Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Useful(?) (Ch)Interactive (Ch)Infographic

AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
I am still ironing out some of this stuff, so I am not sure the map is 100% accurate yet. I am struggling a little with being able to show all of the detail related to multiple high schools in the same city.

Blue Chip (24/7 Sports Composite Top 400): 2006-2018

Interactive Tableau Map Link

Comments

• Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    *Chinteractive *Chinographic *Tablow
  • Options
    jarlsbergraygunjarlsbergraygun Member Posts: 34
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited February 2018
    My .02, but what you might think of doing is adding category distinctions to the schools. Something like being able to toggle between schools(UW) or leagues (PAC) which would show recruiting maps per selection. You might set it up by having a table with all schools and a table with all leagues and then connect them to your aggregate table with a key. This would give us a visual of our(?) footprint vs. other schools or leagues. Depending on what sort of timings you have in there, you could slice by time, too. Good Tableau-job though, this is the best way to learn to Tableau-me.
  • Options

My .02, but what you might think of doing is adding category distinctions to the schools. Something like being able to toggle between schools(UW) or leagues (PAC) which would show recruiting maps per selection. You might set it up by having a table with all schools and a table with all leagues and then connect them to your aggregate table with a key. This would give us a visual of our(?) footprint vs. other schools or leagues. Depending on what sort of timings you have in there, you could slice by time, too. Good Tableau-job though, this is the best way to learn to Tableau-me.

Yeah, I have all of that data already in my data set. Figuring out how to make it do what I want it to do is a little challenging. But that is the point of doing it.
  • Options
    MrsPetersenMrsPetersen Member Posts: 724
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2018

We should recruit more in Montana.

Success in Montana would lead to putting a fence around North Dakota kids who the Bizzzzzzzon don’t want.
  • Options
    jhfstyle24jhfstyle24 Member Posts: 3,255
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I like how Florida is basically a map of itself. Covered in prospects all around then a big hole in the center where the Everglades are.
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,269
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Very nice. Looking forward to your color coded map of Slow vs Fast Strategy recruits
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    dannarc said:

Very nice. Looking forward to your color coded map of Slow vs Fast Strategy recruits

Happy to help.

The blue spots are fast strategy, the white areas are slow strategy.

• Options

I like how Florida is basically a map of itself. Covered in prospects all around then a big hole in the center where the Everglades are.

I am going to work on zoomed in maps of LA Basin, NorCal, etc.. Florida would be a good one to do as well.

The challenging part is that I referenced the longitude and latitude off of the City name and when there are multiple high schools in the same city the dots end up mapping right on top of each other. I haven't figured out an efficient way to pull more precise coordinate information for the high schools themselves.
  • Options
    jarlsbergraygunjarlsbergraygun Member Posts: 34
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    AIRWOLF said:

I am going to work on zoomed in maps of LA Basin, NorCal, etc.. Florida would be a good one to do as well.

The challenging part is that I referenced the longitude and latitude off of the City name and when there are multiple high schools in the same city the dots end up mapping right on top of each other. I haven't figured out an efficient way to pull more precise coordinate information for the high schools themselves.
    Start building your lookups:

https://opendata.stackexchange.com/questions/786/is-there-an-open-database-of-elementary-middle-and-high-schools-in-the-united
  • Options
    DarnoldPalmerDarnoldPalmer Member Posts: 59

We should recruit more in Montana.

Definitely a lot of BUCKs out there
  • Options
    pat_hmpat_hm Member Posts: 941
    The Dakota’s are ripe for the picking. Fits right in w/ DDY’s fast strategy strategy as well.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2018
    Imagine if the Great Migration of African Americans to the North (and a bit too to the West) for better paying factory jobs had never occurred.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,507
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Did we tell his hs coach to fuck off yet?