Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Cluster Fuck With 4 Teams Likely To Finish Undefeated

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
If Florida State gets past Miami this weekend (and they will), the only somewhat tough game they have left is against Florida. They probably have a 90-95% chance of going undefeated.

Alabama still has to play LSU and Auburn, but most likely will win both of those. They are easily better than those teams. Another likely undefeated team.

Ohio State is not losing in the dreckfest that is the Big 10. I don't think they are that good, but the only tough game left is against Michigan. There is another undefeated team.

If Oregon gets past Stanford (90% chance they do), they aren't losing.

Baylor will probably lose a game or two, but they have an outside chance at being undefeated as well.

For the first time since Auburn in 2003, an undefeated team is going to get the shaft. The scheduling and the BCS have really watered down college football. Why the fuck can't there be super conferences and a play off? I used to love college football and thought nothing could compare, but the NFL has been a superior product the past 5 or so years. The BCS has always been shit, but college football is really failing under Emmert. They are going to look really bad when there are four undefeated teams at the end of the year.

Comments

• The NFL has never been a superior product.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited October 2013

The NFL has never been a superior product.

Disagree. The scheduling of FCS teams and other cupcakes have diluted college football. Not to mention the air raid and other pussy offenses. It's tough to watch that shit. The NFL is much more competitive. A game between two top 10 college football teams is tough to beat, but if we are watching two average teams play, I will easily take the NFL every time.

• dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    the difference with NFL and college is in the NFL a TD or a FG feels like a big play, in college it's just another one of the gazillion of them that will be scored during that game.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,662 Founders Club
    edited October 2013
    When they went from 11 to 12 games about seven? years ago, a lot of conferences ( not just the SEC) stayed with the eight game schedule, and everyone just added a p**** team. That's one of the factors. Another is all the conference realignment b*******. It's disconcerting. It might not directly relate to scheduling but it pisses most people off. MIsery Has no business being in the SEC. West Virginia has even less of a place in the big 12. State University of New Jersey Has no f****** place in the Big Ten and neither does Nebraska. You get the idea.

I also think the demise of the independents from 1990 on has hurt. You don't see good games like St Penn/ Bammer, St Penn/Pitt, ND/many teams, Miami, FSU etc.

To me it was cooler to see Miami play San Diego State Or Arizona fantasy Miami play Fake Forest In front of 35,000 people At Dolphin Robbie landshark Sun Distrust Stadium. Sorry, I'm going off on a rant in my stream of consciousness way again.

I'm with you Road Dawg.
    CFB was awesome up until the Mid 2000's. Greed and short sightedness***** everything up just like it did with America in general.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133

If Florida State gets past Miami this weekend (and they will), the only somewhat tough game they have left is against Florida. They probably have a 90-95% chance of going undefeated.

Alabama still has to play LSU and Auburn, but most likely will win both of those. They are easily better than those teams. Another likely undefeated team.

Ohio State is not losing in the dreckfest that is the Big 10. I don't think they are that good, but the only tough game left is against Michigan. There is another undefeated team.

Baylor will probably lose a game or two, but they have an outside chance at being undefeated as well.

For the first time since Auburn in 2003, an undefeated team is going to get the shaft. The scheduling and the BCS have really watered down college football. Why the fuck can't there be super conferences and a play off? I used to love college football and thought nothing could compare, but the NFL has been a superior product the past 5 or so years. The BCS has always been shit, but college football is really failing under Emmert. They are going to look really bad when there are four undefeated teams at the end of the year.

Quality post Road. However I don't see Baylor losing, and the playoff is shit too. It's going to be swell when there's 8 1-loss teams vying for 2 out of 4 spots
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,332

Quality post Road. However I don't see Baylor losing, and the playoff is shit too. It's going to be swell when there's 8 1-loss teams vying for 2 out of 4 spots
    8 one loss teams vying for 2 spots > 4 undefeated teams vying for 2 spots. At least with the one loss teams, you can always say win or GTFO.

Baylor's last 5 games are against Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, TCU, and Texas. They have not played one game as tough as any of those last five. They have a great offense, but one of these games, they won't play up to par, and their defense will get shredded. I don't think they have better than a 20% chance of going undefeated. They are still Baylor.

I agree about the playoff being shit.

• CanardCanard Member Posts: 504

The NFL has never been a superior product.

Disagree. The scheduling of FCS teams and other cupcakes have diluted college football. Not to mention the air raid and other pussy offenses. It's tough to watch that shit. The NFL is much more competitive. A game between two top 10 college football teams is tough to beat, but if we are watching two average teams play, I will easily take the NFL every time.

The NFL has been tragically diluted since 1976. NFL football was a much better on field product when there were only 24 teams. There may be 48 competent NFL caliber QBs out there, but there definitely aren't 64 of them to go at least two deep across all of the squads.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Baylor's last 5 games are against Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, TCU, and Texas. They have not played one game as tough as any of those last five. They have a great offense, but one of these games, they won't play up to par, and their defense will get shredded. I don't think they have better than a 20% chance of going undefeated. They are still Baylor.

I agree about the playoff being shit.

