Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

How far do you gun grabbers want to go?

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness will always be a balancing act- i.e., your rights end when you infringe upon mine. Right now, the scales are tilted way too far in favor of the right's of gun owners (legal and otherwise).

2011, 478,400 violent crimes involving a firearm.
    No solid numbers on firearm ownership, but call it 100,000,000 owners.
    478,400 / 100,000,000 == 0.47%.
    Bring in recidivism rates (~60%) as an arbitrary metric to remove a single "owner" committing multiple crimes in a year, and that comes down to around 0.20% of gun owners unlawfully chinfringing on another's rights.
    About the same odds of a high school football player making a NFL team.
    Don't disagree with your statistical analysis Grundle. 10,000 to 12,000 dying a year on average is still a yuge number and the stats aren't of much use for them. It's not anyone of is statistically likely to kill someone with our cars and yet 30,000 or so of us die a year in car accidents and we heavily regulate the transportation segment to try and save lives.
    Was responding solely to your value of infringed rights. Sadly, in a country as large as ours(?), death, mayhem and evil must be reduced to statistics and probabilities at some point. When something becomes a national policy discussion, it must be evaluated at a national scale.
    Agree.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,463
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    2001400ex said:

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness will always be a balancing act- i.e., your rights end when you infringe upon mine. Right now, the scales are tilted way too far in favor of the right's of gun owners (legal and otherwise).

Bring in recidivism rates (~60%) as an arbitrary metric to remove a single "owner" committing multiple crimes in a year, and that comes down to around 0.20% of gun owners unlawfully chinfringing on another's rights.
    Don't disagree with your statistical analysis Grundle. 10,000 to 12,000 dying a year on average is still a yuge number and the stats aren't of much use for them. It's not anyone of is statistically likely to kill someone with our cars and yet 30,000 or so of us die a year in car accidents and we heavily regulate the transportation segment to try and save lives.
    Imagine how many more car deaths there would be without airbags, seat belts, etc. Imagine how many more deaths from guns there would be if we allowed fully automatic weapons, you could buy guns anywhere, you could bring guns into bars, etc.
    You can buy an assault truck, Dodge Hellcat, huge pick-ups etc. Your car can go really fast much faster than you need to go. If we wanted to save lives in the auto industry we'd outlaw large assault trucks, vans and Semi's. All cars will need large airbags on the front sides and rear as well as bumpers that scrape the ground so you can't run anyone over. Passenger vehicles can have no more horsepower than required to do 5mph and hold no more than 2 people. That way fewer can die in accidents.

That will reduce vehicle deaths and assaults.

Still want to drive ?
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Imagine how many more car deaths there would be without airbags, seat belts, etc. Imagine how many more deaths from guns there would be if we allowed fully automatic weapons, you could buy guns anywhere, you could bring guns into bars, etc.
    You can buy an assault truck, Dodge Hellcat, huge pick-ups etc. Your car can go really fast much faster than you need to go. If we wanted to save lives in the auto industry we'd outlaw large assault trucks, vans and Semi's. All cars will need large airbags on the front sides and rear as well as bumpers that scrape the ground so you can't run anyone over. Passenger vehicles can have no more horsepower than required to do 5mph and hold no more than 2 people. That way fewer can die in accidents.

Still want to drive ?
    No one is saying we should have those equivalent restrictions on guns. Dumbass.
    edited October 2017
    2001400ex said:

Sledog said:

2001400ex said:

Still want to drive ?
    No one is saying we should have those equivalent restrictions on guns. Dumbass.
    Yes you are you dumbass!

All this we have to try crap is BS. Everything until now in the gun control world would stop homicides. None of it has worked. Yet you want more of the same shit that don't work. Because we have to try something.

You know what works? Putting criminals in jail and putting crazy people in mental hospitals. That's what works. 3 strikes worked and crime in Cali dropped hard. It's all but abandoned and 50,000 felons, many dangerous have been released from prison by the feel good left. Watch crime climb.

We used to have large mental hospitals where nuts were kept. Courts in the 60's said many weren't that crazy you have to let them go. Now those people walk the streets and do indeed snap. It would be interesting to see how many prescriptions there are for the heavy anti-psychotic drugs for non hospitalized nuts there are.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 100,680
    Swaye's Wigwam
    And the gun grabbers were out before the bodies cooled
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,480
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

In the UK in 2016, there were 5864 of "gun crime." I don't know if their definitions are the same as BJS, but let's say they're close. There are 735,000 registered gun owners in the UK.
    ( (5864 / 735000) = 0.79%) - 60% recidivism) ) == 0.31%, 60% higher than the same math as for the US.

2001400ex said:

In the UK in 2016, there were 5864 of "gun crime." I don't know if their definitions are the same as BJS, but let's say they're close. There are 735,000 registered gun owners in the UK.
    ( (5864 / 735000) = 0.79%) - 60% recidivism) ) == 0.31%, 60% higher than the same math as for the US.
    A more meaningful stat is the number of gun deaths compared to total population. Not compared to the number of guns. Which is posted somewhere here the last couple days and destroys your argument.
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

A more meaningful stat is the number of gun deaths compared to total population. Not compared to the number of guns. Which is posted somewhere here the last couple days and destroys your argument.
    Number of guns? Who gives a shit about that. And I made no argument. Read.

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Sorry. Number of gun owners. And your argument was implied.
    Standard Supporter
    2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Those scribbled out ratios put legally exercised gun ownership rights in context of illegal acts against others by use of a firearm. In the US, that is between 0.002 and 0.0047 incidences of firearm violence per admitted gun owner, annually. In the UK—though not a right but a privilege of Her Majesty's subjects, there are between 0.0031 and 0.0079 incidences per registered gun owner.

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

2001400ex said:

Those scribbled out ratios put legally exercised gun ownership rights in context of illegal acts against others by use of a firearm. In the US, that is between 0.002 and 0.0047 incidences of firearm violence per admitted gun owner, annually. In the UK—though not a right but a privilege of Her Majesty's subjects, there are between 0.0031 and 0.0079 incidences per registered gun owner.
    So you are saying America needs more guns. Because the rate of gun deaths is lower per gun owner. But yet, you don't mention that the rate of gun deaths per capita is way higher in the US.
    AZDuck said:

Things are getting better. The pro-gun folks moved almost immediately from "this isn't the time to talk politics in the aftermath of a tragedy," to "nothing would help anyway" in less than 48 hours.

Hillary waited almost 30 seconds to say it was lucky he wasn't using a suppressor! No agenda there huh?
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

When it happens to you, it might as well be 10 million.
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited October 2017
    2001400ex said:

Imagine all the people living for today
    Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people living life in peace, you
    You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope some day you'll join us
    And the world will be as one
  • TurdBomberTurdBomber Member Posts: 19,735
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    doogie said:

2001400ex said:

Imagine all the people living for today
    Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people living life in peace, you
    You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope some day you'll join us
    And the world will be as one
    Fag.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    HuskyJW said:

HuskyJW said:

I would like to go on record as I am against cancer, diabetes, AIDS, child pornography, murder, domestic violence, road rage, jaywalking, heart attacks, forest fires, racism, bigotry, gun violence and general disobedience.

Classy post
    My dad is from North Platte.
    So is my father in law 2.0. Retired from the North Platte Railroad a few years back.
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,696
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic

Race, as always, you do a solid job of playing devil's advocate...

If by that you mean he's doing a solid job of pulling your dick, then yes.