Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

TSiO Episode #47: The Barber >>>>

Comments

• Options
    DawgFaderDawgFader Member Posts: 1,414
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    I went out and bought some ankle weights.
  • Options
    doogvilledoogville Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,183
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Fucking finally why does it take you idiots so long to make these. Where is the Eason high school recruiting story? Anyway you guys are absolutely right about the key to the future. "Fast-strategy" little boys. I love this euphemism.

Urban Meyer has mastered this aspect of recruiting and Peterman needs to study what he does. He actually convinces fast-track kids that his program will set them up in something other than football if they don't make it (Crucial note, this is AFTER selling them on the idea that he has the best program for getting into the NFL).
    Look at his 4 minute sales pitch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRxWR-uvLXA
    This is absolutely targeted at fast-strategy kids that can't even imagine white collar world who will appreciate the idea of having their hands held in that sphere. A lot of these people have no chance in the corporate world and would hate it anyway, but this is an incredibly powerful pitch to a 16 year old and his grandma. Nothing sells better than hope.

Martyring yourself to hard work is only appealing to boring white faggots and overparented asians. The program itself doesn't need to change at all but the sales pitch to "fast-track" fellas certainly does. Luckily, Pete already has an incredible track record of developing NFL talent that he needs to start emphasizing much much more. Selling instant fame or instant money or instant national championships is not in the cards. Selling hope will have to do, and Peterman's NFL track record plus connections in Seattle is a very convincing pitch. Pete has already worked miracles by picking OKG's, but if he wants a national title he must figure out how to manufacture them.

What’s stupid is UW could make a better pitch than that right now, I’ve never come across the Ohio state network, Seattle has 10x the sexy industry in its backyard, and we probably could improve on that early 90s rock band sound track.

I think we just keep fucking winning, especially auburn since we are getting dangerously close to “never winning a big game”. Win big games, and win in a cool way (ie not your 13yo noodle arm sister outmotioning a defense) and the fast strategy kids start showing up, especially with the changes on the staff. Jonathan smith -> Bush, Coach K -> Lake, things can only speed up.
    This is exactly why I picked Urban. Make a lame 4 minute youtube video about a couple "fast-strategy" looking kids who got jobs at Microsoft or Amazon or any of those gay startup companies of faggot millenials burning through ponzi scheme venture capital money and you've got a sales pitch that demolishes the one that has given Ohio State top 5 classes every year since forever. Nearly all of the OSU kids are fast-strategy. Many from FL and TX. They tweet stuff like this:

And they are going to an ugly trashy boring freezing cold dying city in the middle of a dying midwest region full of almost nothing but fat ugly white people. Make it happen Pete.
    If Eason writes that tweet next year he’s off the team or upper campus comes crashing down, unfortunately UW plays by some self righteous rules that most blue bloods don’t. Petersen is perfect for UW to win within that framework, but the framework isn’t going to change.

The pod mentioned local fast strategy misses as the biggest risk to the program, and I still think it’s recruiting violations or “victory and ruins” type shit. Things are squeaky clean because they have to be to win at UW.
    Nothing serious would happen. Eason would delete the tweet and there would be some "internal team discipline."

I guarantee he wouldn't be suspended like Jones was.

Pete plays to win. And he has support from Cohen and (surprisingly) Cauce.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    love me some DDY sociology, but all this hype for fast strategy overlooks that you can credibly have a recruiting strategy that is focused on slow strategy kids (it literally gave us our? '18 class, which is one of the best in UW history).

while most PSAs are probably fast strategy, there's logic in pete deciding to focus on slow strategy and creating a program that is attractive to slow strategy kids. the other part is that it's probably easier to coach up kids who are all coming from the same place and come into the program already being try-hards.

that culture is clearly a huge value for pete. and if he knows you can recruit studs who are slow strategy (dudes like gaskin and rapp), why would he fuck with the formula to bring in a couple of dudes who (1) will be in a different mindspace than their teammates, (2) might not respond to UW coaching the same way as their teammates?

just seems like a poor ROI to retool recruiting for a couple of fast strategy kids, instead of just doubling down on getting all the slow strategy kids who are already inclined to like UW.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

Missing the point ...

