Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Couch view of Defense

godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,450 Founders Club
First the good:

DL: Between Vita, Greg, Jaylon and Levi when conference play starts and it's those 4 the majority of the time getting snaps, we will be fine.

Benning shows flashes, just has to work on consistency and being able to do it every down. Don't know if that happens this year or not. The other side is not Psalm bad, but they are all just guys

DB: Inexperienced, but by the end of the year will be just fine

Safety: Better against the run, adequate enough versus pass

Bad:

Our blitz packages were not successful and I don't recall a time when we even close to getting home with them.

Ugly:

LB Play. It is very very apparent that after Azeem, Bierria, and I will give you DJ Beavers once he gets back, the depth here is really thin and my 2nd biggest concern after OL. We have a ton of Jag's who are either too white, small, slow to compete against the elite teams, or have the physical tools (Rice, Warren, etc) but aren't ready as they are 3rd and 4th on the depth chart.

Comments

• CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    I thought our DBs looked fucking great. Granted it was Rutgers but I didn't really see a lot of inexperience. I can't stress enough that Keith Taylor was thrown to the ground on his coverage. Myles Bryant just missed on his.

DL I thought was good but I thought it was going to be way better. I expected to see Gaines, Vea, Jaylen, Levi, and Hawaii boy comstatntly in the backfield. They were pushed around here and there. I'm not very concerned about it like I am with Browning/O line but it could have been better and I think it will get a lot better.

Linebacker is my only sort of concern because our depth is average to below average. I thought BBK was ok, I think people were going overboard on him last night. He wasn't great but he didn't get trampled. Against good teams though he would get eaten alive. Thankfully we play 0 good teams this year until the Heart of Chicken Dallas Shishkabob bowl. Obviously our LBs will wreck at full strength.

I didnt walk away feeling nervous about our defense at all. They kept us in that game last night while Babushka and Brownsocks were trying to fuck us in the ass.
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,109
    Our DBs had 2 absolutely boners that kept them from bring "great". Both were mis-timings/falling down and resulted in TD passes.
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493

Our DBs had 2 absolutely boners that kept them from bring "great". Both were mis-timings/falling down and resulted in TD passes.

Keith Taylor was pretty much thrown to the ground. Agreed on Myles Bryant though, he just made a bad play.

I'm glad that shit happened to KT though. Do you want to know why year in and year out our defense can just throw guys in without missing much of a beat? Because Instead of beating teams by 40 with your starters playing every snap, he plays 2nd and 3rd stringers in situations where the game is pretty much over but there is still enough clock left where it feels like a real clutch situation.

Todd Graham made like 0 subs in his game and his defense already sucks. Imagine what it will be like when the guys after the ones who already blow come in? Christ!
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,110

Bryant should have had a pick-6, Taylor had an INT gift wrapped before he fell/was thrown down. Get one of those I don't think there is a question that the secondary played great.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

Bryant should have had a pick-6, Taylor had an INT gift wrapped before he fell/was thrown down. Get one of those I don't think there is a question that the secondary played great.
    It was a well thrown ball that Bryant tried to undercut and got burned a bit on ... I suspect that will happen a bit early in the year with some of our more inexperienced members of the secondary. I'm not particularly concerned with the play of our DBs ... by the end of the year we won't be able to tell much of a difference between this year's DBs and last year's.
  • SledogSledog Member Posts: 33,087 Standard Supporter
    edited September 2017
    DL-Starters played well anything below Gaines and Vea was not very good. Gaines with 2 batted down passes thought he was gonna haul the1in.
    Gaines closed holes down the line all night when the play want to him. Johnson a bit inconsistent but I think he'll improve. Potoae had trouble on end contain. Levi O. Had no push. Often driven back 2 and would turn for the tackle as the RB passed him resulting in 5-6 yards. Pulu same problem. Trouble containing outside all night. They did multiple of combos of players on the D line. Rutgers would run at the back ups almost every time. Of 2nds ere on the whole line they ran down their throat.

LB- We need Azeem! BBK with lots of tackles but 5+ downfield. Not closing on the play but waiting for it to reach him on many occasions. Bierria played decent saw him held several times. Potatoes O'Brian had a few good players but also struggled holding the outside. Did see any of the youngsters.

DB's - played a nice game I'm not worried about them.

We have to keep the starting D line on the field more. They've shown they can handle a lot of snaps.

Refs sucked. Blatant holding all night all along the line and often down field. The moon touchdown was stupid. Hard to miss that on the required review. Fire them or transfer to girls softball.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    Sledog said:

DL-Starters played well anything below Gaines and Vea was not very good. Gaines with 2 batted down passes thought he was gonna haul the1in.
    Gaines closed holes down the line all night when the play want to him. Johnson a bit inconsistent but I think he'll improve. Potoae had trouble on end contain. Levi O. Had no push. Often driven back 2 and would turn for the tackle as the RB passed him resulting in 5-6 yards. Pulu same problem. Trouble containing outside all night. They did multiple of combos of players on the D line. Rutgers would run at the back ups almost every time. Of 2nds ere on the whole line they ran down their throat.

LB- We need Azeem! BBK with lots of tackles but 5+ downfield. Not closing on the play but waiting for it to reach him on many occasions. Bierria played decent saw him held several times. Potatoes O'Brian had a few good players but also struggled holding the outside. Did see any of the youngsters.

DB's - played a nice game I'm not worried about them.

We have to keep the starting D line on the field more. They've shown they can handle a lot of snaps.

Refs sucked. Blatant holding all night all along the line and often down field. The moon touchdown was stupid. Hard to miss that on the required review. Fire them or transfer to girls softball.

There was at least 5 massive holds on Rutgers none of which were called.
    They were also borderline false starting all night
  • RedRocketRedRocket Member Posts: 1,527
    Tequilla said:

It was a well thrown ball that Bryant tried to undercut and got burned a bit on ... I suspect that will happen a bit early in the year with some of our more inexperienced members of the secondary. I'm not particularly concerned with the play of our DBs ... by the end of the year we won't be able to tell much of a difference between this year's DBs and last year's.
    The secondary will be good this year but last year they were elite. I'll be surprised if the secondary is elite this year. Murphy looked the part last night and Miller was pretty good last year so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. At best Miller and Murphy vs King and Jones is a wash but this is probably wishful thinking. Bryant is good but he's not Budda - he doesn't have the physical talent. I think we're going to miss Buddha the most. His ability to close in space was unreal.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    benning's hand technique is keeping him away from being a monster
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,357 Founders Club
    Our LBs behind the real deal starters are white hot garbage.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Rapp's playing the Budda role