Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Trump Bump

AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
Looks like I'm right and Sleddoog is wrong (again).

Shocking, I know.
Several business leaders have since resigned from his advisory councils and a White House official said plans for a council on infrastructure had been dropped.

These developments have dashed hopes for tax cuts and infrastructure spending, Trump campaign promises that fueled much of this year's gains in world stocks , emerging markets and commodities.

"Confidence that Trump's economic agenda will be implemented has waned in recent months. We did not emphasize Trump's declining support as a market factor (so far) because his base held. There are signs of it cracking," Mark Chandler at Brown Brothers Harriman told clients.
http://fortune.com/2017/08/18/world-stocks-fall-trump-agenda/

And the thing is, I'm not happy about economic bad news. But the acceleration in growth in the economy since January had been based on a belief that the Trump Administration would enact changes which would be good for companies' bottom lines.

To date, no structural change has been enacted by the Administration. We've been coasting on market confidence. Which was shaken this week, and that was reflected in equity performance.

Next week, who knows? After all-
Equities worldwide are still on track to end the week in the black, as fears have ebbed that the standoff between the U.S. and North Korea will lead to war.

Comments

• Options
    doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Equities no longer trade on market fundamentals.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,755
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited August 2017

AZDuck said:

Shocking, I know.

Several business leaders have since resigned from his advisory councils and a White House official said plans for a council on infrastructure had been dropped.

These developments have dashed hopes for tax cuts and infrastructure spending, Trump campaign promises that fueled much of this year's gains in world stocks , emerging markets and commodities.

"Confidence that Trump's economic agenda will be implemented has waned in recent months. We did not emphasize Trump's declining support as a market factor (so far) because his base held. There are signs of it cracking," Mark Chandler at Brown Brothers Harriman told clients.

And the thing is, I'm not happy about economic bad news. But the acceleration in growth in the economy since January had been based on a belief that the Trump Administration would enact changes which would be good for companies' bottom lines.

To date, no structural change has been enacted by the Administration. We've been coasting on market confidence. Which was shaken this week, and that was reflected in equity performance.

Equities worldwide are still on track to end the week in the black, as fears have ebbed that the standoff between the U.S. and North Korea will lead to war.
    You just want Trump to fail so Sled can be wrong.

LEARN HOW TO USE QUOTES!! HAHAHAHA!!
  • Options
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

These are the only Trump bumps IGAF about.

Why do you hate the First Lady?
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    Sledog will continue to fail miserably no matter what the economy does.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    doogie said:

Equities no longer trade on market fundamentals.

Agree. They haven't traded on fundamentals in a long time.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Too old.
  • Options
    @MikeDamone needs to take some remedial message bored courses
  • Options
    Dude61Dude61 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,227
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    GDP is currently growing at 3.8%, something that never happened under Obama. A GDP of 3.8% would tell me the underlying fundamentals of the economy are building. Trump has rolled back Obama regulations that hamper economic growth. Implying an economic plan won't be implemented just because some businessmen quit an executive panel is ridiculous.

The stock markets will correct as they are due, but it doesn't change the fact that underlying fundamentals are improving.
  • Options
    Dude61 said:

GDP is currently growing at 3.8%, something that never happened under Obama. A GDP of 3.8% would tell me the underlying fundamentals of the economy are building. Trump has rolled back Obama regulations that hamper economic growth. Implying an economic plan won't be implemented just because some businessmen quit an executive panel is ridiculous.

The stock markets will correct as they are due, but it doesn't change the fact that underlying fundamentals are improving.

Link?
  • Options
    doogie said:

Equities no longer trade on market fundamentals."

"And while you might not know it from today’s magnified headlines about war, terrorism, higher oil prices, and rising interest rates, the stock market message is one of reasonable hope, confidence, and optimism about the state of the world.”
    - Larry Kudlow, 2006

"The point of the story is even if Wall Street takes $200-300 billion in mortgage losses, as a result of loan markdowns, profitability is more than adequate to stem the tide and hold us.There ain’t no recession."
    - Larry Kudlow, 2007

http://www.nationalreview.com/kudlows-money-politics/2449/kudlow-101-there-aint-no-recession-larry-kudlow

Market fundamentals are everything, sorry. Confidence will only get you so far.

Goops love recessions.

• Options
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    doogie said:

Latest forecast: 3.8 percent — August 16, 2017

https://www.frbatlanta.org/cqer/research/gdpnow.aspx

Cool.

The only substance I've seen on this topic is @Dude61 (shocking, I know) who mentioned a lessening in regulations by the Trump Administration. I'll concede that.

Other than that, I haven't seen any direct action by the Administration to support economic growth beyond the exuberance of the markets that believe that he is going to pass substantial tax cuts. Many corporate interests are actually quite skeptical of Trump's determination to renegotiate trade deals, as many aspects of those deals have been quite good for corporate America.

As of now, unfulfilled promise, some reduction in regulation, and strong (in part inherited) economic fundamentals.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,782
    dnc said:

I only have two hands.
  • Options
    If you had a dollar and wanted to invest it expecting future gain, you would want a climate of rules in place that allow you to see a pathway to profit, yes?
  • Options
    SledogSledog Member Posts: 30,655
    AZDuck said:

Shocking, I know.

So you're saying fake news and the Democrat (communist) resistance, paid leakers and their paid riot squad has effected the market?

Imagine that!
  • Options
    RedRocketRedRocket Member Posts: 1,526
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Dude61 said:

GDP isn't growing at 3.8 you dumbass. Spend a few minutes researching this shit. Go to BEA's website and get the info from the source. It grew at 2.6% in Q2 of 2017 up from 1.2% in Q1. Higher growth rates were posted in 2015 and 2016.

• Options
    doogie said:

If you had a dollar and wanted to invest it expecting future gain, you would want a climate of rules in place that allow you to see a pathway to profit, yes?

I think that investment is a relatively small part of economic growth. People moving money around the economy does most of the hard work. Part of this is why Obama's and the EU's big fuckup with austerity has kept growth fairly modest, because they were in essence pushing on a rope in an economy with slack demand.

Freshwater solutions that rely on the supply side to work never have.

But no, I don't have a problem with getting rid of needless and wasteful regulation.