Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

PM to the husband of the little old lady from Altadena

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,029 Founders Club
edited January 2018 in Tug Tavern

Comments

• CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    Altadenans are strong-willed, independent, mountain people — rugged and self reliant.

I am on board with US essential services: mutual defense, common currency and the free movement of money, goods and labor. Nothing else. Shut it down!

Plus, the Huskies play at the Rose Bowl down the street October 6 and very likely again January 1. Good shit.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,029 Founders Club
    edited January 2018

Altadenans are strong-willed, independent, mountain people — rugged and self reliant.

I am on board with US essential services: mutual defense, common currency and the free movement of money, goods and labor. Nothing else. Shut it down!

Plus, the Huskies play at the Rose Bowl down the street October 6 and very likely again January 1. Good shit.

There's no half measures with succession @CirrhosisDawg . You're either in or you're out.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,029 Founders Club

There's no half measures with succession @CirrhosisDawg . You're either in or you're out.
    If so, then I’m out.

The US federal government is useless; its futility is inescapable an irreparable. I pay in more than I receive. That would be ok but liberal do-gooders insist on funding programs many states don’t want. Conservatives insist on imposing mindless and hypocritical religious values. And when you give Cons the chance to institute federalism, letting the states govern themselves, their power mongering gets in the way and they pass.

Both sides insist on pushing disastrous foreign power plays with tremendous costs in lives and treasure. Washington DC is the leviathan. I am a Californian.

Yes, but that's true on a state level too. You transfer your wealth via your state income tax to 'po people in California just as much as you do through federal income tax.
  • CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390

If so, then I’m out.

The US federal government is useless; its futility is inescapable an irreparable. I pay in more than I receive. That would be ok but liberal do-gooders insist on funding programs many states don’t want. Conservatives insist on imposing mindless and hypocritical religious values. And when you give Cons the chance to institute federalism, letting the states govern themselves, their power mongering gets in the way and they pass.

Both sides insist on pushing disastrous foreign power plays with tremendous costs in lives and treasure. Washington DC is the leviathan. I am a Californian.

Yes, but that's true on a state level too. You transfer your wealth via your state income tax to 'po people in California just as much as you do through federal income tax.
    True. My point is that there is far more consensus in the state for funded social programs. In other words, the social contract is much stronger and meaningful. It’s not paying that’s the issue so much (although we should demand efficiency and accountability), it’s that there is agreement about what we are supposed to be funding. I assume the same is true in most if not all states.

The federal social contract is broken.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,586 Swaye's Wigwam

If so, then I’m out.

YBE
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

If so, then I’m out.

While that is probably true. It's hard to put a value on police, fire, public schools, military, etc. where we don't receive direct benefit.

Rest of the post is mostly spot on.