Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

djia off 2000

124»

Comments

• RedRocketRedRocket Member Posts: 1,527
    edited February 2018

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

PM to Jeff Bezos: volatility traders caused you to lose 5 billion dollars. Fuck you.

He has like a hundred other billion dollars. It sounds like you care more then he does.
    Not really, just happy I was directly involved in helping to cause it in some small measure
    Do you even have a basic understanding of how stocks work?
    the XIV implosion was nearly solely responsible for this correction, and entirely to blame for the massive Vix spike, setting off a chain reaction which resulted in Amazon and the entire market selling off. Hth.
    And then you turned around the next day and bought the S&P on the dip helping your boy Bezos offset yesterday's loses. Volatility trading had something to do with it but I'm not sure that you've been riding this in the right direction.
  • AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840

AIRWOLF said:

People under the age of 30 likely have no experience with a situation where immediate dip-buying isn't profitable over both the long- and short-term. It has become a reflexive response. That's behavioral psychology 101.

Perhaps it will work out well again. Perhaps not.

longer term dip buying will always be profitable as long as your positions are sized correctly and you have dry powder to add when/if price goes lower than expected.
    It depends on your holding period, of course. The market valuation is at the kind of level where, in the past at least, 10 year forward equity returns aren't particularly appealing.

Perhaps, it's different this time.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    edited February 2018
    RedRocket said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

PM to Jeff Bezos: volatility traders caused you to lose 5 billion dollars. Fuck you.

He has like a hundred other billion dollars. It sounds like you care more then he does.
    Not really, just happy I was directly involved in helping to cause it in some small measure
    Do you even have a basic understanding of how stocks work?
    the XIV implosion was nearly solely responsible for this correction, and entirely to blame for the massive Vix spike, setting off a chain reaction which resulted in Amazon and the entire market selling off. Hth.
    And then you turned around the next day and bought the S&P on the dip helping your boy Bezos offset yesterday's loses. Volatility trading had something to do with it but I'm not sure that you've been riding this in the right direction.
    Short volalitity was the trade of 2017. It had a shelf life and its over for now, at least in its current form. BTFD always works long term.
  • pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,075 Founders Club

Swaye said:

I keep all my money in my sock drawer. 81 bucks.

The sock market can be a sticky investment.
    Hondo always has a sock stuck to his nose.
    AIRWOLF said:

AIRWOLF said:

People under the age of 30 likely have no experience with a situation where immediate dip-buying isn't profitable over both the long- and short-term. It has become a reflexive response. That's behavioral psychology 101.

Perhaps it will work out well again. Perhaps not.

longer term dip buying will always be profitable as long as your positions are sized correctly and you have dry powder to add when/if price goes lower than expected.
    It depends on your holding period, of course. The market valuation is at the kind of level where, in the past at least, 10 year forward equity returns aren't particularly appealing.

Perhaps, it's different this time.
    Not appealing at these levels, agree, I'm only 10% invested in the equity market here and not worried if it drops more. If it does all the better, just means more positions at lower prices, some pain for a while, then profit after recovery.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Swaye said:

I keep all my money in my sock drawer. 81 bucks.

2nd drawer from the top? Left or right side?

Buying the dip tomorrow morning girls $UPRO

Closed $UPRO position for a 15% gain