Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

OT: The original Marinerization

In his five seasons as manager of the Pirates, Lloyd McClendon compiled a 336–446 record.

Paying to attend Mariner games is the one thing more fucktarded than paying to attend Husky games.

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,107 Founders Club
    Did they hire this guy or something? I thought the Mariners moved to Oklahoma City?
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    Hugh Millen is blowing a gasket ...
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Did they hire this guy or something? I thought the Mariners moved to Oklahoma City?

If baseball didn't have a zombie running the sport, the Mariners would have been contracted 15 years ago.
  • digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,502
    Why didn't they hire Jim Leyland? Oh yeah, because he's a proven winner. Fucking Mariners...
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    This is actually a pretty good hire - I actually like McClendon a lot
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    Baseball coaches are pretty worthless when in comes to the MLB. The only thing they do is make the lineup (which is almost the exact same every night) and figure out when to put in a certain pitcher.

Mariners could have gotten Dusty Baker, Joe Torre, or La Russa and it wouldn't matter because the talent blows. You think this guy that they hired really had anything to do with Miguel Cabrera hitting the shit out of the ball? When you get to the MLB you don't need to be coached on your swing or your fundamentals on defense/pitching. Look at the world series this year, it was a 3rd year head coach vs a 1st year head coach.

Mariners being worthless is a talent issue, which stems from shitty trade after shitty trade (Adam Jones for Erik Bedard!!!11!) and having horrible scouts when it comes to the draft. Look at some of the players they passed over for fucks like Morrow.

• MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    I like winners.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,332
    Tequilla said:

You fucking would
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838
    Tequilla said:

Yes, because you follow the career of a lifelong bench coach, who has a losing record during his one stint at the helm ...

Fuck ...
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,332
    Great manager and shit GM = .500 seasons

Shit manager and great GM = Home playoff games

Head coaches are extremely important in football and basketball, but in baseball, the GM is the most important position to the franchise for on field performance.

Great manager and shit GM = .500 seasons

Shit manager and great GM = Home playoff games

Head coaches are extremely important in football and basketball, but in baseball, the GM is the most important position to the franchise for on field performance.

Nailed it. Head coach is just a face to go with the franchise. GM's are way more important for the success of a baseball team.
  • ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904

In his five seasons as manager of the Pirates, Lloyd McClendon compiled a 336–446 record.

Paying to attend Mariner games is the one thing more fucktarded than paying to attend Husky games.

With marinerization you'd usually want at least a +500 coach. Say, 7-6 year after year. The idea is to keep easily gullible fans in the stands with the hope of "next year will be the one." You have to balance between getting a stable coach that does not take unnecessary risks and losing too much. The bottom line is MONEY. If profit then success, not if win then success. Big Difference
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Hard to hold his managerial record against him in Pittsburgh ...

Absolutely agree that a manager is shit without a good GM and backing of ownership ...

The Mariners at minimum need new direction from ownership ...

Jack Z probably isn't the answer at GM, and I'd be 100% supportive of moving on from him if there was new ownership and they decided to go in a different direction ... but I can't absolutely 100% say that he's terrible given what he's had to work with.
  • digitsdigits Member Posts: 1,502

Baseball coaches are pretty worthless when in comes to the MLB. The only thing they do is make the lineup (which is almost the exact same every night) and figure out when to put in a certain pitcher.

Mariners could have gotten Dusty Baker, Joe Torre, or La Russa and it wouldn't matter because the talent blows. You think this guy that they hired really had anything to do with Miguel Cabrera hitting the shit out of the ball? When you get to the MLB you don't need to be coached on your swing or your fundamentals on defense/pitching. Look at the world series this year, it was a 3rd year head coach vs a 1st year head coach.

Mariners being worthless is a talent issue, which stems from shitty trade after shitty trade (Adam Jones for Erik Bedard!!!11!) and having horrible scouts when it comes to the draft. Look at some of the players they passed over for fucks like Morrow.

While I somewhat understand your logic, you lost all creditability when you referred to an MLB manager as a "head coach." I believe they're referred to as Managers in MLB, not head coaches. You probably call home plate, "home base." Christ almighty.

While I somewhat understand your logic, you lost all creditability when you referred to an MLB manager as a "head coach." I believe they're referred to as Managers in MLB, not head coaches. You probably call home plate, "home base." Christ almighty.

When I played I liked to call it "the dish". I usually referred to the head honcho as "the skipper" as well but I like to mix things up on tuesdays.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,159

You, my friend, understand how major league baseball works
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    horrible hire, of that list of 5 he was the only one I'd be mad at
  • Hiring a black coach who failed at another job. Gee where have I seen this script before?

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    edited November 2013

Hiring a black coach who failed at another job. Gee where have I seen this script before?

Just more Huskyization of the Mariners.

The student has become the master.

• http://seattletimes.com/html/jerrybrewer/2022197770_brewer06xml.html

What a surprise, Jerry Brewer is recycling his Ty Willingham talking points to defend a loser black coach.

There’s nothing wrong with this hire. The Mariners chose a good person for their situation. McClendon is a well-respected baseball mind. He has a good history as a hitting coach, which is the Mariners’ weakness. He did a decent job in his first managing gig with the Pittsburgh Pirates. He was fired after posting a .430 winning percentage in five seasons with the previously befuddling Pirates, which is hardly cause for concern. In Joe Torre’s first managing job, he had a .405 winning percentage in five seasons with the New York Mets. Casey Stengel? A .453 winning percentage at his first stop.

This guy is such a clown for a writer and so predictable too.