Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

IMO, last night's game was a black eye for Justin Wilcox

Oregon's offense can be handled after all.

Comments

• MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    we should wait til Wilcox gets his guys in before we start assessing his D
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited November 2013
    It was a bad performance by Wilcox, but Tailgater has a point. Every team that has stopped Oregon has a great DL. We have two above average guys in Shelton and Kikaha and a bunch of guys who wouldn't sniff the field at Stanford. Our LB's aren't as good as Stanford's either. If we are still getting gashed on defense in a year or two, the answer will be evident, but Sark fucked up the team by failing to get good OL and DL recruits.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

It was a bad performance by Wilcox, but Tailgater has a point. Every team that has stopped Oregon has a great DL. We have two above average guys in Shelton and Kikaha and a bunch of guys who wouldn't sniff the field at Stanford. Our LB's aren't as good as there's either. If we are still getting gashed on defense in a year or two, the answer will be evident, but Sark fucked up the team by failing to get good OL and DL recruits.

Miles Jack wouldn't start here until his 5th year, so I guess he'd never start at Stanford.

Doog snark aside, yryk

• Speaking of LB's is it me or does it seem like Shaq Thompson has regressed since last year?

I mean he's still good but I think he looked better last year.

Feeney has regressed for sure and Timu is still missing tackles like he always has.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    1) The blueprint for beating Oregon has been known for a while - problem is that not many have the Jimmy's and Joe's to do it.

2) Wilcox has shown that he's a good, but not great, DC with lots of room for growth still

3) Why more teams/LBs don't do what Skov was doing all night last night by blowing up the middle of the line by timing the snap count (since it's painfully obvious when each team in the shotgun is going to snap the ball) is beyond me ... it's Section14aFS that more don't do it

4) Stanford once again showed that the game is won in the trenches and not with track athletes running all over the place

5) Why was I not surprised to hear during the game that Mariota had a MCL sprain as an "excuse" for his struggles?
    edited November 2013

Speaking of LB's is it me or does it seem like Shaq Thompson has regressed since last year?

I mean he's still good but I think he looked better last year.

Feeney has regressed for sure and Timu is still missing tackles like he always has.

I was thinking similarly. I don't think Shaq has regressed, but he didn't make a huge leap. He isn't getting better as the season goes along either. Feeney has regressed. Fuimaono does his best, but he is undersized and slow. Timu is a doog legend, but he's pretty average. Compare Timu to Skov or Zumwalt on UCLA. It was a very overrated unit going into the season. I don't think they are bad, but they aren't even close to as good as the doog pre season hype.

• HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    We need some shitty defensive performances to get Sark's seat hot.

As pathetic as it is, Sark may keep his job because Woodtard & others are afraid to let go of their big investment in Wilcox & others.
  • Look at the three five stars that Sark has brought in with Kasen, ASJ and Shaq.

Have any of those blue chippers gotten better since their freshman year? I don't think so. Kasen's stats were better but that doesn't necessarily mean he improved.

ASJ has regressed this year and is no longer the weapon that he was.

Shaq I'd say has a slight regression because he hasn't improved. If you stay the same you are getting worse IMO.

The lack of player development which has plagued this program more than recruiting has the past decade is still rather obvious here. Sure you have guys making great leaps like Sankey but as a whole the lack of player development pisses me off.

Why can't anyone else see that? I mean the recruiting rankings/talent on this team has improved every year yet we are still the same 7-6 team. Connect the dots already Doogs.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

Look at the three five stars that Sark has brought in with Kasen, ASJ and Shaq.

Have any of those blue chippers gotten better since their freshman year? I don't think so. Kasen's stats were better but that doesn't necessarily mean he improved.

Shaq I'd say has a slight regression because he hasn't improved. If you stay the same you are getting worse IMO.

The lack of player development which has plagued this program more than recruiting has the past decade is still rather obvious here. Sure you have guys making great leaps like Sankey but as a whole the lack of player development pisses me off.

Why can't anyone else see that? I mean the recruiting rankings/talent on this team has improved every year yet we are still the same 7-6 team. Connect the dots already Doogs.

IrishDawg22 told me that lack of player development under Sark was a myth. And he has this place dialed in.

• dnc said:

Look at the three five stars that Sark has brought in with Kasen, ASJ and Shaq.

IrishDawg22 told me that lack of player development under Sark was a myth. And he has this place dialed in.

It's not a coincidence he went away when UW lost three in a row and we were all proven right.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,169
    The thing I don't get about Wilcox is that he hasn't been calling many blitzes. Like... pressure up the middle from anywhere and heat from the edge if possible man...
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    Tailgater said:

And Wilcox came up with a Stanfordish defensive front seven(DLs+LBs) when? Certainly didn't have it four weeks ago at least that I could notice, so will it show-up against Colorado this evening?
    Stanford's defensive front did show the world of college football that Oregon's QB is perhaps human when pressured, but there was more to Oregon's demise than that.

Far more than just defense, Stanford's offense showed me (again) that Oregon can be beat with a ball control ground grinding offense that with almost every snap sends a message to the guys across the line of scrimmage that here "we come to pound you into the turf again.... and again.... and again". It's so much less difficult for any DC, even less capable than Wilcox, to stop the no-huddle hurry-up 80-play Oregon attack when the duck offense is on the sideline for 40 of those plays watching the other guy's offense poind the shit out of the clock.

Rather than wonder why Wilcox's defense couldn't stop Oregon while watching last night's game, I was (again) wondering why Sark didn't run the ball more against the ducks, but then all he has is an excellent RB and one can only wonder how much more excellent Bishop Sankey would be operating behind a Stanfordish OL. Obviously, we're reminded again that Oregon is beatable, but not by SarkBall....... not even close.

So reason #5, winning the time of possession is true? Staff? Mods?
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    Wilcox knew that for the doogs to continue licking his butthole all he had to do was stop them on the 1st drive. Smart move, no need to actually work and figure out how to stop that offense with the retards as clientele.
  • Your_MomYour_Mom Member Posts: 393

It's only Wilcox's 2nd year. What was the excuse you Mora leg humpers were using again?
  • Wilcox knew that for the doogs to continue licking his butthole all he had to do was stop them on the 1st drive. Smart move, no need to actually work and figure out how to stop that offense with the retards as clientele.

"I've never been complimented more in my life when I lost by 21 points"- Wilcox after the Oregon game.

I hate our fans.

Wilcox knew that for the doogs to continue licking his butthole all he had to do was stop them on the 1st drive. Smart move, no need to actually work and figure out how to stop that offense with the retards as clientele.

"I've never been complimented more in my life when I lost by 21 points"- Wilcox after the Oregon game.

I hate our fans.
    Fuck. Even Wilcox is learning how the fan base operates.

• Wilcox knew that for the doogs to continue licking his butthole all he had to do was stop them on the 1st drive. Smart move, no need to actually work and figure out how to stop that offense with the retards as clientele.

I hate our fans.

It must be hard for him to bust his ass watching his "boss" run around town getting drunk and fucking every skank that walks.

I hate our fans.

It must be hard for him to bust his ass watching his "boss" run around town getting drunk and fucking every skank that walks.
    I'm sure it is, but having a high salary and great job security for being mediocre in a tough business probably outweighs the negative.