Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Kirby Smart

Comments

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Might be the next Nick Holt though.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,650
    edited November 2013

Hiring Nick Saban's defensive coordinator is like hiring Pete Carroll's defensive coordinator

Or hell, even his offensive coordinator.

• sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    If he's so smart, why is his name still Kirby?

Ask Barbaro.

Ask Barbaro.

• GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    Yes another coordinator who has literally 100% superior talent than those on his schedule. Nothing could go wrong there. I think I am being whooshed.
  • no_uhno_uh Member Posts: 765
    Gladstone said:

Yes another coordinator who has literally 100% superior talent than those on his schedule. Nothing could go wrong there. I think I am being whooshed.

He's going to be Saban's successor if he doesn't get poached first. Alabama was still a dumpster fire when he and Saban arrived - not like getting superior talent isn't part of the game or is completely separate from coaching. I guess we can argue over who is less of a sure thing, but the sure thing is that he would be a significant improvement over Sark in all aspects. The sad part is that I doubt we even have the clout to swing one of the best coordinators in the country, or anything that is as close to a "sure thing" as most of you would like to believe.

• topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    no_uh said:

Gladstone said:

He's going to be Saban's successor if he doesn't get poached first. Alabama was still a dumpster fire when he and Saban arrived - not like getting superior talent isn't part of the game or is completely separate from coaching. I guess we can argue over who is less of a sure thing, but the sure thing is that he would be a significant improvement over Sark in all aspects. The sad part is that I doubt we even have the clout to swing one of the best coordinators in the country, or anything that is as close to a "sure thing" as most of you would like to believe.

He's a dumb fuck if he is looking to be Saban's successor.

If he is as good as you say he is he will be pushing his agent to get him the fuck out of Alabama before Saban.
    no_uh said:

Gladstone said:

You must be awfully new here.

We don't give a fuck what coordinators do under great coaches.
    My bad, my bad, I forgot we only go for hardass NFL failures who can't even win a Holiday Bowl.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,842 Founders Club

No, no, no, maybe no ,no

No, no, no, maybe, no ,no

disagree
  • Does Will Muschump ring a fucking bell? I doubt UW would hire Kirby Smart but I would be fucking pissed if they did.

Saban just like Carroll at USC has his hand prints all over that defense. I don't trust Smart at all to be a good head coach.
    edited November 2013
    Bring on the downvotes. We'll let it play out, but I'll be sure to bump this thread in a few years when Saban Jr. is coaching in the NC game and we are still playing in Ciudad Juarez or whatever other shit tier bowl under our next shitty hire. For those that throw out Muschamp, Nick Holt, or Sark, there's also Gus Malzahn and numerous others with limited, if any headcoaching experience who have gone on to have success. There's plenty of room for distinguishing them from each other as well. It's a gamble hire either way. Not sure why any of you are convinced that hiring a HC with success in a shit tier conference is more of a sure thing. I also get that Mora is coveted, and should've been our hire - but again, not sure that 1) we can/would go after him with success (especially under current leadership) and 2) he is the solution. I seriously doubt that UW is committed to spending the $$$ to make a hire that would be any closer to a sure thing.
    no_uh said:

Bring on the downvotes. We'll let it play out, but I'll be sure to bump this thread in a few years when Saban Jr. is coaching in the NC game and we are still playing in Ciudad Juarez or whatever other shit tier bowl under our next shitty hire. For those that throw out Muschamp, Nick Holt, or Sark, there's also Gus Malzahn and numerous others with limited, if any headcoaching experience who have gone on to have success. It's a gamble hire either way. Not sure why any of you are convinced that hiring a HC with success in a shit tier conference is more of a sure thing. I also get that Mora is coveted, and should've been our hire - but again, not sure that 1) we can/would go after him with success (especially under current leadership) and 2) he is the solution. I seriously doubt that UW is committed to spending the $$$ to make a hire that would be any closer to a sure thing.

There is no magic bullet.

Malzahn worked his way up as an OC at three different schools before he started getting HC gigs. He didn't build his resume as a coffee bitch for a great HC.

no_uh said:

Bring on the downvotes. We'll let it play out, but I'll be sure to bump this thread in a few years when Saban Jr. is coaching in the NC game and we are still playing in Ciudad Juarez or whatever other shit tier bowl under our next shitty hire. For those that throw out Muschamp, Nick Holt, or Sark, there's also Gus Malzahn and numerous others with limited, if any headcoaching experience who have gone on to have success. It's a gamble hire either way. Not sure why any of you are convinced that hiring a HC with success in a shit tier conference is more of a sure thing. I also get that Mora is coveted, and should've been our hire - but again, not sure that 1) we can/would go after him with success (especially under current leadership) and 2) he is the solution. I seriously doubt that UW is committed to spending the $$$ to make a hire that would be any closer to a sure thing.

There is no magic bullet.

Malzahn worked his way up as an OC at three different schools before he started getting HC gigs. He didn't build his resume as a coffee bitch for a great HC.
    Agreed. I'm not against coordinator hires. I'm against hiring a coordinator who hasn't proven proven himself in multiple settings with varied talent levels under different HC's.

I'm also against paying any coordinator like a proven top level HC.

• topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    no_uh said:

Gus also coaches at a school that cares ...

hth
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,099 Founders Club
    Malazhan was the OC on a national champion with a shitty head coach who got fired two years later. That is a difference. Don James really doesn't have that great a coaching tree. Saban was a GA at Kent State for one year. Mora the First was a DC for James for a couple years. Pinkel is Lambo.

I'm too lazy but I would surmise, with exceptions of course, that the greater the head coach the more risky it is to hire his coordinators. The Bellicheck guys come to mind.

Muschamp is odd because Mac Brown is not known for defense or being all that great other than at recruiting. But Florida has a very good defense. They have a shitty offense so maybe Muschamp does prove something.

KobeStopper has the research that hiring a coordinator is no more risky that hiring a mid major head guy - that isnt the issue. It is which coordinators that are the issue.

Saban is a control freak who coaches the defensive backs and is the Defensive Coordinator. Nussmeir is the guy that did well here and at Bama and would be the guy I'd hire if I was looking there.

I know we want defense but the point is that Nuss has shown under two coaches he can do it and we know now that Sark is a fraud as far as offense goes.

What we need is the next Mike Lude as AD, then we'll get the next Don James. Or Skip Belly
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,293 Founders Club
    Bill Walsh, Tom Landry, and Bill Parcells, were all pretty decent coaches with pretty decent coaching trees.