Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Rainier Beach / Garfield fallout poses threat to UW future

Hardcore_HuskyHardcore_Husky Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 302
Name Dropper 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
edited January 2018 in Hardcore Husky Board

imageRainier Beach / Garfield fallout poses threat to UW future

Like it or not, Coach Pete needs to contain this brush fire, writes Dennis DeYoung 

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AEBAEB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,959
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I gotta fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,494
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I trust the coaches.
  • Options
    minion_doogminion_doog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,946
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    2nd thread, several comments. What fucking tweet
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,859

RB and Garfield? In football? Damn I’ve been away from Seattle for a long time. How about ingraham?

People forget that Jawann Oldhamm, carl Ervin and Eli carter committed to Seattle U from Cleveland HS. People forget that.

@JamesCliffordDawg, true?

is Ingraham still open?

• Options
    2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    I feel like Pete has done a great job recruiting the top 10 players in state. Anyone want to post up the last few years, number of top players who came to UW.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,053
    Founders Club

RB and Garfield? In football? Damn I’ve been away from Seattle for a long time. How about ingraham?

People forget that Jawann Oldhamm, carl Ervin and Eli carter committed to Seattle U from Cleveland HS. People forget that.

Wasn't Anthony Allen from Garfield?
  • Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    If these high school coaches don’t start producing Scholarship offers to the schools the Kids want, the Good talent will start listening to other offers and their One-Year renewable coach contracts paying under 10k, might be in jeopardy.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    someone posted the stats that Pete offers about 70-75 guys per year so an offer actually means something. Bama offers about 275 kids per year so those ceremonial non-committable offers really make bitchy little high school coaches happy?
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Houhusky said:

Meek said:

so those ceremonial non-committable offers really make bitchy little high school coaches happy?

Unfortunately they do, those offers are 100% grade A bullshit and the coaches know it, the ADs at the high school know it but the idiot parents, admin, and younger players don’t know it.

At the end of the year the coach gets to put how many different total scholarship offers his team had, total dollar worth of the scholarships and if he loses some games can still point to how many players are playing in college or received div 1 offers.

It’s fucked and meaningless and stupid but coaches and athletic directors use “I had 5 players with SEC offers” to protect themselves from parents and school admin that don’t understand what is actually going on.

Those positions are just as much political as they are competency driven, and a local school offering “your” players scholarships is just another round coaches use to promote and protect themselves.

Example; Under Sark or Ty they could say “I have 7-10 players with offers to UW” now they say they have 2-3... idiot parents and admin see the decrease and assume the coach must be doing something wrong.
    YVBFE
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

Yes, he was. His brother Patrick was also out of Garfield and was pretty good at UW.

Not a lot of Seattle public school talent (excluding O’dea, Blanchet and Seattle Prep) that I’m aware of has made its way to UW football, although there were some really good players in the group. In addition to the Allen brothers from Garfield:

Roosevelt — mark Pattison, tom turnure and Hugh Millen (transfer after Lincoln HS closed)
    Ingraham— James Clifford and Greg Lewis.
    Franklin— Corey Dillon (I’m sure there are others I’m forgetting)
    RB — Nate Robinson
    Ballard — a TE in the 1990s whose name I forget.
    Probably more but hardly a hotbed of talent historically but maybe that’s changed.
  • Options
    DawgWagonDanDawgWagonDan Member Posts: 789
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Ta'amu, RB; Stanback, Garfield; Mario Bailey, Franklin...just a few more off the top off my head.
  • Options
    CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary

Ta'amu, RB; Stanback, Garfield; Mario Bailey, Franklin...just a few more off the top off my head.

And Patrick Allen on my Garfield list went to Utah State, not UW. I don’t remember shit anymore.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,859

Anthony Allen was old-time Garfield tuff ( >T-town tuff). The new era is 206 Hoops soft. Cowtowing to GHS and RB coaches is RomarFS.

Just win. That overrides every perceived slight.