Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Seattle's war on landlords

Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,262 Swaye's Wigwam
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/seattle-landlords-must-give-voter-registration-info-to-new-renters-city-council-decides/

Isn't it required that every time you move you must update your address with the DOL? Seems like the logical point to disperse voter information...

Someone please tell me how all of the various recent landlord requirement laws enacted by the city council are actually net benefits to renters over the long term? Other main example being the 1st come, 1st serve application acceptance. Obvious effect here is that risk goes up for landlords who in turn are required to raise rents to cover risk which then further shrinks the pool of qualified applicants...

Comments

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,487 Standard Supporter
    Who the fuck are you?
  • doogiedoogie Member Posts: 15,072
    Don't rent your property out until the first applican't is the renter you want
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    Bob_C said:

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/seattle-landlords-must-give-voter-registration-info-to-new-renters-city-council-decides/

Isn't it required that every time you move you must update your address with the DOL? Seems like the logical point to disperse voter information...

Someone please tell me how all of the various recent landlord requirement laws enacted by the city council are actually net benefits to renters over the long term? Other main example being the 1st come, 1st serve application acceptance. Obvious effect here is that risk goes up for landlords who in turn are required to raise rents to cover risk which then further shrinks the pool of qualified applicants...

I'd just employ some Jewish lightning and the collect the ca$h and be done with it if I owned units in Seattle that are effected by this.
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,262 Swaye's Wigwam
    That's what is happening...Since landlords can no longer pick the best renters from a pool of applicants regardless of order applied, landlords are just increasing requirements in terms of income, credit scores and rents.

My question was how are all these requirements actually benefitting the people the SCC is claiming to want to protect? Increased regulatory risk will always get passed back to the consumer. Other alternative is for landlords to sell which further decreases supply or creates newer even higher rents.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,860
    Bob_C said:

That's what is happening...Since landlords can no longer pick the best renters from a pool of applicants regardless of order applied, landlords are just increasing requirements in terms of income, credit scores and rents.

My question was how are all these requirements actually benefitting the people the SCC is claiming to want to protect? Increased regulatory risk will always get passed back to the consumer. Other alternative is for landlords to sell which further decreases supply or creates newer even higher rents.

But think how many less feelings they will hurt!
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457
    pawz said:

Bob_C said:

STOP! LEAVE!

You are using logic. Not Hondo approved.
    Free pub!!!
  • Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246

Bob_C said:

But think how many less feelings they will hurt!
    Homeless and safe is way better than having a place to live while being offended.
    Bob_C said:

Kshama Sawant can pick renters better than any rent seeking capitalist can. Added bonus is, Sawant will choose renters to make Seattle Great Again, rather than for profits she can't tax.
  • KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,849
    doogie said:

Bob_C said:

Kshama Sawant can pick renters better than any rent seeking capitalist can. Added bonus is, Sawant will choose renters to make Seattle Great Again, rather than for profits she can't tax.
    I support Sheela Rajneeshi.
    look at the bright side; at least when she steals your shit to give to a starving child from India, she really means it.