Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Carson Bruener, 4* 2020 LB, Redmond (HS), WA (COMMITTED)

Comments

• Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Houhusky said:

the film looks good, that’s about all to get from it.

IMO WR and LB are the hardest to actually project how individual players will do at each jump; HS—CFB—NFL

It’s worrying the UW staff seems particularly bad at it though.

WR is one of the easiest
    No it’s not...

There are a massive number of high 3 and 4 star WRs that completely flame out in college.

Likewise there are a ton of WRs that produce great numbers in college that never live up to their draft position in the NFL.

Just look at the WRs just drafted in the first round between 2017-2014... half of them havent lived up to their draft position or are on their way out... and these are the super high end first round draft pick guys... let alone the bunches of guys that are regularly drafted in rounds 3-6...

Corey Davis (5), John Ross (9), Corey Coleman (15), Will Fuller (21), Josh Doctson (22), Laquon Treadwell (23), Kevin White (7), Breshad Perriman (26), Sammy Watkins (4), Kelvin Benjamin (28)

There have been a ton of studies and papers done the the low success rate and variability of WRs in the NFL... especially those drafted in earlier rounds...

• Options
    Beno4LifeBeno4Life Member Posts: 533

We could use him this weekend. Probably needs to gain some weight, but (old white guy voice) he just knows how to play football

I'd thought the same about Jackson Sirmon too.
    Way more violent than Sirmon’s HS tape.

What’s surprised me about Sirmon’s play after a year in the program compared to his HS tape is how bad his instincts have been this year. He never looked athletic in his HS tape, but I thought he was more of a BBK instinctual ’backer.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

FirePete said:

dnc said:

FirePete said:

dnc said:

FirePete said:

Emoterman said:

I 'member the days when people weren't excited about Bruener.

I'm still not. I'll believe it when I see it with these ILBs. I'm only excited about Calvert and to some extent Ulo.

I bet you care about stars and don't appreciate diamonds in the rough.
    The diamond in the ruff beef Wellington and manu are paying big dividends
    Wellington was a 4 star
    Was he really??? Wow. That 4 star paying big time dividends
    Why do you think all the TBS'ers were so excited to replace BBK with him?
    Jimmy Lake said it too. I’m concerned about stuff like that, especially when you factor in the WR and ILB, and Cam Williams bullshit that happened this year.

Yes, the coaches are around these guys more than anyone but they can still play favorites and not really know their personnel. It definitely happened this year.
    I thought eifler was being a little bitch, but I think he was rightfully concerned that Gregory was playing favorites and that is why he sold the couch. He would have been an upgrade for us
    Eifler sucks. He’s not even good at Illinois but posters know he plays a little bit there and lament him as a great loss.

Still better than Manu. Bolton and Weaver are the real losses tho. Have those two and we have a much better defense this year and win a couple more games.
    that was the point, i am not setting the bar high
  • Options
    NorwegianHuskyNorwegianHusky Member Posts: 3,422
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Emoterman said:

I'm still not. I'll believe it when I see it with these ILBs. I'm only excited about Calvert and to some extent Ulo.

Ulo was a 2-star and I always liked him.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

IMO WR and LB are the hardest to actually project how individual players will do at each jump; HS—CFB—NFL

WR is one of the easiest
    No it’s not...

There are a massive number of high 3 and 4 star WRs that completely flame out in college.

Likewise there are a ton of WRs that produce great numbers in college that never live up to their draft position in the NFL.

Just look at the WRs just drafted in the first round between 2017-2014... half of them havent lived up to their draft position or are on their way out... and these are the super high end first round draft pick guys... let alone the bunches of guys that are regularly drafted in rounds 3-6...

Corey Davis (5), John Ross (9), Corey Coleman (15), Will Fuller (21), Josh Doctson (22), Laquon Treadwell (23), Kevin White (7), Breshad Perriman (26), Sammy Watkins (4), Kelvin Benjamin (28)

There have been a ton of studies and papers done the the low success rate and variability of WRs in the NFL... especially those drafted in earlier rounds...

This is interesting but pretty worthless. That data set is just way too large to draw any real conclusions. The NFL is a completely different game that it was 1990, let alone 1980.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

WR is one of the easiest
    No it’s not...

WR looks like one of the stronger correlations between round drafted and whether or not they live up to their pick. It's not likely anyone lives up to their pick, but as WR you have a much better chance the earlier you are drafted, which suggests they can evaluate the position fairly well.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Emoterman said:

Ulo was a 2-star and I always liked him.
    I had no idea who Ulo even was until he played special teams and forced a fumble. I was wondering where he was all season and questioning why he wasn’t getting a shot considering how bad our ILB had been. I had no doubts he was better than both Sirmon and Manu who are both horrible. At least Sirmon has improved to being somewhat serviceable and not the huge liability he was most the season.
  • Options
    Neighbor2972Neighbor2972 Member Posts: 4,296
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

WR is one of the easiest
    No it’s not...

This is interesting but pretty worthless. That data set is just way too large to draw any real conclusions. The NFL is a completely different game that it was 1990, let alone 1980.
    Approximate Value also isn't a very good stat. Though I understand why they use it because its hard to measure 'busts'.

By AV Germain Ifedi was a very good draft pick for the Seahawks, because he has started nearly every game of his career, even if he's been barely above replacement level.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

Houhusky said:

Houhusky said:

WR is one of the easiest
    No it’s not...

Approximate Value also isn't a very good stat. Though I understand why they use it because its hard to measure 'busts'.

By AV Germain Ifedi was a very good draft pick for the Seahawks, because he has started nearly every game of his career, even if he's been barely above replacement level.
    That too.

And fuck Ifedi.
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,304
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club

I loved Welly as a prospect. Thought he would be good. The only thing that pissed me off were the idiots that would cherry pick BBK plays and pretend he wasn’t good and wanted Wellington to play over him.

I still thought he would be a good starter this year. He sucks.

• Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,914
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    edited December 2019
    It's been 18 minutes since this picture has been posted and no one has mentioned the obvious

Sweatpants dong outline
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,276
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Like we say, if Gregory can coach as good as he can decorate, 2023 will be special.

lol

Extra points for the sweats. This kid is going to be my fav