Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

PM to old doogs

dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
As a 30-something doog I have some appreciation for Husky history but my strong memories really only goes back to 87 or so (I have vague memories before that, the oldest being oranges being thrown on the field NYD 85 but no recollection of the game itself). I feel like I know a good amount about the Dawgs of the 80s, pretty good about those in the 70s and even a little about the guys in the 60s. Before that I really don't know much outside of King McElhenny, Gloomy Gil, George Wilson and the original doog injury excuse against WE WANT BAMA.

So @TTJ's efforts to poont out the GOAT Dawgs at various jersey numbers made me look up Wilson's number (33) which lead me to find out we only ahve three numbers retired - Wilson,s Chuck Carroll's 2 and Roland Kirkby's 44.

I'm vaguely familiar with Carroll, maybe because there was news on him when they brought his number out of retirement for Kasen. But I know like zip, zero, stingy with dinero about Kirkby. I'm not sure I've even heard his name. A quick Google search says he shared a backfield with McElhenny and Schloredt, two guys I would consider UW legends.

So here's my querey for Race and our other HH lemon party eligibles: WTF is Roland Kirkby, and why is his number retired when McElhenny and Schloredt's aren't?

Comments

• haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam
    My guess is he played 5 different positions in the 1920's. Usually makes the P12 Network Top 15 list for your school.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    haie said:

My guess is he played 5 different positions in the 1920's. Usually makes the P12 Network Top 15 list for your school.

He played in the early fiddies
  • JaWarrenJaHookerJaWarrenJaHooker Member Posts: 2,030
    ty-Willingham-who? dot gif
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,371 Founders Club
    dnc said:

As a 30-something doog I have some appreciation for Husky history but my strong memories really only goes back to 87 or so (I have vague memories before that, the oldest being oranges being thrown on the field NYD 85 but no recollection of the game itself). I feel like I know a good amount about the Dawgs of the 80s, pretty good about those in the 70s and even a little about the guys in the 60s. Before that I really don't know much outside of King McElhenny, Gloomy Gil, George Wilson and the original doog injury excuse against WE WANT BAMA.

So @TTJ's efforts to poont out the GOAT Dawgs at various jersey numbers made me look up Wilson's number (33) which lead me to find out we only ahve three numbers retired - Wilson,s Chuck Carroll's 2 and Roland Kirkby's 44.

I'm vaguely familiar with Carroll, maybe because there was news on him when they brought his number out of retirement for Kasen. But I know like zip, zero, stingy with dinero about Kirkby. I'm not sure I've even heard his name. A quick Google search says he shared a backfield with McElhenny and Schloredt, two guys I would consider UW legends.

So here's my querey for Race and our other HH lemon party eligibles: WTF is Roland Kirkby, and why is his number retired when McElhenny and Schloredt's aren't?

I actually wondered that when I was 12 years old obsessing over the media guide.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,371 Founders Club
    dnc said:

He must have had incriminating photos of Harvey Cassil
  • ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    I know I am a legend on these boreds, but a little known fact is that in high school, the coach gave me and a teammate recruit tickets for some OCC game, like Utah St. Game was a wipeout, but I got to go back to the locker room after the game. We went up the tunnel and backstage, basically. We stood with the other recruits, but nobody paid the slightest attention to us. You never know how later in life, that is as close as you get to big time cfb... This was in the late 70s.
  • ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    my first memory of major Husky football though was Sixkiller
  • HuskyJWHuskyJW Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,335 Swaye's Wigwam

dnc said:

I actually wondered that when I was 12 years old obsessing over the media guide.
    The arrival of those media guides were like Christmas to me.
    I would read the whole thing cover to cover every week during our 3 hour drive to HS
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club
    Chuck Carroll became a politician I think. Was part of the old Seattle mob. I have no fucking clue who Rolando Kirkman is.

Chuck Carroll became a politician I think. Was part of the old Seattle mob. I have no fucking clue who Rolando Kirkman is.

Well that settles it, Kirkby is a fucking nobody. Anti professional athelete/anti half-blind guy bias ignored McElhenney and Schloredt and honored their shittier backfield mate instead.

I miss WASHINGTON, dammit
  • AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    My parents were in school at the same time as McElhenny, Heinrich, Kirkby, etc.. I'm old and they're really old.

My dad said Kirkby was a great all-around player, but he wasn't as big a star as the others.

People forget that Don Coryell was also on that team. People forget that.

Here is a little blurb I just found on Kirkby:
    Roland Kirkby (RB, 1948, 1949, 1950)

Roland Kirkby was one of the most underrated members of Washington’s fearsome foursome backfield in 1950. As a senior he was named to the Pacific Coast all-star team by a coaches’ poll. In 1950, Kirkby set a school record with three touchdown pass receptions, a record that has since been tied. In 1948, Kirkby was an honorable All-American as a sophomore.

As a member of a backfield comprised of Hugh McElhenny, Don Heinrich and Bill Early, Kirkby, known as "Rolicking Rol," gained 380 yards rushing, caught 28 passes for 473 yards and scored 8 TDs in the 1950 season, when he played on a team that may be the best to never have gone to a Rose Bowl; he was the best overall player on the team.

Kirkby was a tenth round draft choice of the Los Angeles Rams in 1951.

Kirby, number 44, is one of three Huskies to have had his number retired, joining Chuck Carroll and George Wilson in that regard.

Being the best overall player on a team dominated by Heinrich and McElhenny and having his number retired, both qualify Roland Kirkby as a Husky legend.
    AIRWOLF said:

My parents were in school at the same time as McElhenny, Heinrich, Kirkby, etc.. I'm old and they're really old.

My dad said Kirkby was a great all-around player, but he wasn't as big a star as the others.

People forget that Don Coryell was also on that team. People forget that.

Here is a little blurb I just found on Kirkby:

Roland Kirkby (RB, 1948, 1949, 1950)

Roland Kirkby was one of the most underrated members of Washington’s fearsome foursome backfield in 1950. As a senior he was named to the Pacific Coast all-star team by a coaches’ poll. In 1950, Kirkby set a school record with three touchdown pass receptions, a record that has since been tied. In 1948, Kirkby was an honorable All-American as a sophomore.

As a member of a backfield comprised of Hugh McElhenny, Don Heinrich and Bill Early, Kirkby, known as "Rolicking Rol," gained 380 yards rushing, caught 28 passes for 473 yards and scored 8 TDs in the 1950 season, when he played on a team that may be the best to never have gone to a Rose Bowl; he was the best overall player on the team.

Kirkby was a tenth round draft choice of the Los Angeles Rams in 1951.

Kirby, number 44, is one of three Huskies to have had his number retired, joining Chuck Carroll and George Wilson in that regard.

Being the best overall player on a team dominated by Heinrich and McElhenny and having his number retired, both qualify Roland Kirkby as a Husky legend.
    Tyfys
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club
    My dad always wanted to fire Owens so we could hire Coryell. Then St Louis and San Diego hired him
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,943 Founders Club

My dad always wanted to fire Owens so we could hire Coryell. Then St Louis and San Diego hired him

Why the fuck didn't we?? Coryell crushed it at San Diego State 104-19-2. Yes, even though I met Coryell several times as a youngster I had to Google the SDSU record and didn't realize he won so many game there.