Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Mark Dantonio

Was a DC for 8 years amid 20 years as an assistant, including 3 years as DC at Ohio St.

Prior to coming to MSU they went 5-5-4. He goes 7-9-6-11-11-7 and likely another 11 this year.

Not a sexy hire but a solid coach who proved he was a good hire immediately and then very good in years 4 and 5. Not saying we should hire him but it shows you two things. First, Sark looks like a fucking high school coach compared to the top 20 coaches and second, a boring but solid coach will prove his worth early and pay huge dividends over time.

Comments

• I would like a coach with a proven track record as a head coach myself. What is his conference record? I know teams have a habit of padding their W-L.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,662 Founders Club
    edited November 2013
    He's definitely in my top 3 or 4. I'm not sure of his conference record but he's made five or six straight bowls, has owned Michigan, and has made some Big 10 Championship Games. With him, the lines would be solved within a year or two, there wouldn't be very many blowout losses, and we would win at least 9 or 10 most years.
  • fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,212
    I like him.. But he hasn't gotten to a big (BCS) bowl ... So he hasn't won one.. Good coaches are good in big games ...

But if it was him or Sark.. I'm with Dantonionionionno ...
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295

I would like a coach with a proven track record as a head coach myself. What is his conference record? I know teams have a habit of padding their W-L.

35-18 and since his first year 32-13.

He's coached under Tressel and Saban.

• puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    Id take him over Sark ANYDAY, if only to find a position for Wooching, get the ball to the TE and keep Oregon off the fucking field. After watching MSU, I realize how soft UW is.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    Minnesota would grind our faces into the field turf. The Big10 will be back next year, and physical as ever.
  • MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685

Id take him over Sark ANYDAY, if only to find a position for Wooching, get the ball to the TE and keep Oregon off the fucking field. After watching MSU, I realize how soft UW is.

Did it really take you until 11/2/13 to realize the UW team was soft?

Benefit of the doubt is strong with PL_SS.

• chrisvashonchrisvashon Member Posts: 627
    For DC, fine. But his offenses are a dreckfest. No thanks.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,107 Founders Club
    I wouldn't root for him to lose just so I could be right. He strikes me as a good Husky coach. Better record than Saban at State?
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123

I like him because he would win more games than Sark and would have tough teams. Who gives a fuck about Wooching? If he plays, great, if not, who cares. I don't think a fullback playing or not is going to make or break the program. Do you want us to poach Sonny Dykes from Cal because he would get the ball to Kasen?

• Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,662 Founders Club
    35-18 Big 10 (11, 12, 14) if my quick math is correct

Its not spectacular given that the conference as a whole has kind of sucked, but it's pretty good. My guess is that's second to THE Ohio St. and Michigan State has been an underachieving mediocre team since the 60's. It's way better than Sark anyway.
  • TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    Better than Sark but pretty meh. He's already 57 years old.
  • RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160

I bet he's got a good 6-8 years left in the tank. He's tough as nails and, stating the obvious, would be a huge upgrade over our favorite Armenian. He's not exactly known for offense but the defense would improve immediately. He deserves to be in the conversation.
  • beelzebubbeelzebub Member Posts: 361
    When Oregon puts 50 plus on that dude next year want to see how many of u pimps still squeeling for him
  • DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180

I bet he's got a good 6-8 years left in the tank. He's tough as nails and, stating the obvious, would be a huge upgrade over our favorite Armenian. He's not exactly known for offense but the defense would improve immediately. He deserves to be in the conversation.
    His offenses are epically bad but if we open our pocketbooks, no reason we couldn't hire a top coordinator.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,065 Standard Supporter
    edited November 2013
    I like him. His lines play physical and their defense is tough as nails. His offenses usually do suck but he wins. He did tie for a big 10 title one year but I don't know what the tie breaker was.

He is making 2 million and could probably be had with for a significant raise. I am guessing he can't spend as much on assistants there either but I don't know for sure.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Being 57 shouldn't be a big deal. Not many coaches stay at the same school for 15-20 years. A guy who is 57 could give us 10 good years, which I would take in a heartbeat.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Not throwing this guy out as a candidate, but if anybody watched the Virginia Tech @ Boston College game today, you saw a first year coach at BC (believe he came from Temple) do the following:

1) He's embraced a philosophy that his teams are going to play tough, physical football on the OL/DL

2) Base offense consists of some combination of 5-7 OL/TEs, 1 WR, QB, FB, and RB. They run the ball hard between the tackles and use enough play action and misdirection to keep the defense honest.

3) When they are in positions where they can be aggressive and blitz, they embrace those opportunities to create turnovers.

None of the above is earth shattering football. None of that is sexy. But it is a philosophy and one that you have to commit to if you embrace it. You can't get down 1-2 scores in a game and decide that you're going to change who you are. You trust in what it is that you do.

BC sucks. They aren't a great team. But sometimes watching teams that suck pull off a nice upset in a well played game highlights those that have plans. And conversely, it also highlights when others don't have plans.

Bottom line is that Sark seems incapable of embracing a philosophy or core set of values and running with them. It'll be his downfall.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,798
    Uh, Dantonio = Seven
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,065 Standard Supporter
    He had a 29-13 record in conference at msu after 5 years vs whatever shitty record 7 will have after 5 years. Maybe this is a whoosh of some kind.