Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

The many myths of Mark Emmert

CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,004 Founders Club
edited February 2013 in Hardcore Husky Board
So there was an ass-kicking on Dawgman today. Our favorite skinny jeans wearing punk ass bitch, Kim Grinolds was the subject of this ass-kicking. It all came about when a poster claimed that Emmert was a disaster for football. Grinolds challenged him by saying that Emmert was great for the university (sure, I'll go with that), that Emmert did not hire Turner (false) and that Emmert had little part in hiring Ty because he let the AD do that for him (false).

At some point a couple years back, I searched the Seattle Times for any articles mentioning both Emmert and Turner. I shared a couple of those links and some statements in those stories with some of you. For those that missed it, here are the links and statements proving Kim Grinolds is a lying little bitch and disproving the myth of the Football President. Enjoy

seattletimes.com/html/sports/2002118666_uwfb14.html

But Turner and Emmert each said yesterday their No. 1 choice was Willingham, not only for his coaching ability — he is 65-51-1 in 10 years at Stanford and Notre Dame — but for his commitment to academics and compliance with NCAA rules.

"For me, this was a very, very easy choice," Emmert said. "When we sat down and talked to Tyrone, it couldn't have been clearer in my mind that this was the man we wanted to lead the University of Washington back to its former glory days."

When Willingham was fired, Emmert said, "we were absolutely stunned and elated because we knew we had a chance to bring someone to the University of Washington who had all the characteristics we were looking for."

community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20041111&slug=uwnotes11

*Advisory committee set*

UW athletic director Todd Turner has formed a nine-person advisory committee to help in the search for a new football coach.

The committee members are: former UW player Rick Redman, Tyee Board member Tom Wolthausen, UW Board of Regents member Dan Evans, former player and Big W Club director Greg Lewis, men's tennis coach Matt Anger, senior associate athletic director Marie Tuite, donor Neal Dempsey, faculty athletic representative Pat Dobel, and Peter Dukes, the associate dean of the business school and chair of the faculty advisory committee on athletics.

The committee isn't expected to play the same role as similar committees did when Barbara Hedges was athletic director, with Turner and UW president Mark Emmert expected to take the lead in the search for a new coach. But the committee may help in interviewing candidates on campus.

community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20040620&slug=uwad20

But Emmert, who won't officially start at UW until next month, said the contract is fitting of what he called "clearly one of the best
athletic-director jobs in the country."

Turner agreed with that assessment, despite the troubles of the past year. He said the recent run-ins with the NCAA "were not a factor for me (in pursuing the job).

"There have been some things that have happened. But I'm convinced this is not an environment that is broken horribly. It just needs a little focus."

Emmert, who made the final call, said Turner's blend of experience — he has now been employed as an AD in four of the six BCS conferences — and reputation for following the rules is what UW needs.

"He is a seasoned pro with all of the values we wanted to see here at the University of Washington," Emmert said.

Emmert said Turner was his top choice for the job, disputing reports that Utah's Chris Hill had been offered the position first before rejecting it.

Emmert said there never was an offer made to Hill, who publicly withdrew from the search on June 8.

"Obviously he was somebody we were looking at closely," Emmert said of Hill. "Very quickly, we got it down to two serious candidates (Hill and Turner). I was looking at both of them. But at the end of the day, Todd was clearly the best fit for the university. He was somebody that everybody felt very, very comfortable with very, very quickly."

That Hill made a final visit to UW before Turner did not signify that Hill as first on the pecking order, Emmert said. Hill visited Seattle with his wife two weeks ago before pulling out. Turner came this week with his wife and son. The two sides reached agreement after three days of talks.

"I already knew Todd a little, so I needed to spend some more time with Chris," Emmert said. "So I had them come in, kick the tires and see what the fit was or wasn't, and at the end of the process, Chris and his family made the perfectly good decision to stay at Utah."

Emmert and Turner have known each other for at least four years when each worked on a Southeastern Conference committee when Emmert was chancellor at LSU and Turner was AD at Vanderbilt.

Turner had expressed interest in the UW job before Emmert became UW's new president in March, but said the position became that much more appealing once Emmert got on board.

He said when he heard of Emmert's appointment at UW, he sent an e-mail to Emmert "that if I can be helpful in any way, please let me know."

Ultimately, Turner said, Emmert "was the reason my family and I decided that this is the best place for us."

community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20040620&slug=les20

The moment Mark Emmert walked through the door and said he would be president, the old Husky world shook. It hasn't seen a man like this at the top of the campus, someone who will overlook the sports empire and make decisions with a clap of the hand.

Emmert has inherited an oil slick, one that has taken months to contain. And now with the whole mess tugged ashore and thrown before the NCAA for inspection, the first thing he has done is hire the man who would make sure it could never happen again.

community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=20040619&slug=uwad19

If Turner is named today, it will be the first major decision of Emmert's UW career.

He hasn't officially started at Washington — he didn't complete his job as chancellor at LSU until this week and is expected to take a vacation before beginning at UW next month.

But Emmert let it be known early that he would make the final call on the AD job, part of what is expected to be a strong hand in all decisions involving Washington athletics.

Comments