It’s not that you are tweaking the strategy to go after fast strategy kids at the expense of slow strategy

It’s that you are tweaking the message for fast strategy to tailor a message that resonates

Slow strategy kids will always be the OKG foundation ... but putting fast kids with slow kids promotes growth and pull to the middle for both

Uh... Maybe? It could work, sure.

Or maybe if you put Marcus Peters in Pete's system a coach gets choked & kid gets kicked off the team.

Pete has plenty of experience with figuring out the types of players he wants. It's clear that this year he took steps to improve recruiting, but still focused on OKGs.

My guess is this is less about "we don't know how to recruit fast strategy" and more about Pete wanting to coach up a certain type of kid.

He knows the kids who thrive in his system, and he's going after those kids. Makes sense.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

doogville said:

Tequilla said:

Missing the point ...

It’s not that you are tweaking the strategy to go after fast strategy kids at the expense of slow strategy

It’s that you are tweaking the message for fast strategy to tailor a message that resonates

Slow strategy kids will always be the OKG foundation ... but putting fast kids with slow kids promotes growth and pull to the middle for both

Or maybe if you put Marcus Peters in Pete's system a coach gets choked & kid gets kicked off the team.

Pete has plenty of experience with figuring out the types of players he wants. It's clear that this year he took steps to improve recruiting, but still focused on OKGs.

My guess is this is less about "we don't know how to recruit fast strategy" and more about Pete wanting to coach up a certain type of kid.

He knows the kids who thrive in his system, and he's going after those kids. Makes sense.
    What the fuck is wrong with you you fucking dumb shit?

1) who the fuck has sociology? You think epigenetics and fucking sociology have anything to do with each other you stupid fuck? Get it fucking straight or shut the fuck up.

2) It’s not mutually exclusive you fucking moron. Fucking Marcus Peters? That’s your example you stupid fuck?

You think every fucking FS kid is Marcus Peters you stupid shit?

Literally go fuck yourself. When you know the difference between biology and sociology maybe then you should start talking. Until then shut the fuck up when grown folks are talking.
    Terminator Dennis is best Dennis.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    Winning will cure all of this and render this discussion moot.

In 2016, with a decent QB that doesn't brown-out under pressure, UW might not beat Bama, but it's close and competitive and UW does beat USC.

In 2017, with a decent QB, more than 1 reliable receiver, and even a mediocre OC, UW beats STD-U in the desert, and probably Stanford if two DBs aren't injured.

Point is that recruiting is on track and improving, year over year and the fast-strategy vs. slow-strategy only comes into play at the highest echelons, where we're talking about a 2% to 3% impact, at best, on the outcome of a game.

Recruiting is not in crisis when the argument is about which cherry goes on top of the sundae. Depth is always more important because losing a 1st string player to injuries is far more likely to hurt the team than missing out on 1 or 2 top prospects in any given year.

But, it's almost as if DDY is hyper-focused on the utmost of strapping young lads and losing sight of the program behind the broad, heaving chests and shoulders of his ideal recruiting "targets."

Are we really talking sociology? Or homoeroticism?
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,749
    And seriously TBS guys: You had "Barber" to work with, a proverbial blank slate for racial comedy, and you did nothing with it. So disappointing. Time to up your game, gents.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

doogville said:

Tequilla said:

Missing the point ...

1) who the fuck has sociology? You think epigenetics and fucking sociology have anything to do with each other you stupid fuck? Get it fucking straight or shut the fuck up.

2) It’s not mutually exclusive you fucking moron. Fucking Marcus Peters? That’s your example you stupid fuck?

Literally go fuck yourself. When you know the difference between biology and sociology maybe then you should start talking. Until then shut the fuck up when grown folks are talking.
    I know we cannot all be fast/slow strategy experts like you. But while biology is part of it, so is early childhood environment, you dumb fuck.

You learn resource scarcity/dangers of life when you are a child. Socioeconomics is not divorced from your fast/slow analysis.

And, again, my point is that this obsession with fast/slow strategy is meaningless if you ignore all the valid reasons a coach could have for targeting slow strategy kids. Pete literally recruited to his system this year & got a class that, if repeated, will be a championship roster.

