Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

My unofficial coaching wishlist

GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
In no particular order. Anyone who brings up someone without head coaching experience can DIAFF.

1. Tim DeRuyter
Current job: Head coach, Fresno State (15-4 record)

Positives:

-- Has an impressive history of turning around defenses. As a DC, he took Air Force from 78th in total D to 10th. At A&M, he inherited the 104th ranked scoring defense and had them #21 two years later. At Ohio, 99th to 22nd. At Nevada 78th to 48th.
-- Has experience around a tier 1 program as an assistant (A&M)

Negatives:

-- He has only been a HC for 1.5 years, the jury may still very much be out.
-- Is an unknown with regards to recruiting

2. Jim Mora
Current job: Head coach, UCLA (14-6 record)
Other HC experience: Atlanta Falcons (26-22), Seattle Seahawks (5-11)

Positives:

-- NFL head coach experience
-- Proven recruiter, emphasizes OL recruiting (thank fucking god)
-- Played and coached at UW during its glory years
-- Has openly expressed love for the University of Washington, including a declaration that despite coming off an 11-5 season, 1st place NFC East finish and NFC Championship Game Runner up, that he would leave his Atlanta Falcons team for the UW.

Negatives:

-- Despite positive early returns, he still has not been a coach at the CFB level for very long.
--Would he feel (A) a tinge of loyalty to UCLA for giving him his chance and (B) a tinge of animosity towards his alma mater for completely shitting the bed in 2007/2008?

3. Craig Bohl
Current job: Head coach, North Dakota State (96-32 record)

Positives:

-- Quietly has had an extremely impressive Tressel-esque FCS run, winning two national titles in 2011 and 2012. He hasn’t lost yet this year either.
-- Has experience around a tier 1 program as an assistant (Nebraska)
-- His teams are renowned for their line play and fundamentals.

Negatives:

-- Age (55), I don’t think that is particularly old but many are already grumbling about this. How many coaches stay 10+ years anyway? It’s rare.
-- Has expressed fondness for Nebraska job
-- Is a recruiting unknown

4. Bobby Petrino
Current job: Head coach, Western Kentucky (4-3 record)
Other HC experience: Louisville(41-9), Arkansas (34-17), Atlanta Falcons (3-10)

Positives:

-- Proven winner. Has twice turned once-defunct programs into exciting, BCS-level teams in three year spans.
-- Proven recruiter.

Negatives:

-- Major off-field issues, including lying about a mistress and an attempt to cover up their motorcycle crash. Would the school that hired Ty fucking Willingham and doomed the school to damnation with a fourth year really hire this guy? The antithesis of Ty? I can dream though.
-- Job hopper, frightening lack of program loyalty.

5. Chuck Martin
Current job: Offensive Coordinator, Notre Dame
Other HC experience: DII Grand Valley State(74-7)

Positives:

-- Was a beast at the D2 level as a head coach, with a ridiculous 74-7 record, national championships in 2005 and 2006, national championship runner up in 2009. They never lost a regular season game between 2005-2009. Broke all time D2 record with 40 consecutive wins from 2005-2007. Winners win, fuck what level it’s at, right?.
-- His resume looks frighteningly similar to Tressel’s at Youngstown State, except better .
-- Also serves as recruiting coordinator at ND, has done a much better job than the previous two regimes there.

Negatives:

-- Is a fan of pussy pass-happy football.
-- Impact at ND as an assistant is very hard to judge because Brian Kelly is the de facto offensive coordinator, make no mistake about it.
-- Inherited a D2 program already at the top of the hierarchy, did not build it out of the darkness like, say, a Petrino or Saban had done. Gets credit for maintaining and even exceeding that level, but still…

6. Hugh Freeze

Current job: Head coach, Ole Miss (11-9 record)
Other HC experience: Arkansas State (10-2), Lambuth College (20-5)

Positives:

-- Has won impressively at two places with shit history and tradition, Ole Miss status trending upwards too.
-- Recruited the #5 nationally ranked recruiting class, probably with the help of corrupt, win-seeking boosters (hi DNC!).
-- His 1.5m salary at Ole Miss is lowballish, could possibly be had for the right money.

