Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Cupcakes, hunters, and air.

I wouldn't normally give a rip, but curiosity led me to look at Oregon's 2013 schedule and how the ducks had performed up until the speckeled egg they laid in Palo Alto on Thursday evening. I'm sure none of this is news to you doogs who are duck obsessed believing the foul birds walk upside-down underwater as well as float along on top of it, but what tough competitive opposition tested Oregon before they ran up against an average Stanford team? The duck's schedule before running into their annual tree or pothole was mostly cupcakes and air:

Cupcakes: OOC's Nicholls State and Virginia; and Pac-12's CAL, Colorado, and WSU..... all gave up 55 or more points to UO while scoring 16 or less with the exception of the sodbusters who lost to the ducks in Pullman 38-62.

Hunters:: OOC Tennessee and Pac-12's UW and UCLA - it can possibly be said that these three teams were in the hunt to bag some ducks, but showed up at the blind with not enough deeks and shells poorly loaded and bought cheap. The Vols (4-6) were blown-off the scoreboard 14-59 by the ducks in Autsen, but can still get bowl eligible by beating Vandy and Kentuk. UCLA also lost at Autsen and were competitive for a half before smothering in feathers by four TD's 14-42. Amazingly, it was the SarkDawgs in Husky Stadium that gave Oregon it's stiffest test prior to Palo Alto (quack like The Alamo) before losing by three TD's 24-45. I watched that game on TV and it didn't seem that close, but those of you who saw it live can testify better than the mini-view I was allowed by TV moguls.

Air: Oregon had two Byes (same as UW) on their 2013 schedule with the second coming just before their loss to Stanford. Obviously, the Bye before Palo Alto didn't seem to help, but would the ducks of had their Heisman candidate QB on that trip without it ? More important I think than Byes are the absence of South Division powers USC and ASU from the duck's schedule, especially given the way both teams are performing late in the season.

Oregon has three games remaining with Utah and OSU at home in Autsen sandwiched around a road trip south to play Arizona. It doesn't seem possible, but the ducks could drown in the desert. As we know all too well, the Wildcats at home can be difficult and even though we still have two conference brethren in the BCS top-10, the Pac-12 is again shaping up to be a weak West Coast sister and the kind of football conference where the second year guy at ASU and/or whomever the new guy hired at USC might be...... could dominate in the near future.

So what makes Oregon duck football,..... or for that matter Stanford Tree football so special? I know that this may be my opinion alone, but the football programs of both schools are overrated by the so-called national experts and the reason for that is clear. Compared to the past, even just ten years ago, the Pac-10 (turned -12) is weak..... weak..... WEAK! This is the only explanation for how collegiate football programs such as those at Oregon and Stanford can somehow rise to the top. I've said it before and I can't say it enough...... the Pac-12 can only return to it's former prominent standing in major college football to challenge the SEC, ACC, and Big-12 when the traditional football schools USC, UCLA, UW, ASU, and now CU rise and take back control of our gridiron domain from the flighty and gimmicky. The time to rise again is now,...... but it's been NOW for at least a decade.

Comments

• When you are really good like Oregon is you typically have 9-10 gimme wins.

Going into 1991 James said he knew worst case scenario that team was going 10-1.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,048 Standard Supporter
    Oregon and Stanford are legit. Sounds like a lot of emotion went into that post.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Lather, rinse, repeat.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    Oregon and Stanford are not cupcakes, I'll admit, but they couldn't stay on the field with the 1991 Huskies........ nor in 2013 with Alabama, Florida State, Auburn, Ohio State, and the other top-10 BCS teams east of the Missouri/ Rio Grande rivers.

Ten gimme cupcakes on the 1991Huskies' schedule would of had to include one of either Nebraska in Lincoln or USC in the Coliseum. There are a number of reasons why the quality of Pac-10(or-12) football has changed including the perspective of the vanquished. Perhaps it's not fashionable here to see that Husky Football now resides deep in the land of the vanquished,..... even as viewed from the comfort of luxury suites.
  • Tailgater said:

Oregon and Stanford are not cupcakes, I'll admit, but they couldn't stay on the field with the 1991 Huskies........ nor in 2013 with Alabama, Florida State, Auburn, Ohio State, and the other top-10 BCS teams east of the Missouri/ Rio Grande rivers.

