Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Tyler Hilinski, dead.

Comments

• Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,356
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam

The faux outrage is cute, coming from a bunch of boners who tell everyone to kill themselves every single day.

That's not faux outrage. This is a legitimate real life issue and has affected me and many other people. Most of the shit on here is funny but making fun of someone who committed suicide is over the line for me. Too far.
    Was making fun of doogs, not him. Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it?
    You used him as your punchline. Take the loss, edit the comment, and move on. Don't make light of suicide in any way.
    Fuck off. The guy was a dickhead for doing that to his family. And I can say that, because I personally know someone who did that. It takes a selfish motherfucker to do that generally.
    You need to fuck off. Suicide is not a joke. I know people who have been in that situation. They're not selfish. Jackasses like you are the reason they go there. It's a dark place. You can call it selfish, but you have to understand that they feel that same burn. They're ashamed that that's the choice they feel they have to make. Quit talking like you've been there, done that. Have some fucking empathy. I have friends who have been there and they were the nicest, most selfless people you've ever met. You just don't get it. They feel there is no way out, and they aren't getting taught anything about it. It's hard to get help. People are ashamed. They're basically in a lose-lose situation. Go one way and it just makes it worse, go the other and the same thing happens. There's a reason suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death among teens. Please quit being a dick and have some empathy. Please.
    Blaming me is stupid. Blame fucks like Cobain, Cornell and Chester Bennington for glamorizing it. Blame society, where life is cheap. Blame his parents, who probably weren't there for him. Blame mental illness.
    Yeah, you need to STFU.
  • Options
    dongmandongman Member Posts: 2,384
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

The info I see is: In Washington State and many other states, an individual can be involuntarily committed if that person is found to be mentally ill and either “presents a likelihood of serious harm” or is “gravely disabled.”

So that is hopelessly subjective. Personally I think you should retain the right to suicide as a kind of right along with free speech. I mean, don't commit suicide. But I am saying it's your right. A guy playing for Leach might contemplate suicide. Maybe he is afraid of seeking help for fear of involuntary commitment. So he shrugs it off, until one day maybe his girlfriend breaks up, or there is some trigger. My argument here is sound in that it should be easier to seek help with no fear of being locked up.

It’s because of the stigma of being put up in a mental institution. People have to stop being more afraid of what society will think/judge them on for their stay, then potentially killing themselves.

After reading your string of posts I think you should be 5150’d.
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    This is what I was remembering, so the situation has improved

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20140818/NEWS/308189940
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,715
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

This is what I was remembering, so the situation has improved

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/article/20140818/NEWS/308189940

Psychiatric patients is a much broader category than psychiatric patients hospitalized for active suicidal intent.

It gets headlines to highlight patients waiting for weeks in an ED for an inpatient bed and no doubt it is a horrible situation but I haven't seen any proof of suicidal patients being held that long. There are other reasons patients are committed that have different timelines.
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Still, I don't get how anybody objectively figures out 1) if a patient is truly suicidal or one of the infinite nuances you claim there are and the 2) how you'd really prevent somebody, even locking them up, no matter how long. So, there should be no involuntary lockup at all. I rest my case.
  • Options
    dongmandongman Member Posts: 2,384
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper

Still, I don't get how anybody objectively figures out 1) if a patient is truly suicidal or one of the infinite nuances you claim there are and the 2) how you'd really prevent somebody, even locking them up, no matter how long. So, there should be no involuntary lockup at all. I rest my case.

Reading your breakdown of mental illness and suicidality, is like reading mosster breakdown an offense.

I would guess you have almost 0 experience with it at all. There are trained professionals who help people with these issues all day, all year. They know the cues, the histories, risk factors in terms of history of abuse, drug use, mental illness etc. Sounds like you fear health care death squads or something.
  • Options
    TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,753
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    A lot of insurgents on HH need testosterone supplements, obviously. At least get off the soy, wimps.

Derek: When and why did you start courting Huffington Post readers?
  • Options
    WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,741
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes
    OBK's DoogBot rating is really taking a beating in this thread.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer

A lot of insurgents on HH need testosterone supplements, obviously. At least get off the soy, wimps.