Negatives:

-- Been in the south his entire life.
-- Has stated several times that he is happy at Ole Miss.

7. LOL CHIP KELLY LOL

Current job: Head coach, Philidelphia Eagles (3-4 record)
Other HC experience: Oregon (46-7)

Positives:

-- I don’t know if this is a serious post or not, but all of you know the positives.
-- He will fail in the NFL as his offense isn’t sustainable against a 16+ game schedule and elite DL/LBs constantly hitting his RBs and QB a thousand times a game.
-- Would be a hilarious twist to our one-sided “rivalry” with Oregon.

Negatives:

-- ?

8. Kliff Kingsbury
Current job: Head coach, Texas Tech (7-0 record)

Positives:

-- Is a dreamy Ryan Gosling lookalike, ability to seduce recruit’s mothers a plus.
-- Hot name in CFB right now, that he has TTU undefeated is pretty damn amazing despite the schedule being relatively easy. If he beats Stoops next week people are going to lose their minds.
-- TTU is pretty far down the Texas totem pole, at UW he’d be the main man. 2.1m salary decent but not great.
-- Developed Keenum at Houston, was OC at A&M during Johnny Football 2012 season.

Negatives:

-- Extremely young at 33, definitely not a sure thing* at this time.
-- Recruiting unknown (and no doogs, being an energetic rah rah youngish coach does NOT automatically translate to recruiting success although it isn’t a bad sign by any means)
-- Has openly stated he loves being in the state of Texas.

*that’s what she said

Comments

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    It's a shame no one posts any football content here.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
  • Colonel_AngusColonel_Angus Member Posts: 49
    ESPN was reporting last night that USC is taking a hard look at DeRuyter.

The time is now.
  • dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    Deruyter is my #1, someone brought up Dan Quinn In a phone call, defense coach, likes Seattle, college coaching experience, bit of a pipe dream though
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Deruyter is a great coach, bad news for the rest of the conference if he ends up at USC.

• TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Sumlin

I'd love to see it, but why would he downgrade?

• SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,378 Founders Club
    This is a list I can get behind. Agree with Damone though, Sumlin should be on there, and in the top 5. Sure, he won't come here, but you at least put out feelers. If Chip Kelly is on there, Sumlin should be.

Also, as a point of order, I look at Petrino banging out hot mistresses as a plus.

Alison Melder > Erin Andrews

Allegedly.
  • Chip Kelly Negatives...

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

Sumlin

I'd love to see it, but why would he downgrade?

Racist
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    Kelly's real negative is the show cause.

Of course, since Sark will be our coach in 2014, Kelly in 2015 would be great.
  • T9ODawgT9ODawg Member Posts: 4
    dnc said:

I hope Sark isn't around next season!!!!
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,378 Founders Club
    T9ODawg said:

dnc said:

I hope Sark isn't around next season!!!!
    As previously discussed, hope is not working out too well for UW Football or the cuntry.
  • T9ODawgT9ODawg Member Posts: 4
    I'll change it to: I don't want him around next year.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,112 Founders Club
    dnc said:

I said that on the original podcast

dnc said:

I said that on the original podcast

what's a podcast?

T9ODawg said:

I'll change it to: I don't want him around next year.

None of us do. But what we want never seems to transpire.

• LanceUppercutLanceUppercut Member Posts: 23
    I remember screaming from the top of the Internet Hills (RIP) for the coogs to hire Bohl back in 2007.

Wulff worked out ok, though.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    Gladstone said:

In no particular order. Anyone who brings up someone without head coaching experience can DIAFF.

1. Tim DeRuyter
    Current job: Head coach, Fresno State (15-4 record)

Doing great at FSU and likes defense..... this is the guy we want.

