Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

People forget

Comments

• Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye said:
    I NEEEED a rival.
  • Options
    UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,108
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Swaye said:
    I liked @Beelzebub vs @Swaye
    I hate that motherfucker with the burning intensity of a thousand suns. I also had a big Thunder Dome thing going with @Ballsacked ...take note neither of them are around anymore.

Cross me at your internet peril...you will be banished to the wilderness...

where I will find you....

with the help of my trusty steed.

Ded.
    Beezlebub calling you swizzy and talking shit was funny.
    Swizzy did make me chuckle. The rest of him gave me the runs.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Swaye said:

Swaye said:
    I liked @Beelzebub vs @Swaye
    I hate that motherfucker with the burning intensity of a thousand suns. I also had a big Thunder Dome thing going with @Ballsacked ...take note neither of them are around anymore.

Cross me at your internet peril...you will be banished to the wilderness...

where I will find you....

with the help of my trusty steed.

Ded.
    HRYN; the only worthy adversary around here for Swaye would be flea. That would be epic, like cowboys and indians epic, not in the millenial sense of the term.

of course, they all share one thing in common: they bow to the creep ... at least when they see him at the 7-11 on Aurora

near the U district. that one.
    Lucky for all concerned @dflea and I are Eskimo brothers. We fucked the same fish.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Swaye said:
    A HH boxing match behind 7-11 would be a great fundraiser.
    Billy Joe Hobart vs. Gino Toretta. Nuff said on that one.
    I don't really understand the reference but I'll be Billy Joe.
    The Dream Game

Would you believe it? Washington beat Miami in the battle of two No. 1's

The familiar voice of the TV analyst posed the inane question: "If you're Washington head coach Don James, do you go for two here?"

Every head in the press box turned to glare at the boob. Of course James would go for two—for a win over Miami, rather than a tie. That was the entire reason of this dream game in the desert: to unsplit the Associated Press and USA Today/CNN polls and to crown one true champion for the 1991 season.

And the Huskies won it like champions, 18-17, with a courageous, outrageous play call on the goal line as time ran out. "The game was everything I would have imagined," said Husky quarterback Billy Joe Hobert, gingerly fingering a 12-stitch gash under his chin, a first-quarter calling card left by Miami defensive end Rusty Medearis. "I'd like to congratulate the coaches in the USA Today/CNN poll for their prescience in naming us Number One, and the Hurricanes on a great season—12-1 is nothing to be ashamed of."

Hobert, more than anyone, had helped bring this game about. After the Huskies' 34-14 Rose Bowl win over Michigan on New Year's Day, the brash redshirt sophomore had expressed an interest in playing Miami, whose 22-0 shellacking of Nebraska in that day's Orange Bowl would earn the Hurricanes the No. 1 ranking in the AP poll. "I don't like sharing things," Hobert said. "Let's find a field somewhere and play it off."

Once SI determined that Hobert's feelings were shared by a majority of Hurricanes and Huskies, chartered jets were put at each team's disposal for the Poll Bowl or, as it was also promoted, the Fracas in the Cactus, because it was played in a temporary stadium erected behind the Mirage Hotel in Las Vegas.

By gametime, the Who's No. 1? arguments had taken on a my-dad's-stronger-than-your-dad tenor. Who had the better defense? The Hurricanes, who in whitewashing Nebraska had kept the Cornhuskers out of their territory for the game's first 26 minutes? Or the Huskies, who held mighty Michigan to nine first-half rushing yards and Heisman Trophy winner Desmond Howard to one catch?

The real surprise, when the teams finally met, was that the Hurricanes came up short on offense. The Huskies neutralized Larry Jones, the precocious Hurricane redshirt freshman fullback whose 144 yards rushing had made him the Orange Bowl MVP. Forced to throw, Miami quarterback Gino Torretta was hounded by the relentlessly blitzing Huskies. The sight of the scrambling Torretta, whose many virtues do not include mobility, recalled the flight of a beached sea lion.

To be sure, this is a gifted Hurricane offensive unit. The receivers—the Ruthless Posse is their collective moniker—are the best in the country. Senior tackle and future NFL starter Leon Searcy anchors an otherwise steady but unspectacular offensive line. With all that, there is something prodigal about this offense. Against the Huskies, Miami again squandered several scoring chances, as it had throughout the season, especially in eking out wins against Penn State, Florida State and—alarmingly—Boston College. The Hurricanes' touchdowns against Washington came on plays of 99 and 63 yards. Indeed, Miami was overreliant on the big play all season, consistently unable to mount long, clock-consuming drives. And it was prone to mindless penalties: Its 11 against Penn State and 12 in the Orange Bowl presaged the 17 it committed against the Huskies. In dropping half a dozen passes against Nebraska in the Orange Bowl, the Ruthless Posse seemed at times finger-less, as it did again in flubbing four more against Washington.

