Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Poor/broke CWU trying to cobble together funds for stadium upgrades

13»

Comments

• doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Mosster47 said:

Mosster47 said:

also D3 schools are mostly very expensive private schools which don't have tax support. You are going to see a lot of white guys from rich families who, yes, would not be able to play elsewhere in college. But the deal is they are paying to play. Even so, a lot of schools like Linfield have ways to get quality athletes who are just too small to meet the profile of D1. D2 schools are usually "working class" or middle class kids who just don't meet the profile, again of D1. Face it, D1 recruits a certain type they deem suitable for the positions.

This is the last thing I will add to this because you don't know what you are talking about.

You even prove my point with this post above. D1 football coaches recruit football players. Low level schools recruit kids that want to play football. This isn't hard. One football player at the right position can shut down an entire offense of guys that want to play football or produce so much offense the other team has no chance.

An analogy; A guy with bumbly fingers that plays guitar 8 hours still won't be anywhere near Eddie Van Halen even when he has snorted an 8-ball of coke, smoked an ounce of weed, and chugged a pint of whiskey. One is a guitar player, the other is someone who likes to play guitar.

Go enjoy your mediocre at best football, but don't get confused about what you are watching.
    your mistake is that you lumped all schools past 1A as "lower level" -- you created a false split. Up above we ran that to its logical conclusion by splitting football into the good side 1) recent NFL MVPs in the Super Bowl, and 2) the bad, everybody else. Some of what you are saying no doubt is true -- but at the D3/NAIA level where they pay to play. You still have to deal with D2, 1-AA, as well as all of the D3/NAIA that really do take it seriously like Linfield. You are heavily biased by your life experiences. Common problem.
    I said 1-AA.

Speaking of Linfield, my 5'4" 175lb running back that I played with in high school was a starter on one of the Linfield title teams. He wouldn't have gotten above JV on any metro school I have coached at.

I coached with a guy who was a starting LB one of Willamette's best teams and he wouldn't start at any good high school program.

You're absolutely right I have a bias from life experience. Having played against Troy Polamalu my entire youth, coached and coached against scores of D-1 players as well as some that made the NFL, working the Army AA Combine, Under Armor Western Regional Combine, The Opening, and being a consultant for a JUCO in AZ that is in the division that is full of D-1 players I know what a football player looks like.

I'm going to take what I know over you watching shit ball six times a year.
    Holy shit! your Taylor Barton
  • ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    doogie said:

Mosster47 said:

Mosster47 said:

also D3 schools are mostly very expensive private schools which don't have tax support. You are going to see a lot of white guys from rich families who, yes, would not be able to play elsewhere in college. But the deal is they are paying to play. Even so, a lot of schools like Linfield have ways to get quality athletes who are just too small to meet the profile of D1. D2 schools are usually "working class" or middle class kids who just don't meet the profile, again of D1. Face it, D1 recruits a certain type they deem suitable for the positions.

This is the last thing I will add to this because you don't know what you are talking about.

You even prove my point with this post above. D1 football coaches recruit football players. Low level schools recruit kids that want to play football. This isn't hard. One football player at the right position can shut down an entire offense of guys that want to play football or produce so much offense the other team has no chance.

An analogy; A guy with bumbly fingers that plays guitar 8 hours still won't be anywhere near Eddie Van Halen even when he has snorted an 8-ball of coke, smoked an ounce of weed, and chugged a pint of whiskey. One is a guitar player, the other is someone who likes to play guitar.

Go enjoy your mediocre at best football, but don't get confused about what you are watching.
    your mistake is that you lumped all schools past 1A as "lower level" -- you created a false split. Up above we ran that to its logical conclusion by splitting football into the good side 1) recent NFL MVPs in the Super Bowl, and 2) the bad, everybody else. Some of what you are saying no doubt is true -- but at the D3/NAIA level where they pay to play. You still have to deal with D2, 1-AA, as well as all of the D3/NAIA that really do take it seriously like Linfield. You are heavily biased by your life experiences. Common problem.
    I said 1-AA.

Speaking of Linfield, my 5'4" 175lb running back that I played with in high school was a starter on one of the Linfield title teams. He wouldn't have gotten above JV on any metro school I have coached at.

