Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Beau Baldwin

Has a fence around Washington and knows how to beat a ranked Oregon State.

He's gonna be a good coach when he grows up.

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited November 2013
    He's done well at Eastern, but he plays professional poker in his off seasons. He'd have to cut out that shit if he coached at UW. You can get away with that at Eastern where you basically take the top in state guys who weren't offered by FBS schools mixed with some JC's and bottom of the scrap Cali guys, but I don't think that would work in a BCS conference. You need to be in it full time to be successful in big time college football.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,662 Founders Club
    edited November 2013

He's done well at Eastern, but he plays professional poker in his off seasons. He'd have to cut out that shit if he coached at UW. You can get away with that at Eastern where you basically take the top in state guys who weren't offered by FBS schools mixed with some JC's and bottom of the scrap Cali guys, but I don't think that would work in a BCS conference. You need to be in it full time to be successful in big time college football.

If he's one of the douchebags that wears sunglasses on TV, he needs to be punched in the face.

After seeing Big Sky coaches like Wulff and Hauck Fall flat on their faces in "FBS", I'm very wary of 1-aa guys. it's true that at Washington there are the resources and money to succeed, but if you're going to get a new coach he needs to get to the top 25 and contend for the Rose Bowl right away ( this is not a defense of 7 win Steve).
  • LawDawg1LawDawg1 Member Posts: 3,825
    Is he one of the Baldwin brothers? The fat one or the cute one?
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208

He's done well at Eastern, but he plays professional pboker in his off seasons. He'd have to cut out that shit if he coached at UW. You can get away with that at Eastern where you basically take the top in state guys who weren't offered by FBS schools mixed with some JC's and bottom of the scrap Cali guys, but I don't think that would work in a BCS conference. You need to be in it full time to be successful in big time college football.

If he's one of the douchebags that wears sunglasses on TV, he needs to be punched in the face.

After seeing Big Sky coaches like Wulff and Hauck Fall flat on their faces in "FBS", I'm very wary of 1-aa guys. it's true that at Washington there are the resources and money to succeed, but if you're going to get a new coach he needs to get to the top 25 and contend for the Rose Bowl right away ( this is not a defense of 7 win Steve).
    You forgot Chip Kelly

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,107 Founders Club
    Jim Tressel as well
  • ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    He put up almost the same numbers on Idaho St offensively as did the Huskys. Some of you guys act like Idaho State never happened.
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,293 Founders Club

He put up almost the same numbers on Idaho St offensively as did the Huskys. Some of you guys act like Idaho State never happened.

He beat Oregon State this year as well, with a team that has only 63 players on scholarship.

BB >>>> SS

He beat Oregon State this year as well, with a team that has only 63 players on scholarship.

BB >>>> SS

I know Wulff was a flop in the PAC, but that doesn't mean Baldwin would be. A guy like Sark got the job by association with USC, but he didn't work his way up like Baldwin has been doing.
  • Baldwin unlike WULFF! Has been crushing it in the big sky while WULFF! was just average.
  • topdawgnctopdawgnc Member Posts: 7,838

Baldwin unlike WULFF! Has been crushing it in the big sky while WULFF! was just average.

Can you really say he is killing it?

He has been a head coach for 5 years.

Hung tough with Washington and Washington State, beat Oregon State.

He did win a natty in year 3 ... but then followed it up with a 6-5 season.

This hire would excite about as much as Sark did.

Let OSU or BSU take him, then make a call on how well he would do in the big leagues.

The Vest (as I like to call him) had been at Youngstown for 15 years ... Chip was a consultant to the big names on a niche offense ...

What has Beau done?
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,686 Standard Supporter
    30-10 in conference is killing it...75% winning percentage and he's never done worse than placing 3rd in conference while SSWS' best finish has been 3rd! One could argue Baldwin's floor is SSWS' ceiling:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beau_Baldwin

I'd rather have Jim Tressel and let him be suspended for 5 games for the first year (might make him cheaper too which would be nice if we have to pay SSWS in 2014 too).
    It would be smart to give him an interview for the Huskie coaching job. I'm surprised somebody hasn't snatched him up. Hiring a guy like Baldwin would be a bit of a risk, which they probably won't want to take in line with the Doctrine of Marinerization.