Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Trouble in paradise? Dawg on Dwag Twitter crime threatens to tear apart what Peterman has built

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,424
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Mohamed Ali won over a generation of Americans giving thanks to Allah

Really, it was nothing special
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,343
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

When I was pulling my way to victory in front of a screaming crowd of dozens along the Montlake Cut, I used to think all glory to Thor for giving me super human Viking strength. On we sweep with threshing oar!

If it is Odin’s will that I die and spend eternity in Valhalla with Lagertha, I’m OK with that.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    TheHB said:

When I was pulling my way to victory in front of a screaming crowd of dozens along the Montlake Cut, I used to think all glory to Thor for giving me super human Viking strength. On we sweep with threshing oar!

If it is Odin’s will that I die and spend eternity in Valhalla with Lagertha, I’m OK with that.
    Sometimes I wonder why our Viking ancestors forsook their pagon gods. Now those were some TUFF deities.
  • Options
    AlexisAlexis Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,998
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

If God really does exist, He/She already knows what's in your heart; you don't need to proclaim it. Proclaiming it is a human thing, a testimonial to other humans, not to God. You're wearing your religion on your sleeve and showing your fellow humans how pious you are.

The fuck does God need humans to glorify him anyway? He/She's fucking God. Do we give a shit if the ants in the yard glorify us? Humans have given human characteristics to their Imaginary Friend, as if God needs a pat on the back like humans do from time to time. He/She sounds needy. Why create such a needy God? Weird.

Be interesting to have a Muslim give glory to Allah, a Jew to YHWH, or some South-Asian brownie to Vishnu in some postgame interview at some poont, and see the uproar. Most people give this Glory to God BS a pass because it's to their particular object of superstition. When it's somebody else's, we see how silly it sounds.

I heard from someone that God was nothing special.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Alexis said:

BearsWiin said:

If God really does exist, He/She already knows what's in your heart; you don't need to proclaim it. Proclaiming it is a human thing, a testimonial to other humans, not to God. You're wearing your religion on your sleeve and showing your fellow humans how pious you are.

The fuck does God need humans to glorify him anyway? He/She's fucking God. Do we give a shit if the ants in the yard glorify us? Humans have given human characteristics to their Imaginary Friend, as if God needs a pat on the back like humans do from time to time. He/She sounds needy. Why create such a needy God? Weird.

Be interesting to have a Muslim give glory to Allah, a Jew to YHWH, or some South-Asian brownie to Vishnu in some postgame interview at some poont, and see the uproar. Most people give this Glory to God BS a pass because it's to their particular object of superstition. When it's somebody else's, we see how silly it sounds.

According to Nietzsche, he ded.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Alexis said:

BearsWiin said:

Nietzsche ded.

God wins.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

dnc said:

Alexis said:

BearsWiin said:

Nietzsche ded.

God wins.
    Only took two pages for God wins law to be invoked

And Race, Honey, you were there, you know damn well that Ali never started off a post-fight interview by giving glory to Allah. He was too busy telling everybody that he was The Greatest.
    Disagree. He gave praise to the Honorable Elijah Mohammed and the Nation of Islam which was about the scariest thing going for white America in the 60's. Worse than sand Muslims by far.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Alexis said:

BearsWiin said:

The Lutheran Church we? attended when I was a kid actually had a sermon one week on the Time magazine article asking if God was dead. The Pastor didn't seem too sure himself. Lutherans don't exactly burn with passion about much of anything. God dead? Ok whatever.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    More story time

I had a weekly gym class at the YMCA in the early 60's. Just a kid. When Ali knocked out Liston and proclaimed himself the greatest, the ape like although white, gym teacher gave us all a lecture on sportsmanship and how you don't go around saying you are the greatest and shit.

I sat their in stunned disbelief at the young age of 7 that someone could be that fucking stupid. Everyone I knew was going around saying I am the greatest!

Welcome to the new era.
  • Options
    BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 4,947
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

More story time

I had a weekly gym class at the YMCA in the early 60's. Just a kid. When Ali knocked out Liston and proclaimed himself the greatest, the ape like although white, gym teacher gave us all a lecture on sportsmanship and how you don't go around saying you are the greatest and shit.