I coached with a guy who was a starting LB one of Willamette's best teams and he wouldn't start at any good high school program.

You're absolutely right I have a bias from life experience. Having played against Troy Polamalu my entire youth, coached and coached against scores of D-1 players as well as some that made the NFL, working the Army AA Combine, Under Armor Western Regional Combine, The Opening, and being a consultant for a JUCO in AZ that is in the division that is full of D-1 players I know what a football player looks like.

I'm going to take what I know over you watching shit ball six times a year.
    Holy shit! your Taylor Barton

* you're *
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493

I grant you some of your argument about D3/NAIA schools... but you guys all think too much in black and white terms, defining the good football players from the bad ones, the serious from the amateurs. But it's a dynamic system and a continuum, not a simple binary, black/white, good/bad, serious/amateur setup. It's a gross oversimplification of reality, but it helps you make decisions and judgments.

You specialize in overthinking... it is really simple. Good players get recruited to play D1. Central players suck. Maybe they have a player or two who could play on Tulsa or Chattanooga but overall it is a fucking dreckfest.

Again it's fine you like a shit product. You won't convince anyone it is any less shitty though.
    edited August 2017

I grant you some of your argument about D3/NAIA schools... but you guys all think too much in black and white terms, defining the good football players from the bad ones, the serious from the amateurs. But it's a dynamic system and a continuum, not a simple binary, black/white, good/bad, serious/amateur setup. It's a gross oversimplification of reality, but it helps you make decisions and judgments.

You specialize in overthinking... it is really simple. Good players get recruited to play D1. Central players suck. Maybe they have a player or two who could play on Tulsa or Chattanooga but overall it is a fucking dreckfest.

Again it's fine you like a shit product. You won't convince anyone it is any less shitty though.
    It's not a product. You know, at PLU they celebrate even if they lose. The point for them is the whole teamwork and competition aspect. You are looking at it from your comsumer biased viewpoint. You should stick with pro ball
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246

It's not a product. You know, at PLU they celebrate even if they lose. The point for them is the whole teamwork and competition aspect. You are looking at it from your comsumer biased viewpoint. You should stick with pro ball
    So they're shitty the right way?
    Mosster47 said:

If shitty is several national championships.

You miss the whole point. It's possible to get disillusioned by modern big time college football. Maybe you don't like the games taking an hour longer due to all the commercial stoppages. Maybe you don't like hearing about UW World Class Physicians at earsplitting volume on the jumbotron. Maybe you distrust the people pulling the strings at Montlake? Of course lower levels do not have as much talent, but that does not make them talentless. It does, I suppose, if you want to be a bigot about it. I've always looked at this like big time cfb is like arena rock, your Eddie Van Halen, and the lower divisions like the club scene. It's just a different way of being a fan. You can both, of course. I go to a game a week, either Huskie or small college.
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246

Mosster47 said:

If shitty is several national championships.

You miss the whole point. It's possible to get disillusioned by modern big time college football. Maybe you don't like the games taking an hour longer due to all the commercial stoppages. Maybe you don't like hearing about UW World Class Physicians at earsplitting volume on the jumbotron. Maybe you distrust the people pulling the strings at Montlake? Of course lower levels do not have as much talent, but that does not make them talentless. It does, I suppose, if you want to be a bigot about it. I've always looked at this like big time cfb is like arena rock, your Eddie Van Halen, and the lower divisions like the club scene. It's just a different way of being a fan. You can both, of course. I go to a game a week, either Huskie or small college.
    TFYS
  • rustysavagerustysavage Member Posts: 942
    You guys are all total assholes.

That said, I was at Western Oregon (not playing football) and remember Kevin Boss. Small town guy who slipped thru the cracks and developed after high school. And he's far from the only one. Just only one I saw firsthand.

Mosster. Maybe calm down? We get it you have lots of experience and connects in football that have led you to the groundbreaking conclusion that D-1 is the only seriously talented level.

Maybe leave the poor bastard AOG alone and go coach your next D3 guy so you can talk shit about him next season, while you subconsciously convince yourself he isn't an athlete, and that youre someone Troy Polamalu remembers.