That the Hurricanes had a special teams edge in the Fracas became quickly apparent. Sophomore flanker Kevin Williams bobbled the opening kickoff on the Miami one, scooped up the ball, made two would-be Washington tacklers miss and accelerated to the far end zone as if being sucked into a vacuum. Unable to wait for Williams to return to the sideline to celebrate his touchdown, the Hurricanes crowded into the end zone, drawing the first of those 17 flags.

It was Miami's sole touchdown of a tortuous first half. That was because no team in the country blitzes as deceptively as the Huskies. As has been its custom for the past two seasons, Washington routinely put eight men on the line of scrimmage against the Hurricanes. Sometimes the Huskies rushed four defenders, sometimes six, and even eight. "If you insist on sending out too many receivers," said Washington defensive coordinator Jim Lambright in a this-is-going-to-hurt-me-more-than-it's-going-to-hurt-you tone, "you may lose your quarterback."

The Huskies, who did knock four quarterbacks out of games this season, did not injure Torretta, which is not to say they didn't get to him. He was sacked six times, took 20 or so hard shots and complained after the game of a ringing in his ears. One Washington rusher whom he came to know especially well was number 90, Steve Emtman, the All-America defensive tackle.....

So the Hurricanes boarded their bus, truculently refusing to talk to reporters and, most shocking, pretending that the game had never happened. They would claim that it had been nothing more than a mirage at the Mirage.

Can you imagine?
    We don't deal with hypotheticals around here.
    We? Sponsor the Off-Season Natty (TM)
  • Options
    rodmansragerodmansrage Member Posts: 6,022
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes

that we're still almost 6 months away from the start of the 2017 Huskies football season

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,744
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited June 2017
    dnc said:

Baseman said:

Baseman said:

Swaye said:
    A HH boxing match behind 7-11 would be a great fundraiser.
    Billy Joe Hobart vs. Gino Toretta. Nuff said on that one.
    I don't really understand the reference but I'll be Billy Joe.
    The Dream Game

Would you believe it? Washington beat Miami in the battle of two No. 1's

The familiar voice of the TV analyst posed the inane question: "If you're Washington head coach Don James, do you go for two here?"

Every head in the press box turned to glare at the boob. Of course James would go for two—for a win over Miami, rather than a tie. That was the entire reason of this dream game in the desert: to unsplit the Associated Press and USA Today/CNN polls and to crown one true champion for the 1991 season.

And the Huskies won it like champions, 18-17, with a courageous, outrageous play call on the goal line as time ran out. "The game was everything I would have imagined," said Husky quarterback Billy Joe Hobert, gingerly fingering a 12-stitch gash under his chin, a first-quarter calling card left by Miami defensive end Rusty Medearis. "I'd like to congratulate the coaches in the USA Today/CNN poll for their prescience in naming us Number One, and the Hurricanes on a great season—12-1 is nothing to be ashamed of."

Hobert, more than anyone, had helped bring this game about. After the Huskies' 34-14 Rose Bowl win over Michigan on New Year's Day, the brash redshirt sophomore had expressed an interest in playing Miami, whose 22-0 shellacking of Nebraska in that day's Orange Bowl would earn the Hurricanes the No. 1 ranking in the AP poll. "I don't like sharing things," Hobert said. "Let's find a field somewhere and play it off."

Once SI determined that Hobert's feelings were shared by a majority of Hurricanes and Huskies, chartered jets were put at each team's disposal for the Poll Bowl or, as it was also promoted, the Fracas in the Cactus, because it was played in a temporary stadium erected behind the Mirage Hotel in Las Vegas.

By gametime, the Who's No. 1? arguments had taken on a my-dad's-stronger-than-your-dad tenor. Who had the better defense? The Hurricanes, who in whitewashing Nebraska had kept the Cornhuskers out of their territory for the game's first 26 minutes? Or the Huskies, who held mighty Michigan to nine first-half rushing yards and Heisman Trophy winner Desmond Howard to one catch?

The real surprise, when the teams finally met, was that the Hurricanes came up short on offense. The Huskies neutralized Larry Jones, the precocious Hurricane redshirt freshman fullback whose 144 yards rushing had made him the Orange Bowl MVP. Forced to throw, Miami quarterback Gino Torretta was hounded by the relentlessly blitzing Huskies. The sight of the scrambling Torretta, whose many virtues do not include mobility, recalled the flight of a beached sea lion.

To be sure, this is a gifted Hurricane offensive unit. The receivers—the Ruthless Posse is their collective moniker—are the best in the country. Senior tackle and future NFL starter Leon Searcy anchors an otherwise steady but unspectacular offensive line. With all that, there is something prodigal about this offense. Against the Huskies, Miami again squandered several scoring chances, as it had throughout the season, especially in eking out wins against Penn State, Florida State and—alarmingly—Boston College. The Hurricanes' touchdowns against Washington came on plays of 99 and 63 yards. Indeed, Miami was overreliant on the big play all season, consistently unable to mount long, clock-consuming drives. And it was prone to mindless penalties: Its 11 against Penn State and 12 in the Orange Bowl presaged the 17 it committed against the Huskies. In dropping half a dozen passes against Nebraska in the Orange Bowl, the Ruthless Posse seemed at times finger-less, as it did again in flubbing four more against Washington.