So if he doesn't want a bunch of kids with shitty impulse control on his team, so be it. As long as we are getting talent, then recruiting kids who fit you system & who you know you can coach up is a good strategy.

Last year, this critique would have had more value, because Pete's strategy wasn't yielding kids with enough talent. That has, apparently, been fixed. Because, as you point out, there are supremely talented athletes in both camps.

Tl/Dr Pete knows that the fuck he is doing.

• Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited February 2018
    I have been drunk with both doogville and dennis and my brain cannot compute this argument right now.

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    Guess what bitches? This thread is infected with HIV
  • Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    edited February 2018
    doogville said:

doogville said:

Tequilla said:

Missing the point ...

I know we cannot all be fast/slow strategy experts like you. But while biology is part of it, so is early childhood environment, you dumb fuck.

You learn resource scarcity/dangers of life when you are a child. Socioeconomics is not divorced from your fast/slow analysis.

And, again, my point is that this obsession with fast/slow strategy is meaningless if you ignore all the valid reasons a coach could have for targeting slow strategy kids. Pete literally recruited to his system this year & got a class that, if repeated, will be a championship roster.

So if he doesn't want a bunch of kids with shitty impulse control on his team, so be it. As long as we are getting talent, then recruiting kids who fit you system & who you know you can coach up is a good strategy.

Last year, this critique would have had more value, because Pete's strategy wasn't yielding kids with enough talent. That has, apparently, been fixed. Because, as you point out, there are supremely talented athletes in both camps.

Tl/Dr Pete knows that the fuck he is doing.

Fuck you you stupid shit.

Yeah, Pete knows what he’s doing. Sure.

Except for the fact that LITERALLY EVERY FUCKING CRITICISM* I have had of him he has realized was a real issue about a year and a half too late.

Pete’s comfort zone is try hard whiteys. And he’s adjusting but it didn’t need a fucking adjustment.

It was obvious that a staff with 7 white try hard fag coaches (what we originally had: Smith, Pease, Straußer, Choate, Gregory, Kwiatkowski, Pete) was going to fucking suck at recruiting. And they did. Out of that group only one guy could recruit and he left to become a head coach at Montana State.

Bonerpop and Paopao are fucking JAGs.

But when he’s hired, he’s done well.

Also you dumb fuck, I said in the original fucking post that this was an EVOLUTIONARY BIOLOGY lecture you moron. Why would you have to be an expert on life history theory to have 10th grade level reading comprehension?

Fuck your low standards apologetics for Pete’s try hard bullshit.

I love Pete, but let’s call a fucking spade a spade.

Anyway, I love you but fuck off with this shit.

*except a couple.
  • Options
    Also - doogville you fucking dumbshit, what you think of as “learned” from socioeconomics is almost exclusively in-womb environment. The primary cause of differences is fucking cortisol and particular types of nutrients in the placenta so fuck you.

Also you dumb fuck - what do you think we are learning? You think learning isn’t fucking biology? Do you have a new theory of human learning and brain development where the direct cause of changes to the brain isn’t based in biological material, because if so - and you sound like an expert - you should immediately publish it and collect your Nobel Prize for showing non-material causation!!

Trust me, every fucking physicist in the world would be shocked and fascinated to learn that biological material is not what humans are made of and that you’ve fucking found the magic in the universe that does everything!!

TL/DR if you don’t understand integrative levels of knowledge and the reason for different levels of inquiry never fucking try to talk to someone who does.
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    DDY chill the fuck out. Peterman might not be moving as fast you want him, but he is making the right adjustments.
  • Options

DDY chill the fuck out. Peterman might not be moving as fast you want him, but he is making the right adjustments.

That’s not the point.

The point is I’ve been Doogfighting heroically for 15 years and I know the Doog narratives when I see them.

“Trust the coaches” is the oldest one.

What’s the fucking problem with non Doogs pointing out that things aren’t perfect? It only hurts you if you want to protect Pete’s feelings or you think it’s unreasonable to have high standards.

I fucking love Pete, but he’s not perfect and this is a message bored so I just say what I think.

This is literally the entire reason this bored exists. If you need it explained further you should fucking go to dawgman and talk about how great Straußer was.