Ten gimme cupcakes on the 1991Huskies' schedule would of had to include one of either Nebraska in Lincoln or USC in the Coliseum. There are a number of reasons why the quality of Pac-10(or-12) football has changed including the perspective of the vanquished. Perhaps it's not fashionable here to see that Husky Football now resides deep in the land of the vanquished,..... even as viewed from the comfort of luxury suites.

USC was terrible that year going 3-8. The only tough game heading into the year was Nebraska. Then Cal became a good team which nobody really saw coming.
    Stanford doesn't really blow anyone out. But they hang with anyone also and don't beat themselves. The 91 huskies were considered one best PAC 10 teams since mckays use teams in the 70's so I am not sure of your point. Sure oregon and Stanford are not the best teams of an era.

The acc hasn't done shit since 2001 with the good Miami teams. I'm not sold on any team from that conference til I see it but fsu looks legit.

This whole logic sounds doogish to make us feel like oregon and Stanford will fail because when uw is good it is better than oregon and Stanford's good.

Oregon lost and it brought out a lot of the doogish ness on the board.
    A lack of respect for Oregon is doogish? My my, I can't imagine how doogish it must be to ignore Oregon completely as I for one find it so very easy to do. Being doogish must be a convoluted art if it takes putting the likes of Oregon and Stanford high enough on a pedestal to lose perspective of just how far Husky Football has fallen below 1991 or what it should be still.
    Relive the glory days all you want. Oregon is a great program for right now at least. See how the new coach does moving forward. The pac 10 sucked in 91 outside of two teams.

Doogish comes from overblowing the faults of other programs. Stanford and oregon will eventually come back to the pack. It's cyclical. But they are both good nationally respected programs that seem to finish in the top 10 every year and likely are representing the PAC 12 in the playoffs moving forward depending on who USC hires or if ucla turns out to be a legit threat. I don't understand why this is hard to understand. Their runs at the top are not much different than any success uw had under James.
  • death2ducksdeath2ducks Member Posts: 991

When you are really good like Oregon is you typically have 9-10 gimme wins.

Going into 1991 James said he knew worst case scenario that team was going 10-1.

We had two tough games in 1991, @ Cal and @ USC. The defense won both games. We stopped Cal from scoring on their last drive, and the D held USC's offense in check all day, while Beno pounded the ball. BJ had an off day at USC, plus the USC secondary played great. UNLIKE SARK, DJ went to 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense to win the game at USC.

Sark never thought to try that at ASU.

• When you are really good like Oregon is you typically have 9-10 gimme wins.

We had two tough games in 1991, @ Cal and @ USC. The defense won both games. We stopped Cal from scoring on their last drive, and the D held USC's offense in check all day, while Beno pounded the ball. BJ had an off day at USC, plus the USC secondary played great. UNLIKE SARK, DJ went to 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense to win the game at USC.

Sark never thought to try that at ASU.

You must have missed this post later on in the thread

USC was terrible that year going 3-8. The only tough game heading into the year was Nebraska. Then Cal became a good team which nobody really saw coming.

As for USC the Huskies led by two scores so the game although close was never in doubt.
    Of the 3 games won by the terrible Trojans of 1991, one was a huge 21-10 upset of then #5 ranked Penn State at the Coliseum while the other two wins were on the road over cupcakes Oregon at Autsen and WSU in Pullman.

In addition to the 3-14 blowout loss to #2 ranked UW (itself bordering on football pastry by today's standards), the homeless and worthless 1991 Trojans fell hard in the Coliseum 25-32 to ASU, 21-24 to Stanford, and 21-24 to #25 UCLA. USC took an even bigger 20-24 drubbing that season on the road from the then #5 ranked Irish in South Bend. Of course, not one of those five games lost by a combined scoreboard margin of 28 points could ever have been claimed as a moral victory by the 1991 Trojans. USC it would seem was always too proud even back then to look at scoreboard like a duck.

By doog logic expressed clearly here in this thread, the 1991 Trojans lost to four(4) while beating only two(2) of the same Pac-10 cupcakes that the Huskies ran the table-on undefeated that same season. We did not play Memphis State which trounced USC 24-10 to kickoff the Trojan's pathetic year, but it can probably be assumed that the Kansas State and Toledo cupcakes the 1991 Huskies feasted on in Husky Stadium were combined at least as much pastry as Memphis State.