2. Jim Mora
    Current job: Head coach, UCLA (14-6 record)
    Other HC experience: Atlanta Falcons (26-22), Seattle Seahawks (5-11)

Even if Junior would leave UCLA, anti-legacy UW clowns would never make this logical hire.

3. Craig Bohl
    Current job: Head coach, North Dakota State (96-32 record)

FCS success and age 55 probably not a good qualification for UW job, especially not for a cornhusker wannabe.

4. Bobby Petrino
    Current job: Head coach, Western Kentucky (4-3 record)
    Other HC experience: Louisville(41-9), Arkansas (34-17), Atlanta Falcons (3-10)

Got to be kidding! Smart in football and fucking stupid about personal life and conduct, 100 times worse than RN. Seattle media loves scandal and I'd rather see UW shut down Husky Football completely than take on this idiot.

5. Chuck Martin

Current job: Offensive Coordinator, Notre Dame
    Other HC experience: DII Grand Valley State(74-7)

How could we hire another Domer after the Tyrone disaster? And if we don't want to break the string of pussy pass-happy offensive intellectuals(Gilby, RN, and Sark), why not go for one of Mike Price's sons for cheap?

6. Hugh Freeze

Current job: Head coach, Ole Miss (11-9 record)
    Other HC experience: Arkansas State (10-2), Lambuth College (20-

Could be a good hire if he brings the Klan to deal with The Seattle Times. Seriously, why not go for a triple trade: Sark to Ole Miss and Freeze to Alabama for Saban to UW?

7. LOL CHIP KELLY LOL

Current job: Head coach, Philidelphia Eagles (3-4 record)
    Other HC experience: Oregon (46-7)

Only if Chip brings Lou Reed along to coach the Husky Marching Band.

8. Kliff Kingsbury

Current job: Head coach, Texas Tech (7-0 record)

Just another pussy pass-happy offensive genius. The State of Warshington isn't down-and-out enough in college football to need another Palouse Puke Spread offensive minded sodbuster. One Leach is one puke too many.

Thanks for the effort and your list of potential Sark replacements. It would be truly shocking if UW changed head football coaches, unless Sark manages to slump into a losing season........ in which case you have listed a couple of possibilities.

I'm beginning to think that what we're going to need in the next attempt at hiring a new head coach should Sark leave or get dumped will be an existing head coach who is presently proving himself at an FBS school in a BCS conference (Pac-12, SEC, Big-12, ACC, or Big Ten). If you want to speculate on viable candidates, look at current head coaches already having success in bigtime college football who might have connections in the West or outside the region or conference they're presently employed at.

With the new stadium and significant overpricing of tickets, it's time for the UW to get serious and step up with the big bucks to acquire a serious coach as other Pac-12 schools have done....... or stick with the mediocrity we already have and plug along with a partially empty new stadium.

As usual, the doogs are wrong about what gets collegiate football fans away from their other pleasures or pursuits on Saturday afternoons in the Fall. For us it's Husky Fever which I believe we've not really felt since the 2001 Rose Bowl. It can never be luxury suite ambience, the Zone, nor (gasp!) dare I say it.... tailgating, that can bring our fans back nor apparently will it be SarkBall.

• I really like that Fresno State coach. Been pumping him up all offseason.

Only thing that worries me about him is the Doogs like him too which is never a good sign.

Mora would be successful here and win a Rose Bowl. I don't think he could return us to the Don James level but he would be easily our best coach since James.

I think Bohl is a good choice too but if Nebraska sacks Pelini we have no shot at him.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,333
    My new prediction:

Sark finishes next year 6-6, gets fired before the Idaho potato bowl game, Wilcox gets promoted to interim coach. He leads a masterful come from behind victory over Air Force. This gives Wilcox praise from upper elites for saving the season, and keeping the winning season streak alive. UW has a pretend interview with a minority candidate to show that UW is classy like that, and 35 minutes later, Wilcox is given the keys as full time head coach.

Justin Wilcox will be the UW head coach going into the 2015 season.