Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Jeremiah Martin, 2018 4* BUCK, San Bernardino (Cajon), CA (OFFERED 9/27)

Comments

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

Unpopular opinion: Don't want.

I am more excited about the Texas Tech WR transfer than a guy who's had three years to try doing something on the field but hasn't. If he had more than two years of eligibility remaining, I might be for it, but this is going to be a take that we regret in a few years. I know "We're Full°" is the joke around here, but, like all good jokes, there's a little truth behind it. There's room to take Martin now, but it's going to seem awfully stupid having him on the roster next year as a senior 3rd stringer and watching a 12 man class come in.

Martin, as a third year player, was the backup at edge, mostly dropping into zone coverage on his side of the field. When the starter went down with injury, they trusted him so much that, instead of bumping him up, they shuffled the whole defense around, moved the guy from the other side over, and played a different base defense. With both of those guys back, he was looking at being 3rd string as a junior (a fourth year junior thanks to COVID '20).

This is A&M's Amandre Williams or Myles Rice. And We're Full°.

And, frankly, I can look past a guy shitting on Washington to go chase an SEC bag if he's going to come in and make a difference (Toot Toot), but if not, you made your bed, so go sleep in it. And fuck yourself.

Imagine thinking he's still going to be here next year.

Come on man, get with the portal tims!
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,308
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So let me unpack the logic here:

1.) Washington can develop players, but A&M can't. Which is to say A&M just rolls the best athlete out on the field. This is why Martin can suck there but be good here, so we should want him.

2.) We want Martin with two years of "development" time remaining over some 18 year old MWC kid with five years to develop.

I'm now going to hold my breath until one of you guys figures out why these two arguments are logically contradictory.

Ah, fuck it, I don't want to die: If Martin is so physically talented that we should want him over the "MWC guy," why is he third on the depth (sounds like it was going to get worse with the younger guys coming in, too) on a team that doesn't develop and just rolls out the most talented guy at each position?

And if Washington's relative development prowess is their advantage, why take a guy who has little time left to develop vs. a guy with five years of potential?

Including the '21 class, there are eight scholarship OLB and nine ILB (some with flexibility) on the roster. In '22 the OLB will drop by at least two, but add whoever they bring in that class. Those numbers are juuuust fine. I'll take a '22 OLB with five years to play over a '22 senior who hasn't done shit.

And I don't mind at all giving that scholarship to a walk-on. Typically, walk-ons get scholarships when they earn it on the field. Eleven times out of ten, I take Ulofoshio or Bowman or the starting field goal kicker over A&M's third string junior.

This kind of TBS ball-gargling has 8-5 written all over it. Earn it on the fucking field. This guy didn't; an under-the-radar '22 kid (if that's what it would end up being) at least might.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,795
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    I’m hearing that Kyler Murray sucks because he got benched at A&M!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited February 2021

As a junior? And was he third string and looking like dropping further?

This isn't Kyler Murray, this is Tate Martell.

Edit: Also, Murray didn't get benched. It was the opposite. As a true freshman, he beat out the starter late in the season to finish the season out as the starter. He posted pretty good numbers in three starts as a true freshman. He did shit on the fucking field.
  • Options

Edit: Also, Murray didn't get benched. It was the opposite. As a true freshman, he beat out the starter late in the season to finish the season out as the starter. He posted pretty good numbers in three starts as a true freshman. He did shit on the fucking field.
    I too hate adding big athletic guys to our DL depth! We should be giving those scholarships to walk-on DL instead!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

1.) Washington can develop players, but A&M can't. Which is to say A&M just rolls the best athlete out on the field. This is why Martin can suck there but be good here, so we should want him.

2.) We want Martin with two years of "development" time remaining over some 18 year old MWC kid with five years to develop.

I'm now going to hold my breath until one of you guys figures out why these two arguments are logically contradictory.

Ah, fuck it, I don't want to die: If Martin is so physically talented that we should want him over the "MWC guy," why is he third on the depth (sounds like it was going to get worse with the younger guys coming in, too) on a team that doesn't develop and just rolls out the most talented guy at each position?

And if Washington's relative development prowess is their advantage, why take a guy who has little time left to develop vs. a guy with five years of potential?

Including the '21 class, there are eight scholarship OLB and nine ILB (some with flexibility) on the roster. In '22 the OLB will drop by at least two, but add whoever they bring in that class. Those numbers are juuuust fine. I'll take a '22 OLB with five years to play over a '22 senior who hasn't done shit.

And I don't mind at all giving that scholarship to a walk-on. Typically, walk-ons get scholarships when they earn it on the field. Eleven times out of ten, I take Ulofoshio or Bowman or the starting field goal kicker over A&M's third string junior.

This kind of TBS ball-gargling has 8-5 written all over it. Earn it on the fucking field. This guy didn't; an under-the-radar '22 kid (if that's what it would end up being) at least might.

First of all, to clarify, Martin should have three years of eligibility left given the covid freebie.

Also your take here is just dumb.

1) No one is making this assumption. No one is making any assumptions. What has been borne out time and time again is that some players simply excel with a change of scenery. Amandre Williams and Bryce Sterk are actually good examples of that as they went on and had good careers at MSU. Or look at Milo Eifler if you want a P5 example. There's plenty of precedent of high-ceiling players sucking at their first school and going on to find success elsewhere.

