Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Boov Poast of the Day

PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,707 Founders Club
I will admit that I wasn't sure this was the way to go when I originally heard the news but it is growing on me the more I think about it. If we are being realistic, we probably were not going to get a big name coach that hadn't failed at other places already. We went with the big name flashy hire with Andersen and how did that turn out? I have come around to acceptance and a bit of excitement about the hire. JS is already a legend at OSU as a player and has been under the tutelage of a great coach for several years who knows how to build a program the right way. I am expecting JS to build a strong, motivated, young staff with a couple high energy recruiters that will fill the void in personality that JS just doesn't have. I hope he retains Cory Hall which is one of those personalities, but back as the DB coach and not at a coordinator level. Also, I expect him to bring in someone from his past that can continue to offer advice and mentorship for the tough situations that JS hasn't experienced yet. This might be Erickson? This might be Riley? Who knows, but I don't think it will be in a key coaching position, but maybe as a special consultant or some sort of advisory role.

JS isn't going to turn this thing around overnight, but I think he will be able to build a very competitive program over time. Let's be honest, it is going to take 3-5 years at least before we start talking about being top-tier in the Pac-12 but I think JS can get us there. Was there anyone out there that would be able to do it faster? If he succeeds, it will just build upon his status as an OSU legend. JS is a winner, has won everywhere he has been as a player and as a coach and I think he will eventually be one here at OSU.

I hear all the complaining about "why did it take so long? We had 7 weeks and this is what we got?" , etc... but the season just ended on Saturday and we have a coach on Weds. We had to wait until the season was over before we could do face to face interviews in most cases. Sure, there were unemployed or retread coaches out there we could have locked up sooner, but not waiting to speak to sitting coaches would have been a mistake. I am guessing we will eventually hear who else Barnes interviewed (besides Baldwin) and I am guessing he had talked to several people during the 7 weeks before the season ended, but I also feel that JS was sitting towards the top of that list from the beginning. Even if we talked with coaches like Les Miles or other big-name coaches, were they really interested or just getting their name out in the press for a higher profile while they looked for a bigger school. I never saw Miles coming here, I would rather have JS than Neuheisel, I was "Meh" on Graham... There were other coordinators that were mentioned but they also didn't have head coaching experience and were probably not learning from one of the best in Peterson (Stanford DC excluded...) so why not bring back a Legend and give him a shot. I will support him and cheer my but off for him to be a huge success.

http://bennyshouse.freeforums.net/thread/7516/thoughts-on-js-osu

Comments

• PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,707 Founders Club
    A new hope in Alderaan... They'll be screaming in horror soon enough before they are all silenced.

http://bennyshouse.freeforums.net/thread/7520/guess-time-get-important-stuff
  • BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member Posts: 11,157
    What does being top-tier mean to 99% of Boov fans who also buy their cereal in bags?
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    HE NEEDS MORE TIME!
  • longduckdonglongduckdong Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,023 Swaye's Wigwam

I will admit that I wasn't sure this was the way to go when I originally heard the news but it is growing on me the more I think about it. If we are being realistic, we probably were not going to get a big name coach that hadn't failed at other places already. We went with the big name flashy hire with Andersen and how did that turn out? I have come around to acceptance and a bit of excitement about the hire. JS is already a legend at OSU as a player and has been under the tutelage of a great coach for several years who knows how to build a program the right way. I am expecting JS to build a strong, motivated, young staff with a couple high energy recruiters that will fill the void in personality that JS just doesn't have. I hope he retains Cory Hall which is one of those personalities, but back as the DB coach and not at a coordinator level. Also, I expect him to bring in someone from his past that can continue to offer advice and mentorship for the tough situations that JS hasn't experienced yet. This might be Erickson? This might be Riley? Who knows, but I don't think it will be in a key coaching position, but maybe as a special consultant or some sort of advisory role.

JS isn't going to turn this thing around overnight, but I think he will be able to build a very competitive program over time. Let's be honest, it is going to take 3-5 years at least before we start talking about being top-tier in the Pac-12 but I think JS can get us there. Was there anyone out there that would be able to do it faster? If he succeeds, it will just build upon his status as an OSU legend. JS is a winner, has won everywhere he has been as a player and as a coach and I think he will eventually be one here at OSU.

I hear all the complaining about "why did it take so long? We had 7 weeks and this is what we got?" , etc... but the season just ended on Saturday and we have a coach on Weds. We had to wait until the season was over before we could do face to face interviews in most cases. Sure, there were unemployed or retread coaches out there we could have locked up sooner, but not waiting to speak to sitting coaches would have been a mistake. I am guessing we will eventually hear who else Barnes interviewed (besides Baldwin) and I am guessing he had talked to several people during the 7 weeks before the season ended, but I also feel that JS was sitting towards the top of that list from the beginning. Even if we talked with coaches like Les Miles or other big-name coaches, were they really interested or just getting their name out in the press for a higher profile while they looked for a bigger school. I never saw Miles coming here, I would rather have JS than Neuheisel, I was "Meh" on Graham... There were other coordinators that were mentioned but they also didn't have head coaching experience and were probably not learning from one of the best in Peterson (Stanford DC excluded...) so why not bring back a Legend and give him a shot. I will support him and cheer my but off for him to be a huge success.

Didn't read fucko

Didn't read fucko
    Thanks for responding to this thread, fucko!
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club
    edited November 2017
    What in the fuck?
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,480 Founders Club
    Swaye said:

What in the fucko?

Boovs are still so excited. I'm happy for them, but I'm 100x happier as a Husky fan.

http://bennyshouse.freeforums.net/thread/7544/first-jonathan-smith

Who can forget the long throw down field after losing his shoe and the famous/infamous two point try at the end to try and win it in regulation...

I was listening to that game on the radio with Darrell Aune and was going absolutely nuts. I recall sinking to the ground when the two point conversion failed.

I was there as the well-spoken, cerebral Nigel Burton broke up the pass in the end zone in front of Section 8.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,544 Standard Supporter
    JonathanSmithFS needs to tap into the strong Beav Nation alumni network to assist in recruiting.

edited November 2017

JonathanSmithFS needs to tap into the strong Beav Nation alumni network to assist in recruiting.

Nice Beaver!

Throbber, TYFYS.

We? can always count on you for quality poasts like this one.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,544 Standard Supporter

Nice Beaver!
    OSULibrarygirl.gif
    Unfortunately for Jonathan Smith, he seems to be quite asexual. Nothing would get his little peterman (tee hee) excited.
  • TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813

What does being top-tier mean to 99% of Boov fans who also buy their cereal in bags?

Why do you hate Yummy O's?
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Starting to sound as if deep down, Beaver fans fighting back shock and denial, fear they just hired another Paul Wulff