A four team playoff is much better than the two team playoff we've had for the last 15 years.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    edited October 2013
    College football will be almost unwatchable until they cut the bowl games and make the playoff 16 teams.

Starting next year the Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, and Cotton Bowls will never even remotely have the meaning they used to. Use them as a playoff site? Horrible idea, fans won't want to travel because their team might win and make it to a bigger game to drop all of their coin on. Does making the Rose Bowl mean anything when the four best teams are in a different system?

They will also be saying the 4th best team selected by a panel including folks like Condi Rice can win in a "play for the title" model, but the #5 team get no chance. It will be super awesome when Ty gets to place his vote. "1-11 NC state won the right way! I say we give them a chance!"

Bowls = Dumb
    BCS = Section14A
    4 Team Playoff and keeping the Bowls = Corky from Life Goes On
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Mosster47 said:

College football will be almost unwatchable until they cut the bowl games and make the playoff 16 teams.

Starting next year the Rose, Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, and Cotton Bowls will never even remotely have the meaning they used to. Use them as a playoff site? Horrible idea, fans won't want to travel because their team might win and make it to a bigger game to drop all of their coin on. Does making the Rose Bowl mean anything when the four best teams are in a different system?

They will also be saying the 4th best team selected by a panel including folks like Condi Rice can win in a "play for the title" model, but the #5 team get no chance,

Bowls = Dumb
    BCS = Section14A

Hi there. There will still be bowl games when the playoff is eventually expanded to 16 teams.

See the NIT, CBI, and CIT for details.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,130 Founders Club

When they went from 11 to 12 games about seven? years ago, a lot of conferences ( not just the SEC) stayed with the eight game schedule, and everyone just added a p**** team. That's one of the factors. Another is all the conference realignment b*******. It's disconcerting. It might not directly relate to scheduling but it pisses most people off. MIsery Has no business being in the SEC. West Virginia has even less of a place in the big 12. State University of New Jersey Has no f****** place in the Big Ten and neither does Nebraska. You get the idea.

I also think the demise of the independents from 1990 on has hurt. You don't see good games like St Penn/ Bammer, St Penn/Pitt, ND/many teams, Miami, FSU etc.

To me it was cooler to see Miami play San Diego State Or Arizona fantasy Miami play Fake Forest In front of 35,000 people At Dolphin Robbie landshark Sun Distrust Stadium. Sorry, I'm going off on a rant in my stream of consciousness way again.

I'm with you Road Dawg.
    CFB was awesome up until the Mid 2000's. Greed and short sightedness***** everything up just like it did with America in general.

Did PL_SS type this up for you?
    edited October 2013
    Mosster47 said:

They will also be saying the 4th best team selected by a panel including folks like Condi Rice can win in a "play for the title" model, but the #5 team get no chance. It will be super awesome when Ty gets to place his vote. "1-11 NC state won the right way! I say we give them a chance!"

Bowls = Dumb
    BCS = Section14A

Agree. The FCS has it right. 16 teams and nobody gives a fuck what 3 loss SEC team or Pac 12 team got cheated. Same goes for a 2 loss Boise State, Fresno State, or BYU. With the 4 team playoff, there will be 4-5 one loss teams for the last two spots, and there will be just as many complaints as there are now.

• TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    Fuck. I hate this time of year when every retard starts spouting "their" plan. Of course it can be done. Much rather hear about real solutions such as ones that would get school presidents to agree.

• greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,332
    edited October 2013
    It's all about the damn sponsorships. These companies pay so much money to the NCAA to sponsor the bowl games, that they aren't going anywhere. The NCAA is moving slowly, because they want to see if a 4 team playoff will hurt sponsorship value for bowl games. If not, then they'll expand it. If revenue from corporate bowl sponsorship falls, then fat chance of ever seeing an 8 team playoff. Unless of course, money from television rights for the playoffs exceed that of corporate sponsorships of the major bowl games.

Let's face it. The moment the playoffs go to 8, you will see the end of the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, and Orange Bowls as we know it.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246

Mosster47 said:

They will also be saying the 4th best team selected by a panel including folks like Condi Rice can win in a "play for the title" model, but the #5 team get no chance,

Bowls = Dumb
    BCS = Section14A

Hi there. There will still be bowl games when the playoff is eventually expanded to 16 teams.

See the NIT, CBI, and CIT for details.

Right, exactly my point. The bowls will have zero meaning at that point. Next year they will try to make a playoff and bowls having meaning. Awful.

• TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813

It's all about the damn sponsorships. These companies pay so much money to the NCAA to sponsor the bowl games, that they aren't going anywhere. The NCAA is moving slowly, because they want to see if a 4 team playoff will hurt sponsorship value for bowl games. If not, then they'll expand it. If revenue from corporate bowl sponsorship falls, then fat chance of ever seeing an 8 team playoff. Unless of course, money from television rights for the playoffs exceed that of corporate sponsorships of the major bowl games.

Let's face it. The moment the playoffs go to 8, you will see the end of the Rose, Fiesta, Sugar, and Orange Bowls as we know it.

Anyone under 30 has no idea what those are. Hell I see you have the Fiesta in there.....Cotton was king for years. I miss the old days but I agree just blow the fucker up because it's PLSS gay anymore.