Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Kale Millen commits to Oregon

Comments

• Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    pat_hm said:

Millen's measurables are fantastic and he's only going to get better.

6-4, 4.86, 37 inch vert, 4.3 shuttle: Jesus. Looks amazing. We fucked up. Oh well.

Millen is good, but if he turns out better than Morris I don't think it will have much to do with his athleticism. Never have I looked at Browning play and thought "if only he could jump higher".
    I think the issue is more about his ability to extend plays, not go down easily when hit (flexibility and quickness/explosion) and pick up first downs with his feet.

I think these things matter a lot. When a kid has great film: then the numbers matter IMO because they tell you what he can eventually be.
    I think it matters too, but scrambling is a combination of functional mobility and instincts. Millen is way more explosive, but I don't think he's significantly faster than Morris. He's a better runner, but I don't think he's significantly better at extending plays. As long as you're a functional scrambler, I don't care that much about testing numbers. Millen is an impressive athlete, and he's taller, but I think they're pretty similar both in terms of their throwing ability and their ability to extend plays.

In the end I think they both a decent arms, good ball placement, and decent mechanics. While I will give Millen a small + for size and athleticism, Morris also has decent functional mobility. There's so little difference between them I can't really agree that we fucked up. They're both good. I think we should have offered both and see how that would've played out, but I don't see how we massively fucked up here.

I will say that if Millen has any kind of success at all in college he'll be a high draft pick based on his athleticism alone, and that would have been good for UWs brand even if he turns out to be Bortles 2.0. I can't say with any confidence who of them will have the most college success though. I'm a little uncomfortable not having a hot take, but I just think they're both good.

Morris is fine, but he's a 3* QB. Millen is a late-bloomer and Morris is a not-bloomer.

By the way - your logic is bad about the athleticism - as kids develop, being able to get the instincts to action is about athleticism. Instincts develop over time and as Millen's improve his body will help him carry them out quickly and with explosion. Morris? Not so much.

I don't hate Morris - I just see Jake Heaps.
    Petersen already planting seeds for the 2028 QB class when Morris takes over running the Russell Wilson Passing Academy. Meanwhile Millen will be doing Duck radio in Portland. Chess vs Checkers.
    I see the plan.
  • Options
    NurpleNurple Member Posts: 686
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    I could care less about the intricacies of salmonella
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2018
    Cristobal is merciless. He must be confident the older brother will be starting after Herbert leaves. Can't have two Millens sitting on the bench.

• Options
    HuskyClawsHuskyClaws Member Posts: 1,170
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    elord821 said:

Cristobal is merciless. He must be confident the older brother will be starting after Herbert leaves. Can't have two Millens sitting on the bench.

Cristobal probably didn't know that Clay Millen existed until he sent that tweet out.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    It's a ploy to get his little brother who is going to be a great one.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    RDR said:

One of the minor storylines that surrounded Millen's commitment is the fact that his father, Hugh Millen, was a starting quarterback for Oregon's rival, the Washington Huskies. Kale Millen told Greg Biggins that he didn't have any distaste for the Ducks growing up.

“Actually, a lot of people think that but for a long time, the Huskies weren’t as good as the Ducks, so it wasn’t really a rivalry. The Ducks were just smashing them. So as a little kid, I’m like ‘My team sucks’ so I was always a Pac-12 guy. I liked USC, Stanford, Oregon. I’ve always had a dream to play in the Pac-12. Oregon fits me and I’m really excited. Mario Cristobal is awesome, Coach Arroyo is awesome and I can’t wait to play for Oregon.”

GTFOH with that @backthepack bullshit.

What do you expect him to say? He took the best offer out there, to his dream school's biggest rival. He can't be like "yeah we always hated the Ducks".

This is just a diplomatic statement. Notice he lists Oregon last of the Pac12 schools he liked.

He still wants to come here.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,449
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I stand with Pete
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,794
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    RDR said:

One of the minor storylines that surrounded Millen's commitment is the fact that his father, Hugh Millen, was a starting quarterback for Oregon's rival, the Washington Huskies. Kale Millen told Greg Biggins that he didn't have any distaste for the Ducks growing up.

“Actually, a lot of people think that but for a long time, the Huskies weren’t as good as the Ducks, so it wasn’t really a rivalry. The Ducks were just smashing them. So as a little kid, I’m like ‘My team sucks’ so I was always a Pac-12 guy. I liked USC, Stanford, Oregon. I’ve always had a dream to play in the Pac-12. Oregon fits me and I’m really excited. Mario Cristobal is awesome, Coach Arroyo is awesome and I can’t wait to play for Oregon.”

GTFOH with that @backthepack bullshit.

I hate the rest of the pac-12 fuck off.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    Swaye's Wigwam
    12 years of as kickings is a long time to be fair

Compared to the last two when these recruits were already in high school

When I was a kid growing up UW sucked for the most part and I was a USC fan every Jan 1 and like Oklahoma and some other national teams.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    Swaye's Wigwam
    What'a up David?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I don’t necessarily expect Morris to play at UW ... but I’m more than happy to have Morris over Millen