Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Who won the Reformation?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,029 Founders Club
Chinteresting piece today in the NYT from Ross Douthat that the members of the History Higher Level Discussion Bored will appreciate. He reflects back on the 500th anniversary of Luther's 95 twatts. I don't agree with the counter-factual he poses that we might have ended up with basically the same economic and technological progress if there had never been the split in Western Christendom, but it's a good article none the less.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/01/opinion/protestant-reformation.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/opinion&action=click&contentCollection=opinion&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=8&pgtype=sectionfront

Comments

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Luther never had to face a ranked Oregon State team.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,029 Founders Club

Luther never had to face a ranked Oregon Portland State team.

True. The Vikings were already Christians by then.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Your thread has aids
    AZDuck said:

Your thread has aids

From the OP or it later became infected with HIV?

• AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    You. Your link is so long it made the thread unreadable. Is tinylink still a thing?
    AZDuck said:

You. Your link is so long it made the thread unreadable. Is tinylink still a thing?

Well, fer fuck's same, man, I don't make the links. That's on the bozos at the NYT.

All that being said Jake Browning sucks it still takes you to the right place and a higher level history bored member like yourself should appreciate the subject matter.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    Meh....

As much as He tried, Reggie still ended up getting his Targa BACK.

• KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    AZDuck said:

Sounds like the Duck needs to upgrade from the Moto Razr.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,860
    salemcoog said:

AZDuck said:

Sounds like the Duck needs to upgrade from the Moto Razr.
    Everything was a downgrade from the razr
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

I blame King Philip and the French (because they suck). If they hadn't fucked over The Templars they would have beheaded Luther for heresy quick. Then I wouldn't have to see Baptist churches every two miles on every road in the Souff. Fucking French.

Were you watching The Da Vinci Code last month with CLS over a pot of chocolate fondue @Swaye ?
    I read Holy Blood Holy Grail years ago on a mid east deployment. I still think Brown ripped them off, even though he won the lawsuit. But to answer your question, yes.
    We're building bridges man! I read that same book.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

I blame King Philip and the French (because they suck). If they hadn't fucked over The Templars they would have beheaded Luther for heresy quick. Then I wouldn't have to see Baptist churches every two miles on every road in the Souff. Fucking French.

Were you watching The Da Vinci Code last month with CLS over a pot of chocolate fondue @Swaye ?
    I read Holy Blood Holy Grail years ago on a mid east deployment. I still think Brown ripped them off, even though he won the lawsuit. But to answer your question, yes.
    I actually loved that book. One of my favorites of all time. Never knew exactly how much of it was true, but super interesting.
    Swaye said:

Swaye said:

Swaye said:

I actually loved that book. One of my favorites of all time. Never knew exactly how much of it was true, but super interesting.
    Definitely a more in the genre of conspiracy theory/pseudo history, but a fun rabbit hole to go down none-the-less. All the being said Jake Browning sucks the Bible is not a history book either.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,660 Founders Club
    Luther's greatest contribution from a Christian perspective was putting the Bible in the language of the various countries making it more of the populist religion we see today rather than the top down Latin that nobody could understand Catholics

Then the Krauts developed the printing press
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club