upstream into the Rose Bowl in a few hours against a strong current of football logic and tradition to finally win an important road game, this time over the #13 ranked Bruins. When was the last time that such a thing happened and where can this feeling be coming from?

I can't recall a big Husky win on the road without (I think) going all the way back to our last Rose Bowl season in 2000. Perhaps it was the 42-14 stomping of the ducks in 2002, a game I attended and I believe was the last time we won at Autsen Arena, but might not have been all that big a deal as a road win. I suppose the 32-31 upset of USC in 2010 at the Coliseum was special, but somehow it doesn't seem like it with that loss to ASU a couple of weeks later in Husky Stadium. So why should any of us even speculate about Sark's Huskies charging off the bus this evening so far away in L.A. to crush or at least delay the Bruins hopes for Pac-12 south division glory? LAX is only about a 2 1/2 hour flight from SeaTac, but with the difficulty the Huskies have always had even in good seasons in putting up a good enough effort to win down there, they might just as well be playing in Tuscaloosa or Baton Rouge.

I have to admit that the absolutely pathetic performance in Tempe just four weeks ago still haunts me more than a little bit. How could our football program shit on itself so badly just six games (seven weeks) after playing so well to kick off the 2013 season against Boise State? Sure, BSU isn't as good this year as they've been in recent years, but the Broncos given their much inferior talent and conference competition aren't doing so bad for a rebuilding year. As I look at the schedule and recall how the Huskies won three and lost two games after beating BSU and before getting slaughtered by ASU: it's obvious that the Illinois win was a typical Sark road game cluster-fuck; Idaho State nothing more than a scrimmage; Arizona a good win in horrible conditions; Stanford a loss thanks to Sark's special teams; and the tenth straight loss to Oregon a typical Husky rollover.

Once again in 2013, Sark and his staff obviously failed to get their program prepared in September to play through a tough October schedule without some level of collapse on the road and at home against superior mid-season opposition. There might be many reasons or excuses for this all too familiar failure to rise against the Pac-12 elites, but here in Sark's fifth season, why should we be surprised, shocked, or even give a shit? Well, it's because we as Huskyfans continue to believe or at least I hope we continue to believe that football isn't a sport that should be played for any treason other than winning games. Orange slices are for girls youth soccer, never for full contact football at any level. Expecting less than is possible or acceptable on the gridiron is a coogloser thing which we must always avoid.

As for the game this evening in the Rose Bowl, I will be watching and hoping as I always do to be surprised by the road Huskies coming to play flawless football from the opening kickoff. The hope is not strong, however, for how could we be encouraged by the wins over lowly CAL and Colorado after what we watched the Huskies do in Tempe? I believe Sark has lost this team and program and he probably has never had control of it on the road. I hope I'm wrong about that, not for the Sark's job security, but because I think the program now has some good young coaches in Wilcox, Sirmon, Heyward, Lupoi, Tuiasosopo, and Paopao. Of course, the Huskies from seniors to freshmen need to play a tough, close, and competitive game against a host team that has always been difficult for us to beat. To somehow come away with a win, UW will need a lot of help not only from the Bruins, but also from a head coach that has been outcoached by the other sideline too many times again this season. As the suspense builds, I wonder if as a couch potato I'll make it into the third quarter still watching the game....... or buried as I usually am on Friday nights in a good book.

Comments

• Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,662 Founders Club
    Credit where credit's due, the 2010 win over USC was a good road win. I don't see them winning this game mainly due to lack of discipline and mental toughness. I don't think the schemes and play calling are as horrid as some make them out to be.

In yr 5 you should be able to crack .500 on the road. Does anyone see that happening?
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    Not counting a bowl game, which I'm not certain can be counted as a road game, the best the 2013 Huskies can do is 2-2 in conference on the road which I don't believe can be good enough. To once again become the program we need to be, UW should never get upset on the road by mid to low level Pac teams and should always do no worse than split on the road with the top level teams (USC, Stanford, Oregon, ASU, and UCLA).
  • Homebrew_DawgHomebrew_Dawg Member Posts: 1,650
    edited November 2013
    Been hearing a lot about tanking on sports talk radio in regard to pro teams (NFL & NBA) deliberating loosing to posture for a better draft position. Obviously no draft in college football, but if Huskies tanked by losing three straight to finish the season, and Sark is fired, I am in favor of tanking.

Not my proudest admission, but I fear being stuck with Sark. As long as he is the HC at WA, mediocrity will prevail. The best we can ever expect from Sark is an occasional 9 or 10 win season, but never a conference or national title.

Sark is not, has never been, and will never be good enough for WA.

According Sinister Times Husky blogger, Adam Jood, I am melodramatic and shortsighted.

Therefore, I like the Bruins tonight.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    If UW wins tonight your fight is over, Sark will get the extension.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Mosster47 said:

If UW wins tonight your fight is over, Sark will get the extension.

Disagree. He either already has it or Woodward is letting it play out.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    Unless it has something to do with getting punched in the face repeatedly in the first quarter by the host team, I'd have to say that tanking must be a myth in college football. Let's face it (pun intended), the Tempe slaughter showed those opponents who didn't already know that the Huskies are physically and mentally soft on both lines and the way to get a jump on SarkBall is to smash it in the mouth early and a lot. UCLA may be young and lacking in depth on the line of scrimmage, but they are physical, tough, and athletic. If Sark can't come back and beat Mora tonight, it could be a long long time before he gets another chance.