Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Round 1 (60's Groups) - #4 Hendrix vs #13 Velvet Underground

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,952
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
I'm waiting for the man, 26 dollars in my hand...oh wait the man is Hendrix

Round 1 (60's Groups) - #4 Hendrix vs #13 Velvet Underground 39 votes

#4 Our? Jimi Hendrix
89%
Fire_Marshall_BillSwayeSoutherndawgBennyBeaverRoadDawg55Mad_SonDennis_DeYoungUWhuskytskeetYouKnowItCokeGreaterThanPepsidncchuckdfleaoregonblitzkriegTequillaBad_MotherDuckerGrundleStiltzkinKaepskneeEwaDawgAlexis 35 votes
#13 Velvet Underground
10%
AZDuckPurpleThrobberDooglesIPukeOregonGrellow 4 votes

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #4 Our? Jimi Hendrix
    Another chinteresting match up here and not as easy as you might think. Lou Reed is a fucking god and the Velvets were the first great cult band with a tremendous influence on punk. That said, Jake Browning sucks, and you better bring your A game to knock off Jimi.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    #4 Our? Jimi Hendrix
    Anybody who votes Velvet Underground sucks.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #4 Our? Jimi Hendrix

If you can't see Jimi's seeding is a fucking joke I can't help you.

The competition if stiff here. Everyone ahead of him was more influential overall. Now if Jimi had MORE TIME, then who knows how it would have played out.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #4 Our? Jimi Hendrix
    Swaye said:

Jimi is the most dangerous 4 seed in the tourney.
    Rather easily. I am a YUGE Bowie fan and would rank him on par with Jimi in overall importance to rock history, but I don't think much of the bored will see it that way. Talking Heads are dun and The White Stripes prolly won't go too far.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    #4 Our? Jimi Hendrix

Swaye said:

Rather easily. I am a YUGE Bowie fan and would rank him on par with Jimi in overall importance to rock history, but I don't think much of the bored will see it that way. Talking Heads are dun and The White Stripes prolly won't go too far.
    I love the White Stripes but they'er too high, even in their weak bracket. Jimi is the strongest four seed but the three above him are tough. Twill be chinteresting.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #4 Our? Jimi Hendrix
    dnc said:

Swaye said:

I love the White Stripes but they'er too high, even in their weak bracket. Jimi is the strongest four seed but the three above him are tough. Twill be chinteresting.
    We have to keep in mind I did seedings based more on what I would view as popular opinion amongst rock critics and what not. Most critics would have Nirvana at #1 and crushing Soundgarden. That probably won't happen here. Same things with Hendrix - Beatles, Stones and Dylan all come before him in the rock intelligentsia hierarchy.
  • Options
    #4 Our? Jimi Hendrix

dnc said:

Swaye said:

We have to keep in mind I did seedings based more on what I would view as popular opinion amongst rock critics and what not. Most critics would have Nirvana at #1 and crushing Soundgarden. That probably won't happen here. Same things with Hendrix - Beatles, Stones and Dylan all come before him in the rock intelligentsia hierarchy.
    I get that.

Are the White Stripes generally regarded above GnR? Seriously? I know White is a virtuoso but the Stripes aren't even his best work IMO (I prefer the Racontouers), and we all know Meg is nothing special. GnR has two absolute legends in Axl and Slash and a body of work that transcended their era far more than TWS ever did. I get it's not just a popularity contest but I can't see TWS > GnR in any serious ranking.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #4 Our? Jimi Hendrix
    dnc said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:

I get that.

Are the White Stripes generally regarded above GnR? Seriously? I know White is a virtuoso but the Stripes aren't even his best work IMO (I prefer the Racontouers), and we all know Meg is nothing special. GnR has two absolute legends in Axl and Slash and a body of work that transcended their era far more than TWS ever did. I get it's not just a popularity contest but I can't see TWS > GnR in any serious ranking.
    It's open for debate. G n R only had 1 truly classic album (and 2 good ones). White Stripes had 2 great ones IMO. But you're probably right, they might be a bit high. That said, Teams get seeded too low or high all the tim. Washington was a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney once. Don't forget that.
  • Options
    #4 Our? Jimi Hendrix

dnc said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:

I get that.

It's open for debate. G n R only had 1 truly classic album (and 2 good ones). White Stripes had 2 great ones IMO. But you're probably right, they might be a bit high. That said, Teams get seeded too low or high all the tim. Washington was a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney once. Don't forget that.
    And Washington had actually earned that #1 seed based on it's resume on Selection Sunday. People REALLY forget that.

Not sure one can say the same for TWS, who aren't even one of the Rolling Stone's top 100 artists of all tim. I'm not sure what other intelligensia has them higher than GnR, that's all I'm axing.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #4 Our? Jimi Hendrix
    dnc said:

dnc said:

dnc said:

Swaye said:

I get that.

And Washington had actually earned that #1 seed based on it's resume on Selection Sunday. People REALLY forget that.

Not sure one can say the same for TWS, who aren't even one of the Rolling Stone's top 100 artists of all tim. I'm not sure what other intelligensia has them higher than GnR, that's all I'm axing.
    The biased intelligensia in my head.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #4 Our? Jimi Hendrix
    This is a fucking terrible pairing. Jimi's seeding is a joke.

VU is fucking amazing. One of the truly great and influential bands... but Jimi is Jimi.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #4 Our? Jimi Hendrix

This is a fucking terrible pairing. Jimi's seeding is a joke.

VU is fucking amazing. One of the truly great and influential bands... but Jimi is Jimi.

Anyone in this bracket not named Stones, Dylan or Beatles would have been tough sledding against Jimi. Is what it is.

• Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,148
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    #4 Our? Jimi Hendrix
    Disagree on everything Velvet Underground. No talent hacks championed by drug induced music writers
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

The competition if stiff here. Everyone ahead of him was more influential overall. Now if Jimi had MORE TIME, then who knows how it would have played out.
    Sorry, this is objectively wrong. Nothing from that era has influenced music more than how Jimi transformed the way the electric guitar was played. You could argue Jimi is a 1 seed if you combined all eras if you want to talk about sheer influence. There isn't a single musician on any list that has been imitated more than Jimi Hendrix.
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #4 Our? Jimi Hendrix

Disagree on everything Velvet Underground. No talent hacks championed by drug induced music writers

You're kidding... they have tons of great songs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytK660FVoTw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hugY9CwhfzE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_4wKYrky4k
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qK82JvRY5s

If you don't like these you need to do more drugs.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,623
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #4 Our? Jimi Hendrix
    You can't seed Hendrix ahead of the three acts in front if him guys. Three amazing studio albums, a half baked release by Band of Gypsies,and a bunch of money grab compilations released after his death simply can't match the overall production of the top three...like them or not.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #4 Our? Jimi Hendrix
    chuck said:

You can't seed Hendrix ahead of the three acts in front if him guys. Three amazing studio albums, a half baked release by Band of Gypsies,and a bunch of money grab compilations released after his death simply can't match the overall production of the top three...like them or not.

This. Yes, Jimi it the single most important and influential electric guitarist all time. No one in there right mind would disagree. That fact alone, however, isn't necessarily enough to Trump the achievements of the Beatles, Stones, Dylan, etc. I'm going to keep my powder dry on this subject though until we get to the sweet 16 and things get really chinteresting and heated.