Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Thoughts on Defense

I just finished watching the game again. A few thoughts.

White Power - The white guys on D are good. Gaines, BBK, Tevis, and Bowman. O’Brien is the only one bringing them down. At least he is solid.

Tevis doesn’t get enough pub. He’s been really good.

We very rarely give up a big pass. A lot of teams have a similar philosophy to the ball in front, but few have the discipline and physicality to do it. All of the DB’s hit, especially Rapp, Turner, McIntosh, and Joyner.

Joyner is a stud. He plays well, but the very good and great ones carry themselves a certain type of way. I see that with Joyner.

Our third best coach on defense was a PAC 12 DC that was actually good. This has to be one of the best staffs in the country. Props to Peterman too for caring about having a dominant defense. I’ve said it before, but most offensive coaches often don’t.

It’s going to be a sad day when Lake leaves. I’m surprised somebody hasn’t made a serious run for Coach K. If the rumors of him wanting to stay a DC his whole career are accurate, we are fucking blessed.

TL,DR version: Our defense is great.

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,948 Founders Club
    Good chit man.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    edited November 2017
    if joyner keeps playing the way he is. we going to lose byron, miller, and joyner next year. jimmy no balls is a demigod
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
    You know where I love seeing Rapp? Near the LOS.

He is so fucking physical, amazing tackler, takes great angles.

Fully agree on Tevis. Really good football player. Big fan.
  • FKA_MousecopFKA_Mousecop Member Posts: 2,054

if joyner keeps playing the way he is. we going to lose byron, miller, and joyner next year. jimmy no balls is a demigod

Rapp and McIntosh gonna be gone too. Even thigh I doubt all of them leave, losing all 5 starting DBs would be crazy. Julius Irvin and Bryan Addison too scared of the depth that will likely be gone by their 2nd year.
  • LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member Posts: 13,300
    I hate Jonathan Smith for being an introvert but I love coach K for it, I wonder if Petersen was sick of getting his staff broken by coordinators leaving and chose two dudes that don’t have it in them.

Unfortunately smith will be great at OSU and we will miss him
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,110

The crazy thing is that I remember Boise fans talking shit about Lake.
    Yes. The trade of him for Heyward was considered by many to be the biggest coaching downgrade with the staff switch. Before hooking up with Petersen, Lake was a journeyman position coach for quite a few shitty teams (including Owen12)