2) We don't want Martin "over" any one player. Your "I take Ulofoshio/Bowman over Martin" example is exceedingly stupid since that's not the tradeoff. I'd also take Jeremiah Martin over Draco Bynum. Which is an equally stupid comparison because it's also not the tradeoff. What matters is that we have the room so fucking get him in. Worry about the numbers later. Not to mention that the numbers appear to be even less of a concern in Jimmy Lake's program since we seemingly don't ever hit the 85 limit anyways without gifting a scholarship to a walk-on.

To answer both of your points, I was responding directly to posts in this thread. Don't make me go back and quote. Somebody said A&M sucks at development, somebody else said the scholarship will just go to a walk-on (with a negative connotation), many pointed to it being good for "depth" in a position room with eight scholarship players for two spots on the field.

Martin has three years to play two. He has two years of eligibility left. He played in '18, '19, and the '20 freebie. Didn't do shit. Balls being gargled because he was a BDTW.com legend. You'd take him over Draco Bynum even though they have an identical resume? Interesting.

There are open scholarships now, but there won't be the next two years if you want anywhere near full classes. The COVID freebie is going to fuck every team in the country with the 85 man limit. Bringing in a depth player now at a pretty stocked position is a horrible tradeoff for future class size.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I too hate adding big athletic guys to our DL depth! We should be giving those scholarships to walk-on DL instead!
    Yes. We should be giving that scholarship to a starter instead of a guy who rides the pine. I agree.
  • Options

First of all, to clarify, Martin should have three years of eligibility left given the covid freebie.

1) No one is making this assumption. No one is making any assumptions. What has been borne out time and time again is that some players simply excel with a change of scenery. Amandre Williams and Bryce Sterk are actually good examples of that as they went on and had good careers at MSU. Or look at Milo Eifler if you want a P5 example. There's plenty of precedent of high-ceiling players sucking at their first school and going on to find success elsewhere.

2) We don't want Martin "over" any one player. Your "I take Ulofoshio/Bowman over Martin" example is exceedingly stupid since that's not the tradeoff. I'd also take Jeremiah Martin over Draco Bynum. Which is an equally stupid comparison because it's also not the tradeoff. What matters is that we have the room so fucking get him in. Worry about the numbers later. Not to mention that the numbers appear to be even less of a concern in Jimmy Lake's program since we seemingly don't ever hit the 85 limit anyways without gifting a scholarship to a walk-on.

To answer both of your points, I was responding directly to posts in this thread. Don't make me go back and quote. Somebody said A&M sucks at development, somebody else said the scholarship will just go to a walk-on (with a negative connotation), many pointed to it being good for "depth" in a position room with eight scholarship players for two spots on the field.

Martin has three years to play two. He has two years of eligibility left. He played in '18, '19, and the '20 freebie. Didn't do shit. Balls being gargled because he was a BDTW.com legend. You'd take him over Draco Bynum even though they have an identical resume? Interesting.

There are open scholarships now, but there won't be the next two years if you want anywhere near full classes. The COVID freebie is going to fuck every team in the country with the 85 man limit. Bringing in a depth player now at a pretty stocked position is a horrible tradeoff for future class size.
    Stocked position? Did we just not have 2 healthy OLB for the majority of the season or not?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Stocked position? Did we just not have 2 healthy OLB for the majority of the season or not?
    Not. At the worst point, there were four (the official roster says Lolohea was on the team in '20, which would make five, but I don't remember that being the case). Two were true freshman, so not ideal. Only one missed time to injury. One only missed time due to COVID. You plan on that being around forever? Every single one of them is back, has another year of experience (Smalls and McDonald both struggled a bit but were quite promising for freshman with no real spring), and you add Heims and Lolohea. It's as simple as this: For '21, there are eight scholarship OLB on the roster. Five of them have played more college defensive snaps than Martin.
  • Options
    sinceredawgsinceredawg Member Posts: 774
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    As a person who enthusiastically helped spread the Jeremiah Martin rumor... I have to now ask do we have any idea if it's Jeremiah Martin?
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,616
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Nobody is gargling his balls. Your entire argument is built around that and the assumption that taking Martin = not taking someone else. Not even the case at all. Not in the portal era. He's coming to UW to try out. If he's good enough he'll keep a spot.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Nobody is gargling his balls. Your entire argument is built around that and the assumption that taking Martin = not taking someone else. Not even the case at all. Not in the portal era. He's coming to UW to try out. If he's good enough he'll keep a spot.
    You cannot revoke a scholarship in the P12. He's here for two years if he wants, like it or not. So, yes, for two years, he's taking a spot. That's one player you could theoretically take in the '22 or '23 class (or, hell, '21) and develop into being a starter down the road.
  • Options
    sinceredawgsinceredawg Member Posts: 774
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

chuck said:

You cannot revoke a scholarship in the P12. He's here for two years if he wants, like it or not. So, yes, for two years, he's taking a spot. That's one player you could theoretically take in the '22 or '23 class (or, hell, '21) and develop into being a starter down the road.
    Which would feel outrageous except we weren't really planning on recruiting anymore anyway.