This has been an exercise in Husky Pride lost with some enlightenment on how, as past UW football glory slips into the mists of history rewritten to make the present look better than it deserves, the art of dooginit continues to evolve so that lesser species of fanaticism among us can stretch high enough to kiss Oregon and Stanford ass. Times have changed and it's so much less of a big deal to go undefeated these days, even though once again this season no Pac-12 program can accomplish it. I stopped thinking I'd never see the day a long time ago.
  • Tailgater said:

Of the 3 games won by the terrible Trojans of 1991, one was a huge 21-10 upset of then #5 ranked Penn State at the Coliseum while the other two wins were on the road over cupcakes Oregon at Autsen and WSU in Pullman.

In addition to the 3-14 blowout loss to #2 ranked UW (itself bordering on football pastry by today's standards), the homeless and worthless 1991 Trojans fell hard in the Coliseum 25-32 to ASU, 21-24 to Stanford, and 21-24 to #25 UCLA. USC took an even bigger 20-24 drubbing that season on the road from the then #5 ranked Irish in South Bend. Of course, not one of those five games lost by a combined scoreboard margin of 28 points could ever have been claimed as a moral victory by the 1991 Trojans. USC it would seem was always too proud even back then to look at scoreboard like a duck.

By doog logic expressed clearly here in this thread, the 1991 Trojans lost to four(4) while beating only two(2) of the same Pac-10 cupcakes that the Huskies ran the table-on undefeated that same season. We did not play Memphis State which trounced USC 24-10 to kickoff the Trojan's pathetic year, but it can probably be assumed that the Kansas State and Toledo cupcakes the 1991 Huskies feasted on in Husky Stadium were combined at least as much pastry as Memphis State.

This has been an exercise in Husky Pride lost with some enlightenment on how, as past UW football glory slips into the mists of history rewritten to make the present look better than it deserves, the art of dooginit continues to evolve so that lesser species of fanaticism among us can stretch high enough to kiss Oregon and Stanford ass. Times have changed and it's so much less of a big deal to go undefeated these days, even though once again this season no Pac-12 program can accomplish it. I stopped thinking I'd never see the day a long time ago.

The bolded part reminded me of the Ty defense in 2006 and 2007.

You are what your record says you are. They went 3-8. Nuff said.
    why do you hate facts? USC sucked that year. The 91 team was great. Right now oregon and stanford are dominating the conference and are experiencing a run similar to anything that james ever produced at uw minus the 1/2 national championship.

I wish we were that good again. But we are not. Right now oregon and stanford are. No matter how great the glory days seem the best run the school saw was 3 straight conference titles going 2-1 in the Rose Bowl.
  • unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    OT, but this is why I have never hated USC. All depends when you went to school - they sucked during that timespan. Well, maybe they got us in 93 or 94 when Robinson came back. 95 was a tie as I recall, and 96-97 we beat them rather easily

Compare that to my uncle, 15-20 years earlier who STILL hates USC with a PASSION. Similar to Doogs perspective on the Quooks over the last 10

Tailgater said:

Typology made reminiscent by a post about the fall of Troy in 1991? Doogishness taken to an esoteric place.

• Tailgater said:

Tailgater said:

Typology made reminiscent by a post about the fall of Troy in 1991? Doogishness taken to an esoteric place.

You are defending their 3-8 record by posting all their close losses. That's exactly what Tybots did in 2006 and 2007 to defend Ty.

"Well you see he played Carroll tough last two years, went 1-1 vs Tedford with the loss being toe to toe with him, was tied going into the 4th vs Oregon, led Ohio State at halftime, was competitive with Oklahoma in Norman, etc".
    I was defending USC's 3-8 record with Typology where? If fact, I wasn't defending anything unless you believe moral victories and duck logic are defensible which it appears you do. You see for the sake of lame argument, I can misread another's post as well as anybody.
  • Tailgater said:

I was defending USC's 3-8 record with Typology where? If fact, I wasn't defending anything unless you believe moral victories and duck logic are defensible which it appears you do. You see for the sake of lame argument, I can misread another's post as well as anybody.

You spent an entire paragraph trying to paint USC as a good win back in 1991 when I stated it wasn't.

You brought up all their close losses something a Tybot used to do back in 2006 and 2007.
    it does no good to use logic with the old-timer

Tailgater said:

You spent an entire paragraph trying to paint USC as a good win back in 1991 when I stated it wasn't.

You brought up all their close losses something a Tybot used to do back in 2006 and 2007.
    I wasn't aware that Tyrone coached USC football in 1991..... I thought it was Larry Smith, but what do I know. If true which I doubt that Ty was on the SC sideline in the Coliseum in '91, it might help account for 0-12.