Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Breaking - T's and P's not enough

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,019 Founders Club
Got a giggle out of Frum's quote here on T's and P's...

Like ancient villagers, Americans accept periodic plagues as a visitation from the gods, about which nothing can or should be done. The only permitted response is “thoughts and prayers”—certainly never rational action to reduce casualties in future. Even to open the discussion as to whether something might not be done violates the taboos of decency: How dare you politicize this completely unpredictable and uncontrollable event! It is as if gun violence were inscrutable to the mind of man, utterly beyond human control.
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/when-prayer-alone-does-not-suffice/530289/

Comments

• BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,028
    There was a t's&p's line thrown out in passing in the latest episode of Veep last Sunday. I laffed

Prayers are always useless. It's a human act to an imaginary friend that helps us think that we have some sort of power or control over events that we generally neither control nor understnad. In some cases intercessory prayer may actually be counterproductive, as people who know they're being prayed for think they're in bad shape, and thus have a higher stress/cortisol response that worsens their medical condition.
  • BearsWiinBearsWiin Member Posts: 5,028
    dnc said:

BearsWiin said:

There was a t's&p's line thrown out in passing in the latest episode of Veep last Sunday. I laffed

Prayers are always useless. It's a human act to an imaginary friend that helps us think that we have some sort of power or control over events that we generally neither control nor understnad. In some cases intercessory prayer may actually be counterproductive, as people who know they're being prayed for think they're in bad shape, and thus have a higher stress/cortisol response that worsens their medical condition.

You're in my prayers.
    *gurgle*
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    BearsWiin said:

dnc said:

BearsWiin said:

You're in my prayers.
    *gurgle*
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,641 Founders Club
    How we think has a big effect on how we live

#DeepThoughts
  • phineasphineas Member Posts: 4,732
    I agree with th OP. Just like when the earth warms up, those who can't adapt will die. Those who survive will thrive on the greenhouse gasses. Natural population control. Maybe I'm religious afterall