Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Crossing State Lines

2»

Comments

• 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

So many FS libs and republicans on this bored jesus christ.

Care to throw your dog in the fight?
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    Ok, so zero examples.

This should definitely fix everything then.
    pawz said:

pawz said:

We shouldn't do anything

We elected the right President for the job.
    Yep. Obama made the perfect program.
    Pass a health care bill then pop off.
    That wasn't a health care bill, that was an ensure-payment bill.
    The point was that Obama did something.
    Do you remember the first time we fucked agreed on something? That the MedicalMafia and BigPharma exert an uber-monopoly over the system.

Most people got hood-winked by the pre-existing conditions clause. But what he did is he guaranteed payment for the monopoly.

Monopolies only benefit suppliers. Econ 101.

So it's almost like we have single-payer, but in a way more stupid and fucked up way than just going the full on single-payer route?
  • drogginsdroggins Member Posts: 804

pawz said:

We shouldn't do anything

We elected the right President for the job.
    Yep. Obama made the perfect program.
    Pass a health care bill then pop off.
    That wasn't a health care bill, that was an ensure-payment bill.
    The point was that Obama did something.
    Captain obvious claims water is wet.
    pawz said:

Mosster47 said:

So, Donnie is going to sign an EO allowing people to buy health insurance across state lines, which is the presumed fix to Obamacare by Conservatives.

Can we get a list of things that cost significantly less in the United States by crossing an imaginary line? You can't include tax differences and regional natural material scarcity. Neither of those will factor into health insurance.

Go!

I realize it doesn't do enough, but it's a fucking start to adding more competition to the market place.
    Does it? Essentially five companies own health insurance.

Do you really think crossing an imaginary line is going to make them lower their prices when they are already on both sides of the line?

Your horse come out of the gate and went left.
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club

You shouldn't involve yourself until you get off my healthcare policy.
  • section8section8 Member Posts: 1,581
    pawz said:

Mosster47 said:

So, Donnie is going to sign an EO allowing people to buy health insurance across state lines, which is the presumed fix to Obamacare by Conservatives.

Can we get a list of things that cost significantly less in the United States by crossing an imaginary line? You can't include tax differences and regional natural material scarcity. Neither of those will factor into health insurance.

Go!

I realize it doesn't do enough, but it's a fucking start to adding more competition to the market place.
    It’s legal in a some states now and no or at least few insurance companies bother. They don’t want to go to the trouble of setting up provider networks in areas that won’t generate much revenue.
    Swaye said:

You shouldn't involve yourself until you get off my healthcare policy.
    You have IHS. So really you are on my policy.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    edited September 2017
    Seeing as how I know nothing about this topic
    “Health insurers already have the ability to sell insurance in multiple states as long as they comply with state consumer protection and licensing laws, which many already do,” said Mike Consedine, CEO of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, in a statement to POLITICO. “The NAIC has long been opposed to any attempt to reduce or preempt state authority or weaken consumer protections.”

Several states — including Wyoming, Maine and Georgia — have already tried allowing across-state sales, and it’s been a colossal bust. The chief reason: There’s been zero interest from insurers. That’s in part because creating competitive provider networks in states where they don’t have any current customers is incredibly difficult.

In addition, insurers in states with tough regulations are fearful of having to compete against out-of-state plans that don’t have to adhere to the same rules.

“My insurers here absolutely cringe when you talk about across-state sales,” said Washington Insurance Commissioner Mike Kreidler, a Democrat.

Kreidler said he didn't know how an executive order could ever be binding on a state. “I just can’t imagine it having that kind of impact. State law is going to supersede an executive order.”

Trump and other Republicans have long touted sales across state lines as a sure-fire way to bolster competition and drive down prices. The Affordable Care Act allows states to form compacts to test the concept.

But state insurance commissioners — even Republicans — health plans and consumer advocates warn that without strong federal standards, as currently exist with Obamacare, it would likely lead to a "race to the bottom" with insurers flocking to the states with the least stringent rules. Skeptics also worry that there wouldn’t be any accountability for insurers that engage in shoddy business practices if state regulations are stripped away.
    huh?

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/27/trump-executive-order-health-care-state-lines-243213
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,660 Founders Club
    Trump said yesterday that the dude who got shot was the vote they needed for the first repeal and replace. Saw this morning that he is BACK

I just had no idea it would be so soon
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,487 Standard Supporter
    I miss "getting across the state line" being a movie plot poont.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fekoumxXeBs
  • CirrhosisDawgCirrhosisDawg Member Posts: 6,390
    AZDuck said:

“Health insurers already have the ability to sell insurance in multiple states as long as they comply with state consumer protection and licensing laws, which many already do,” said Mike Consedine, CEO of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, in a statement to POLITICO. “The NAIC has long been opposed to any attempt to reduce or preempt state authority or weaken consumer protections.”

Several states — including Wyoming, Maine and Georgia — have already tried allowing across-state sales, and it’s been a colossal bust. The chief reason: There’s been zero interest from insurers. That’s in part because creating competitive provider networks in states where they don’t have any current customers is incredibly difficult.

In addition, insurers in states with tough regulations are fearful of having to compete against out-of-state plans that don’t have to adhere to the same rules.

“My insurers here absolutely cringe when you talk about across-state sales,” said Washington Insurance Commissioner Mike Kreidler, a Democrat.

Kreidler said he didn't know how an executive order could ever be binding on a state. “I just can’t imagine it having that kind of impact. State law is going to supersede an executive order.”

Trump and other Republicans have long touted sales across state lines as a sure-fire way to bolster competition and drive down prices. The Affordable Care Act allows states to form compacts to test the concept.

But state insurance commissioners — even Republicans — health plans and consumer advocates warn that without strong federal standards, as currently exist with Obamacare, it would likely lead to a "race to the bottom" with insurers flocking to the states with the least stringent rules. Skeptics also worry that there wouldn’t be any accountability for insurers that engage in shoddy business practices if state regulations are stripped away.
    huh?

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/27/trump-executive-order-health-care-state-lines-243213

I'm going to wait for @pawz to calculate the % cost savings and % increase in enrolled before commenting.

Good at maffs
    edited September 2017

I miss "getting across the state line" being a movie plot poont.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fekoumxXeBs

Great movie. Who doesn't want to personally own a tank?
    AZDuck said:

huh?

So what you're trying to say is it would probably be smart to have some sort of baseline healthcare across the entire country with the option for private insurance if someone were so inclined?

No, that sounds like death panels.