Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

If it were possible in a few years, would you hire Chip Kelly as your HC after he fails in the NFL?

If it were possible in a few years, would you hire Chip Kelly as your HC after he fails in the NFL?

Comments

• TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959
    Chip doesn't know how to fail.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    edited November 2013

The Oregon system is not viable in the NFL. It's not like he can really "recruit" there like he did at the college level. He's also not dealing with a tight knit group of guys that bring their A game every week because they give a shit about the team and want to make it into the NFL. He's dealing with guys that are already there, putting up with the huge egos of highly paid prima donnas. I just don't see it happening. He's an even win/even loss coach at best. Like Nick Saban, he's better suited to be a college coach. He only makes it if he gives up on that and buys into the pro style ground and pound approach.
  • I don't think Chip will succeed in the NFL, Yes I would hire him but I think he'll be the next Texas Longhorns head coach. Him at Texas vs Saban at Alabama will be some epic national title games.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288

I don't think Chip will succeed in the NFL, Yes I would hire him but I think he'll be the next Texas Longhorns head coach. Him at Texas vs Saban at Alabama will be some epic national title games.

I'm cringing just thinking about that. I hate Texas and want them to drown in the Gulf of Mexico. Would rather see him go to aTm than to the dickhorns. That team is much more likeable.

• CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986

Christ.

And on an off week.

GFY
  • death2ducksdeath2ducks Member Posts: 991

The Oregon system is not viable in the NFL. It's not like he can really "recruit" there like he did at the college level. He's also not dealing with a tight knit group of guys that bring their A game every week because they give a shit about the team and want to make it into the NFL. He's dealing with guys that are already there, putting up with the huge egos of highly paid prima donnas. I just don't see it happening. He's an even win/even loss coach at best. Like Nick Saban, he's better suited to be a college coach. He only makes it if he gives up on that and buys into the pro style ground and pound approach.
    The Oregon system doesn't work in the NFL because it beats up QB's at the rate RB's are currently beaten up, 5-6 years or faster given the higher pace of plays. Pro's want QB's that last for 15 years. Why? Because it decreases inventory turnover of players. But what percentage of QB's play 15 years for the same team? Very few.

Vick is 33. Chip already needs to replace him. Vick is too old to be a true read/option QB. NFL teams that toyed with the read/option are already calling it less this year to save wear and tear on their QB's. That includes Seattle. It's also why Washington doesn't run it. Sark wants to "save' wear and tear on KP. Do I agree with him? Of course not. NOT running it is also hurting ASJ, because the 3rd option is the dump over the LB to the TE. Tuiasasopo has to be dying inside watching Sark NOT run the system, because he would be a great QB in that system. Mariota is just a younger version of Tui. BTW, Jake Locker would have been magnificent in it. In that regard, Sark was an an even bigger idiot for not going to it when Jake was around.

The main reason it works in college is the fact that inventory turnover is built into the system; everyone is basically gone in 3-5 years anyway. Protecting players doesn't matter to the factory schools with depth. If someone goes down, it's "next man in". In that way it's similar to the military. Players in HS are the equivalent to the draft in the military; the ready supply of replacements. Generals don't care about casualties terribly much, if there is a ready supply of replacements, (when there's a draft). Casualties are part of football as with war. Chip, at Oregon, planned for them just like Generals do. Sark is way too sentimental in this area. If you don't have depth, (like the Israeli Army), you really care about survivability. If you're Red China, you REALLY don't care. The US used to be more like China when we had the draft, but now is more like Israel. Oregon is getting like Red China. Washington is Oregon VERY LITE this year.

Looking at it a slightly different way, body armor in the military is expensive and was available long before the USA used it. They didn't get serious about it until there wasn't a draft anymore. Same with football. If you have a supply of something, like we do QB's right now, you shouldn't worry about injuring your starting QB too much. Sark is an idiot in that regard. It's because Sark was a QB. That's why he doesn't run the read/option and instead works Sankey to death. Sark favors KP over everyone else, and I'm sure the team has figured it out and silently resents it. Sark sees himself in KP, an accurate pocket passer that would be fantastic with an All-Pro OL. Sark wants to get him to the NFL. Why does he care? Doctors can fix almost everything these days. Look at Peyton Manning. Plus, football players accept the fact that injuries happen. They don't like it when the coach is overly protective of one player over another. They think, why is he KP so special while Sankey puts it on the line every play?

I think I agree with you regarding Chip not making it in the NFL. If he can find enough QB's to run the system, he'll make it. If not, he won't. His system also will eventually have an effect on the other positions. This will cause more "inventory turnover". Teams that turn their inventory over faster are the losing teams in the NFL. Can he replenish through free agency? Time will tell, but the salary cap will cause him headaches. THE NFL=ISRAEL.

I don't think Chip has an affinity to Oregon. He'll go to the highest bidder. Will we get him? It depends who is in the market when he comes out of the NFL. I would take him in a heartbeat. Who knows better how to beat Oregon than Chip? Plus, Phil Knight would have a heart attack if it happened.