Derek: When and why did you start courting Huffington Post readers?

fan site of a Seattle sportz team

@DerekJohnson

already
  • Options
    USMChawkUSMChawk Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,796
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2018
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited January 2018

The faux outrage is cute, coming from a bunch of boners who tell everyone to kill themselves every single day.

That's not faux outrage. This is a legitimate real life issue and has affected me and many other people. Most of the shit on here is funny but making fun of someone who committed suicide is over the line for me. Too far.
    Was making fun of doogs, not him. Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it?
    You used him as your punchline. Take the loss, edit the comment, and move on. Don't make light of suicide in any way.
    Fuck off. The guy was a dickhead for doing that to his family. And I can say that, because I personally know someone who did that. It takes a selfish motherfucker to do that generally.
    You need to fuck off. Suicide is not a joke. I know people who have been in that situation. They're not selfish. Jackasses like you are the reason they go there. It's a dark place. You can call it selfish, but you have to understand that they feel that same burn. They're ashamed that that's the choice they feel they have to make. Quit talking like you've been there, done that. Have some fucking empathy. I have friends who have been there and they were the nicest, most selfless people you've ever met. You just don't get it. They feel there is no way out, and they aren't getting taught anything about it. It's hard to get help. People are ashamed. They're basically in a lose-lose situation. Go one way and it just makes it worse, go the other and the same thing happens. There's a reason suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death among teens. Please quit being a dick and have some empathy. Please.
    In his dickish way, what I think OBK is trying to say is that suicide among the young is at epidemic proportions - and perhaps the way society currently views it and is combating it isn't working.

I am not quite as old as @RaceBannon but, in my youth, I honestly do not recall ANY young person taking their own life though I know it happened very rarely. Over the course of the last couple years, I can count multiple occurrences in which acquaintances were touched by suicide.

I can empathize with the mindset of the deceased - but can't condone the act or somehow hold up the victim as heroic. You said it yourself - "there's a reason suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death among teens". Whatever that reason may be, 'talk to someone' or "call 1-800..." doesn't work and needs examination as to why this is now a somewhat accepted method of solving one's problems.

Disagree... I went to HS in the 80's and there were 3 or 4 at my school alone, in my 4 years. It was a big problem back then.

But none of those were as shocking as this one. No one knows all that's rattling around someone's noggin' but Tyler seemed to be as happy and energetic as you get. No signs of depression. Not sure if He was possibly bi-polar or what has happened. Reading the note won't really bring any peace to anyone but maybe give a little insight.
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183

Blaming me is stupid. Blame fucks like Cobain, Cornell and Chester Bennington for glamorizing it. Blame society, where life is cheap. Blame his parents, who probably weren't there for him. Blame mental illness.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    dnc said:

In his dickish way, what I think OBK is trying to say is that suicide among the young is at epidemic proportions - and perhaps the way society currently views it and is combating it isn't working.

I am not quite as old as @RaceBannon but, in my youth, I honestly do not recall ANY young person taking their own life though I know it happened very rarely. Over the course of the last couple years, I can count multiple occurrences in which acquaintances were touched by suicide.

I can empathize with the mindset of the deceased - but can't condone the act or somehow hold up the victim as heroic. You said it yourself - "there's a reason suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death among teens". Whatever that reason may be, 'talk to someone' or "call 1-800..." doesn't work and needs examination as to why this is now a somewhat accepted method of solving one's problems.

Despite your anecdotal evidence, suicide rates are down from last century.

Keeping depression in the closet didn't work.
    The anecdotal evidence makes sense. When the throbber was growing up we *knew* less people than people know now. We are connected to vastly more people than we used to be thanks to Gore and Zuckerberg. So of course we're going to know more people doing scary shit.

There have been multiple (gratefully) unsuccessful suicide attempts in my family. It sucks ass.

Ts and Ps to the Helsinkis.
    People forget UW had to beat him in the Gold Medal Match
  • Options
    BaldwinIVBaldwinIV Member Posts: 797
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Little odd that they sent the cops to check up on him when he didn't show. Why not just send a player or friend?