That the Hurricanes had a special teams edge in the Fracas became quickly apparent. Sophomore flanker Kevin Williams bobbled the opening kickoff on the Miami one, scooped up the ball, made two would-be Washington tacklers miss and accelerated to the far end zone as if being sucked into a vacuum. Unable to wait for Williams to return to the sideline to celebrate his touchdown, the Hurricanes crowded into the end zone, drawing the first of those 17 flags.

It was Miami's sole touchdown of a tortuous first half. That was because no team in the country blitzes as deceptively as the Huskies. As has been its custom for the past two seasons, Washington routinely put eight men on the line of scrimmage against the Hurricanes. Sometimes the Huskies rushed four defenders, sometimes six, and even eight. "If you insist on sending out too many receivers," said Washington defensive coordinator Jim Lambright in a this-is-going-to-hurt-me-more-than-it's-going-to-hurt-you tone, "you may lose your quarterback."

The Huskies, who did knock four quarterbacks out of games this season, did not injure Torretta, which is not to say they didn't get to him. He was sacked six times, took 20 or so hard shots and complained after the game of a ringing in his ears. One Washington rusher whom he came to know especially well was number 90, Steve Emtman, the All-America defensive tackle.....

So the Hurricanes boarded their bus, truculently refusing to talk to reporters and, most shocking, pretending that the game had never happened. They would claim that it had been nothing more than a mirage at the Mirage.

Can you imagine?
    @creepycoug!!! true??
    No. Royotis used to shit all over the old boards. You don't see him anymore do you? He went where Damone went. In a heap pile of bodies behind the 7-11 on Aurora - the one near the U district.

I dismantled and dispatched him with a logical prowess few on these boards can even comprehend, and I'd do it now except that I have to go take a shit and the wifi in my baffroom sucks.

Let me say this: Beanno and Jay find out they can't get by the fastest and best trio of LBs they've seen in their silly little careers, Daryl Williams knocks the living shit out of all 5' 8" of Mario Bailey, who tried to be a tuff guy, which in turn scares the shit out of Orlando Bloom McKay, leaving the Camaro with one guy who still had his balls w/him - Aberdeen tuff and my boy, Mark Bruener (Aaron Pierce isn't available for the game because he stole another stereo and there's only so many chips DJ can spend with the King County Prosecutor). And though Bruener was valiant as a proud Bobcat should be, you just can't beat the Canes with your TE while the rest of your offense is shitting the bed.

Empterman can't get to Toretta fast enough to keep him from dumping off to Kevin Williams, who just kills Washington with underneath stuff, turning 8 yd. gainers into 20. Finally on their heels, Washington's pursuit isn't quite what it's been all season as they realize they're not playing Michigan,Toretta has more time, and we find out that nobody in Washington's backfield can cover Horace Copeland deep w/o help, creating other issues for rather pedestrian DBs, as history would go on to show.

In the final analysis, we find out precisely why Washington had to mount (yes) a 4th quarter come back to squeak by the same Nebraska team that Miami plungered. First team in 221 games to hold them scoreless, and even more compelling, holding Nebraska to one yard of total offense in the entire first quarter - Nebraska came into the game leading the NCAA in total offense.

Miami likely wins that game by two scores ... maybe three.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,744
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited June 2017
    dflea said:

I want no part of any brawling with Swaye. He's been found guilty of mayhem and shit.

basically, you never want to rumble with any dood who would wrap up the affair by bending you over and tell you he wants to be your back door man - in the Led Zepellin II sense of that term. you know, just in case he's tuffer than you.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,621
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    So the debate is finally over. The Canes' lopsided, end of season home win over a Husker team that had nothing to play for proves more than UW's early season road win, with a new QB, over a team with national championship aspirations. Got it. Debate settled.

Seriously though creepy cane makes some points. Our* offense and DBs would have struggled with their speed. At least in theory. The same was expected when a much weaker and slower (but also similar in many ways) UW team faced an also very similar Miami team on their home field a few years later.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,395
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

So the debate is finally over. The Canes' lopsided, end of season home win over a Husker team that had nothing to play for proves more than UW's early season road win, with a new QB, over a team with national championship aspirations. Got it. Debate settled.

Seriously though creepy cane makes some points. Our* offense and DBs would have struggled with their speed. At least in theory. The same was expected when a much weaker and slower (but also similar in many ways) UW team faced an also very similar Miami team on their home field a few years later.

All I know is that Vin Diesel beat up the Rock

Just like our DAWGS beat up the Canes. But we? had time to wear them down in 94 which was lucky because Huard played like shit in the first half.