The Oregon system doesn't work in the NFL because it beats up QB's at the rate RB's are currently beaten up, 5-6 years or faster given the higher pace of plays. Pro's want QB's that last for 15 years. Why? Because it decreases inventory turnover of players. But what percentage of QB's play 15 years for the same team? Very few.

Vick is 33. Chip already needs to replace him. Vick is too old to be a true read/option QB. NFL teams that toyed with the read/option are already calling it less this year to save wear and tear on their QB's. That includes Seattle. It's also why Washington doesn't run it. Sark wants to "save' wear and tear on KP. Do I agree with him? Of course not. NOT running it is also hurting ASJ, because the 3rd option is the dump over the LB to the TE. Tuiasasopo has to be dying inside watching Sark NOT run the system, because he would be a great QB in that system. Mariota is just a younger version of Tui. BTW, Jake Locker would have been magnificent in it. In that regard, Sark was an an even bigger idiot for not going to it when Jake was around.

The main reason it works in college is the fact that inventory turnover is built into the system; everyone is basically gone in 3-5 years anyway. Protecting players doesn't matter to the factory schools with depth. If someone goes down, it's "next man in". In that way it's similar to the military. Players in HS are the equivalent to the draft in the military; the ready supply of replacements. Generals don't care about casualties terribly much, if there is a ready supply of replacements, (when there's a draft). Casualties are part of football as with war. Chip, at Oregon, planned for them just like Generals do. Sark is way too sentimental in this area. If you don't have depth, (like the Israeli Army), you really care about survivability. If you're Red China, you REALLY don't care. The US used to be more like China when we had the draft, but now is more like Israel. Oregon is getting like Red China. Washington is Oregon VERY LITE this year.

Looking at it a slightly different way, body armor in the military is expensive and was available long before the USA used it. They didn't get serious about it until there wasn't a draft anymore. Same with football. If you have a supply of something, like we do QB's right now, you shouldn't worry about injuring your starting QB too much. Sark is an idiot in that regard. It's because Sark was a QB. That's why he doesn't run the read/option and instead works Sankey to death. Sark favors KP over everyone else, and I'm sure the team has figured it out and silently resents it. Sark sees himself in KP, an accurate pocket passer that would be fantastic with an All-Pro OL. Sark wants to get him to the NFL. Why does he care? Doctors can fix almost everything these days. Look at Peyton Manning. Plus, football players accept the fact that injuries happen. They don't like it when the coach is overly protective of one player over another. They think, why is he KP so special while Sankey puts it on the line every play?

I think I agree with you regarding Chip not making it in the NFL. If he can find enough QB's to run the system, he'll make it. If not, he won't. His system also will eventually have an effect on the other positions. This will cause more "inventory turnover". Teams that turn their inventory over faster are the losing teams in the NFL. Can he replenish through free agency? Time will tell, but the salary cap will cause him headaches. THE NFL=ISRAEL.

I don't think Chip has an affinity to Oregon. He'll go to the highest bidder. Will we get him? It depends who is in the market when he comes out of the NFL. I would take him in a heartbeat. Who knows better how to beat Oregon than Chip? Plus, Phil Knight would have a heart attack if it happened.
    Jesus Christ.

What a load of shit.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    I don't think he's going to fail in the NFL, though he may end up just mediocre.

Once the show cause is over, I'd take him in a nanosecond.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Disagree.
  • fivehundredmileDAWGfivehundredmileDAWG Member Posts: 1,212
    I don't like Kelly or Harbaugh ...

But I dislike the Huskies sucking far worse than I dislike either of them...

Therefore my answer is YES

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Saban only coached two years in the NFL and his QB's were a washed up Dante Culpepper and Joey Harrington. His defenses both years were very good. If he didn't fuck up and took Drew Brees over Culpepper he would have had success in the NFL. Saying he was a failure in the NFL is shortsighted.
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,383 Swaye's Wigwam
    I'd get rid of my first born for Chip
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
    Chip can only effectively use his offense to an extent with the NFL rules. That defense in Philly is AWFUL though so until they fix that they can still put up 40+ and lose.

Saban only coached two years in the NFL and his QB's were a washed up Dante Culpepper and Joey Harrington. His defenses both years were very good. If he didn't fuck up and took Drew Brees over Culpepper he would have had success in the NFL. Saying he was a failure in the NFL is shortsighted.

Saban chose Brees. Brees failed the physical given by the Miami team doctor.
  • unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    Of course we'd take Chip. Available for college in 2015. It would piss off Quooks and Doogs alike.

If he wants to stay in the closet that's fine. But I'm sure Seattle's gay community would be ecstatic if he wants to come out.

Could be a real win-win for Seattle
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,174

Would rather see him go to aTm than to the dickhorns. That team is much more likeable.

As someone who lives in Texas - wrong.