Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Wilner's Magnum Opus on Fixing Pac 12 Football Schedule/Product

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,948 Founders Club
Leads (some of which he's been harping on for a while):

- No more Friday night road games for teams that had a road trip the previous weekend (e.g., SC losing @ WSU; and WSU losing at CAL)

- No more road games against a home team coming off a bye (i.e., our loss to the illiterate ASU coach)

- Limit the # of night road games to the best extent possible given the contracts with ESPN / Fox.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/13/pac-12-football-needs-repair-heres-a-radical-solution/

Based on the way things have played out, none of the Pac's pre-season playoff hopefuls - i.e., UW, USC, Stanford, WSU (dark horse), etc. - look like legit top 4 teams (way too many flaws for each squad), but can't disagree with Wilner's argument here, that if the other Power 5's don't schedule "competitive disadvantage" games, neither should we.

Comments

• whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088

- No more Friday night road games for teams that had a road trip the previous weekend (e.g., SC losing @ WSU; and WSU losing at CAL)

- No more road games against a home team coming off a bye (i.e., our loss to the illiterate ASU coach)

- Limit the # of night road games to the best extent possible given the contracts with ESPN / Fox.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/13/pac-12-football-needs-repair-heres-a-radical-solution/

Based on the way things have played out, none of the Pac's pre-season playoff hopefuls - i.e., UW, USC, Stanford, WSU (dark horse), etc. - look like legit top 4 teams (way too many flaws for each squad), but can't disagree with Wilner's argument here, that if the other Power 5's don't schedule "competitive disadvantage" games, neither should we.

It's all utterly stupid. The simple solution is 8 team playoff.
    Five Power conference winners and 3 others based on committee selection.
    Problem basically solved. But then what would ESPN have to gab about.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,948 Founders Club
    whuggy said:

Better yet, 16 team FCS style playoff. It's either that or return to the old system. Everything in between sucks ass.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    I don’t care about the Thursday/Friday night games ... but you should have a full week in between games ... if that means a bye leading into the game so be it
  • BreadBread Member Posts: 4,011
    whuggy said:

let's have Larry Scott make the change we want. conference championship gmae is not enough. we need a conference championship playoff and need to expand to 16. right now we can do an 8 game play off once we get to 16 it will be better. can't leave out a 16 win team from the national playoffs.
  • animateanimate Member Posts: 4,236
    64 game playoff!

there can only be one!
    Bread said:

whuggy said:

let's have Larry Scott make the change we want. conference championship gmae is not enough. we need a conference championship playoff and need to expand to 16. right now we can do an 8 game play off once we get to 16 it will be better. can't leave out a 16 win team from the national playoffs.
    Just can't ever see it going to 16. Lower levels can do it
    but not sure if they play a 12 game schedule to start with.
    16 puts you at an NFL season. More injuries will happen
    and "protect the kids" will be the cry.
    I'd go to 16 if they cut the schedule to 11 regular season
    and mandated every conference plays the same number of
    in conference games. Say 9 and schedule 2 decent out of
    conference. Fuck all this Montana, North Dakota BS. No
    one wants to pay to see that.