Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

30 for 30. Lakers/Celtics

2»

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,859
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Doogles said:

Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

No dog in the fight, but one of the finals games between the Lakers and Celtics was on ESPN classic a few days ago and it seriously looked like a JV game.

The way they dribbled, shot, moved was pretty archaic.

Not a hater, but besides magic it was pretty fucking ugly.

It's ok to say those teams would be like the 4th or 5th best in their conference in today's game.

The game was different then in terms of style and rules.

Those players are some of the best ever ... thinking they wouldn't adjust to today's style is foolish
    Crouch dribbling up and down the court isn't a style, it's insecurity from lack of skill.

95% of that era would be playing overseas today.
    Fuck. Take another hit.

When you knew were were going to have your head knocked off or someone forearm was planted firmly on your hip, the fundamentals were entirely different.

Let Dennis Johnson put a forearm shiver on Kyrie and Steph for 32 minutes per game - they sure as fuck wouldn't be playing the same way they do today.

In fact, Steph would be playing golf.

#fragile

• Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Doogles said:

Tequilla said:

Doogles said:

No dog in the fight, but one of the finals games between the Lakers and Celtics was on ESPN classic a few days ago and it seriously looked like a JV game.

The way they dribbled, shot, moved was pretty archaic.

Not a hater, but besides magic it was pretty fucking ugly.

It's ok to say those teams would be like the 4th or 5th best in their conference in today's game.

The game was different then in terms of style and rules.

Those players are some of the best ever ... thinking they wouldn't adjust to today's style is foolish
    Crouch dribbling up and down the court isn't a style, it's insecurity from lack of skill.

95% of that era would be playing overseas today.
    Are you saying the King of the Side Saddle dribble Gary Payton couldn't play today?

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I know the guys back then could play today. It was a different era though. Athletes have evolved. They get better. The older era looks like shit compared to today's.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,859
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

I always love the argument that old players can easily adapt to today's game, but somehow today's vastly superior athletes couldn't possibly bang with the old rules.

They'd learn to crouch and side straddle dribble.

They'd be fucked down low in the post but still...

• Options

I always love the argument that old players can easily adapt to today's game, but somehow today's vastly superior athletes couldn't possibly bang with the old rules.

They would definitely adjust ... but no question that the game was more physical then than it is today
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2017
    I'm surprised it took so long for the 3 pointer to be valued like it is. It really is simple math.

Larry Bird should have been shooting 6-8 three's a game, not 2-3.

A good player is a good player, in any era. Curry probably wouldn't be quite as good in the older era, but that's more because the old coaches and archaic thinking would stifle him. Guys back in the 80's weren't shooting three's off the dribble.
  • Options

I'm surprised it took so long for the 3 pointer to be valued like it is. It really is simple math.

A good player is a good player, in any era. Curry probably wouldn't be quite as good in the older era, but that's more because the old coaches and archaic thinking would stifle him. Guys back in the 80's weren't shooting three's off the dribble.

The way 3's are created today make them a far better shot because of the ball movement into the shot ... of course the amount that those shots are practiced helps a ton as well

Personally, I think that too many guys shoot 3's that shouldn't and there's a wide variety of shots that are effective that are gone from the game ...

The best offense to me is still getting an open shot each possession
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited July 2017
    Tequilla said:

The way 3's are created today make them a far better shot because of the ball movement into the shot ... of course the amount that those shots are practiced helps a ton as well

Personally, I think that too many guys shoot 3's that shouldn't and there's a wide variety of shots that are effective that are gone from the game ...

The best offense to me is still getting an open shot each possession
    Agreed. The best kind of shots to work for are the ones that go in.
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

Those teams wouldn't even make the playoffs in today's NBA.

With all the white guys and no hand checking the Celtics would have their work cut out for them.