Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

This guy gets it

Dan Wolken | USA Today: Once again, Nerd Nation has beaten Team Nike, left it wondering how many more monuments to excess it needs to build, how many more uniform combinations or millions in facilities it will need to finally get the ultimate prize. Because after No. 6 Stanford's 26-20 victory against No. 2 Oregon on Thursday, a game not nearly as close as the score indicated, the question is now more obvious than ever.

Comments

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    edited November 2013
    Stanford's run is about to end. They are loaded with seniors and the numbers don't add up for Oregon or USC type success. Oregon will probably win out, including a bowl win for their 4th straigh 12 win season. Oregon may drop slightly next year if Mariota leaves, but by that a mean to a 10 win season with no end in sight of success. UW fans would kill for a 10 win season and act like they're national champs. Oregon will be pissed and their bandwagon will get a flat.
  • Mooser42Mooser42 Member Posts: 763
    Wolken is a hack
  • Stanford's run is about to end. They are loaded with seniors and the numbers don't add up for Oregon or USC type success. Oregon will probably win out, including a bowl win for their 4th straigh 12 win season. Oregon may drop slightly next year if Mariota leaves, but by that a mean to a 10 win season with no end in sight of success. UW fans would kill for a 10 win season and act like they're national champs. Oregon will be pissed and their bandwagon will get a flat.

With next year's bullshit schedule go 4-0 OOC, go 5-4 in conference then win terrible bowl game and UW will have a 10-4 season. Doogs will celebrate while those with standards will realize it's still just a 5-4 season.

I wouldn't be surprised if David Shaw is snatched up after this year either by USC or the NFL.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,842 Founders Club

Stanford's run is about to end. They are loaded with seniors and the numbers don't add up for Oregon or USC type success. Oregon will probably win out, including a bowl win for their 4th straigh 12 win season. Oregon may drop slightly next year if Mariota leaves, but by that a mean to a 10 win season with no end in sight of success. UW fans would kill for a 10 win season and act like they're national champs. Oregon will be pissed and their bandwagon will get a flat.

With next year's bullshit schedule go 4-0 OOC, go 5-4 in conference then win terrible bowl game and UW will have a 10-4 season. Doogs will celebrate while those with standards will realize it's still just a 5-4 season.

I wouldn't be surprised if David Shaw is snatched up after this year either by USC or the NFL.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you calling Shaw an overrated bum 3 weeks ago?
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,159

Not saying you're wrong but A few things for thought.
    1) Stanford has a ridiculous class of underclassmen on the OLine. Two years ago they had like six 4 and 5 star linemen commit. They also have nationally recruited 4-star Barry Sanders Jr. waiting in the wings at RB and the #2 QB in the nation currently committed to follow up Hogan when he leaves. That idiot Rector looks pretty good too. For the past 3 years we've been saying "Player A (Gerhart, Luck, the TEs) is gone.Shaw will show his true colors and Stanford will fade away now." Hasn't happened yet. Stanford has a ton of backups that would start for UW and a coach who is a winner and plays a manly breed of football.
    2) Oregon doesn't look to be fading but they have something they haven't had in many years- a head coach who has been a loser in the past. Helfrich coached for Dirk Koetter while he was sucking at ASU and was OC at Colorado when they sucked ass as well. Let's not pretend that he was doing anything except holding Chip's coffee (and occasionally his penis while no one was looking) while he was OC at Oregon. If he fails and Knight wants him gone for a "big name" coach after he goes 9-3 or something, expect a complete turnover at Oregon. All those old coaches have been there so long because promotions have always come from within. Remember, a great team can fall quickly. Look at UW when Lambo took over and USC when Kiffin took over. Coaching is a huge factor in on-field performance as we all know.
  • Stanford's run is about to end. They are loaded with seniors and the numbers don't add up for Oregon or USC type success. Oregon will probably win out, including a bowl win for their 4th straigh 12 win season. Oregon may drop slightly next year if Mariota leaves, but by that a mean to a 10 win season with no end in sight of success. UW fans would kill for a 10 win season and act like they're national champs. Oregon will be pissed and their bandwagon will get a flat.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you calling Shaw an overrated bum 3 weeks ago?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you calling Cal a sleeper team heading into the season?
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited November 2013
    I was thinking Stanford will regress as well, but after looking at their depth chart, I think I'm wrong. I think they will have a good OL. Garnett and Murphy were both 5 star guys and they don't start yet. That's some great depth on the OL.

Only real worry would be replacing Murphy and Skov who are potentially All Americans. Other than that, most of their team comes back. They should be a top 10-15 team again.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,686 Standard Supporter
    James Vaughtners and this guy should tide them over for a little while:

http://washington.scout.com/a.z?s=147&p=8&c=1&nid=5360833
  • uw2010uw2010 Member Posts: 940
    Stanford's actually been recruiting quite well recently, and unlike us, they have a coach that can develop that talent.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,662 Founders Club
    The thing about Stanford is they've always been good at the girls/Olympic/niche sports (water polo.. nogaf). Now I think they're at least semi - serious about football. I read something somewhere about how when Walt Harris was there, they paid their assistants s***, and a lot of them had to live a long ways away. Now that has all changed.

They're kind of annoying but if it's between whOregon & them, I'll take TreeIndiansdarkred's success any day.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,842 Founders Club

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you calling Cal a sleeper team heading into the season?
    Guilty as charged. Now, answer the question!
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133

Ouch more cock

I never called him a bum. I was more in the LIPO with him while pointing out some bad losses on him. Sven was the one who was more anti Shaw.

Now after this game I'm a believer although Harbaugh set him up nicely. This is a Senior team(meaning Harbaugh's guys). I could see him doing great things at USC but I wouldn't be shocked if he tried to step up to a bigger school and fall on his ass.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

I never called him a bum. I was more in the LIPO with him while pointing out some bad losses on him. Sven was the one who was more anti Shaw.

Now after this game I'm a believer although Harbaugh set him up nicely. This is a Senior team(meaning Harbaugh's guys). I could see him doing great things at USC but I wouldn't be shocked if he tried to step up to a bigger school and fall on his ass.
    I would have fired David Shaw on the 50 yard line at Rice Eccles earlier this year. Utah is 0-5 against everyone else in the conference because the Utes fucking suck.

I would have fired David Shaw on the 50 yard line at Rice Eccles earlier this year. Utah is 0-5 against everyone else in the conference because the Utes fucking suck.
    How could you have fired him if already fired him the year before for playing Nunes?
  • mobeymobey Member Posts: 3,254
    We're young.

Give us some time and Sark will take us back to the promised land.

If there had been internet back during DJ's era, you would have wanted him fired too.

How could you have fired him if already fired him the year before for playing Nunes?
    He would have fired him, rehired him and then fired him again. Every time at the 50-yard line.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

He would have fired him, rehired him and then fired him again. Every time at the 50-yard line.
    I've fired Shaw at least three times already.

Boobs is the new Steinbrenner and Shaw the new Billy Martin? I learn something new everyday on this site.