I sat their in stunned disbelief at the young age of 777 that someone could be that fucking stupid. Everyone I knew was going around saying I am the greatest!

Welcome to the new era.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Alexis said:

BearsWiin said:

The Lutheran Church we? attended when I was a kid actually had a sermon one week on the Time magazine article asking if God was dead. The Pastor didn't seem too sure himself. Lutherans don't exactly burn with passion about much of anything. God dead? Ok whatever.
    I didn't say it; Nietzsche made that claim. He (god) is very much alive I'd say.

But as the great Richard Dawkin's would say, we're all atheists about most of the gods humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Alexis said:

BearsWiin said:

The Lutheran Church we? attended when I was a kid actually had a sermon one week on the Time magazine article asking if God was dead. The Pastor didn't seem too sure himself. Lutherans don't exactly burn with @Passion about much of anything. God dead? Ok whatever.
  • Options
    edited February 2018

Alexis said:

BearsWiin said:

I didn't say it; Nietzsche made that claim. He (god) is very much alive I'd say.

But as the great Richard Dawkin's would say, we're all atheists about most of the gods humanity has ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.

I was at a Catholic wedding for my wife's cousin several years ago, sitting at the reception with my MIL, who as some born-again was bitching about having to sit through two hours of Latin chanting. We got to talking about religion, obviously, and at some poont she told me that I was being entirely closed-minded because I refused to open my heart to Christ. So I asked her why, if I decided to take leave of my intellectual integrity and cast my lot with some non-evidentiary system of belief covering celestial creation and social order, I should pick her particular non-evidentiary system and not some other one, like Jews, Catholics, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Shintos, Bactrian fire-worshippers of Ahura Mahzda, Zeus and Hera, Amon-Ra and Isis, Thor and Odin, etc.? She laughed, leaned in as if to tell me something in confidence, and replied. "Because they're crazy."
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,752

Mohamed Ali won over a generation of Americans giving thanks to Allah

Really, it was nothing special

Grandpa is Romanticizing again!

Ali won people over by staying true to constitutional principles of Free Exercise and Freedom of Religion, both of which were very white of him.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,752

More story time

I sat their in stunned disbelief at the young age of 7 that someone could be that fucking stupid. Everyone I knew was going around saying I am the greatest!

Welcome to the new era.

Your gym teacher was probably a WW2 vet, or maybe a Mexican Expedition vet, but either way, he'd fought against a strong man in Villa or Hitler, each who thought himself was the greatest. Humility lessons weren't their thing.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BearsWiin said:

Alexis said:

BearsWiin said:

I was at a Catholic wedding for my wife's cousin several years ago, sitting at the reception with my MIL, who as some born-again was bitching about having to sit through two hours of Latin chanting. We got to talking about religion, obviously, and at some poont she told me that I was being entirely closed-minded because I refused to open my heart to Christ. So I asked her why, if I decided to take leave of my intellectual integrity and cast my lot with some non-evidentiary system of belief covering celestial creation and social order, I should pick her particular non-evidentiary system and not some other one, like Jews, Catholics, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Shintos, Bactrian fire-worshippers of Ahura Mahzda, Zeus and Hera, Amon-Ra and Isis, Thor and Odin, etc.? She laughed, leaned in as if to tell me something in confidence, and replied. "Because they're crazy."
    Sounds like a strong argument.
  • Options

TheHB said:

Sometimes I wonder why our Viking ancestors forsook their pagon gods. Now those were some TUFF deities.
    Not to mention the Fenris Wolf. Another example of how humans make their gods in their own images, and not the other way around. The Norse had a big killer wolf god, the Egyptians had a killer crocodile god, the Hindus have a cobra god and an elephant god, the Aztecs had Quetzalcoatl, their feathered serpent god. They made (many of) their gods in the images of powerful creatures in their environments, ones that had power over other animals (hell, even the fish-killing ibis god in ancient Egypt) and many of which were dangerous to humans. I'd be more impressed with the "God reveals Himself to us in many different ways" argument if the Norse had a crocodile god and the Egyptians had a snow wolf god, awesome creatures not from their local experience.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,343
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam