Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Confidence in Sark is Gone

TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
edited October 2013 in Hardcore Husky Board
I've been realistic to realize that we needed to build up the talent level on our football team (which we have) and that as a first time head coach Sark would make mistakes as he learned on the job (and he has).

What I'm not ok with is not learning from your mistakes and doing the same stupid fucking shit over and over and fucking over.

It's not that we lost to Arizona State that has caused me to lose confidence in Sark - but it's HOW we lost to them.

1) It was clear as the 2nd quarter progressed that we needed to get to half as quickly as possible. That's fine. A good coach realizes that we're getting out played and does everything in his power to minimize the damage. A good coach gets us to half down 15-7. A good coach gets us in the locker room, makes adjustments, pulls the team together and gets them to give 30 solid minutes to pull out a win. A coach that doesn't fucking get it doubles down to try to catch up before half. A coach that doesn't fucking get it keeps running the same stupid fucking plays that are getting blown up time after time. A coach that doesn't fucking get it allows what should be an 8-14 point halftime deficit to be a 22 point deficit that essentially ends the game.

2) If you look at what Arizona State has done all year, they haven't stopped the run and moreover, haven't been able to run the ball. We needed to win the ground battle at least 2:1 today. To get outgained on the ground by over 300 yards? Are you fucking kidding me? If you can't at least make the trenches a push, then it doesn't matter how fucking talented your skill position players are.

3) Stupid fucking boneheaded mistakes. Kasen's fumble on the punt? What are you thinking? You just got a stop. The kick was shitty and gave you good field position. There wasn't a return there. Fair catch the fucking ball. But this comes from your coach in that since he's pressing you are pressing. Can't blame Kasen in the sense that he's trying to make a play. But on the other hand, you can't fumble there. Period. Taking a personal foul penalty when you have a stop on 3rd down to extend a drive when down 2 scores in the 2nd half ... idiotic. And the number of missed tackles in situations where you had ASU stopped and in a punting situation and instead allowing them to convert? It's just a severe lack of attention to details.

Sark has proven that he's a good enough coach to get you into the 7-8 win level. He's proven that he can put together a reasonable roster (save OL/DL recruiting that has been below par for the balance of his tenure). But what he hasn't been able to prove is an ability to win on the road against comparable/better teams. He's proven that he's a slightly better than .500 coach. What he hasn't proven is the ability to get into a 10+ win scenario and be a possible BCS team. And we continue to make the same mistakes this year that we've made historically. It's not good enough. We're not a 7 or 8 win program.

Edited by Derek to move it to Hardcore Husky

Comments

• dncdnc Member Posts: 56,652
    Wait, this is REAL Tequila after all?
  • uw2010uw2010 Member Posts: 940
    He's Tedford part deux.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Tequilla said:

I've been realistic to realize that we needed to build up the talent level on our football team (which we have) and that as a first time head coach Sark would make mistakes as he learned on the job (and he has).

What I'm not ok with is not learning from your mistakes and doing the same stupid fucking shit over and over and fucking over.

It's not that we lost to Arizona State that has caused me to lose confidence in Sark - but it's HOW we lost to them.

1) It was clear as the 2nd quarter progressed that we needed to get to half as quickly as possible. That's fine. A good coach realizes that we're getting out played and does everything in his power to minimize the damage. A good coach gets us to half down 15-7. A good coach gets us in the locker room, makes adjustments, pulls the team together and gets them to give 30 solid minutes to pull out a win. A coach that doesn't fucking get it doubles down to try to catch up before half. A coach that doesn't fucking get it keeps running the same stupid fucking plays that are getting blown up time after time. A coach that doesn't fucking get it allows what should be an 8-14 point halftime deficit to be a 22 point deficit that essentially ends the game.

2) If you look at what Arizona State has done all year, they haven't stopped the run and moreover, haven't been able to run the ball. We needed to win the ground battle at least 2:1 today. To get outgained on the ground by over 300 yards? Are you fucking kidding me? If you can't at least make the trenches a push, then it doesn't matter how fucking talented your skill position players are.

3) Stupid fucking boneheaded mistakes. Kasen's fumble on the punt? What are you thinking? You just got a stop. The kick was shitty and gave you good field position. There wasn't a return there. Fair catch the fucking ball. But this comes from your coach in that since he's pressing you are pressing. Can't blame Kasen in the sense that he's trying to make a play. But on the other hand, you can't fumble there. Period. Taking a personal foul penalty when you have a stop on 3rd down to extend a drive when down 2 scores in the 2nd half ... idiotic. And the number of missed tackles in situations where you had ASU stopped and in a punting situation and instead allowing them to convert? It's just a severe lack of attention to details.

Sark has proven that he's a good enough coach to get you into the 7-8 win level. He's proven that he can put together a reasonable roster (save OL/DL recruiting that has been below par for the balance of his tenure). But what he hasn't been able to prove is an ability to win on the road against comparable/better teams. He's proven that he's a slightly better than .500 coach. What he hasn't proven is the ability to get into a 10+ win scenario and be a possible BCS team. And we continue to make the same mistakes this year that we've made historically. It's not good enough. We're not a 7 or 8 win program.

Disagree.

Sark is 27-28 against FBS and 20-20 in conference. He IS a .500 coach.

It is nice to see Doogs like you are finally waking up though. You're only two years too late.
  • Tequilla said:

Disagree.

Sark is 27-28 against FBS and 20-20 in conference. He IS a .500 coach.

It is nice to see Doogs like you are finally waking up though. You're only two years too late.
    That should be added to the new HHB Iron Laws.

"Doogs are always two years too late to call out a shitty coach for being shitty".
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    Tequilla said:

Tequilla said:

I had the same thought as you with regard to getting to halftime down only 7-15, but then as that first half wound down, two things were obvious: 1) ASU's defensive front (DL+LBs) had a game plan that Sark's OL simply could not and would not be able to deal with; 2) KP's mobility wasn't as good as it had been and he was getting beaten-up (some more) by ASU's defense. UW's long string of three 'N outs told me it was over at halftime and I watched only a little of the third quarter to confirm it.

Sark did after three long years of futility on defense hire a new DC and defensive staff and with some new recruiters has added some good young skill-position talent to the roster. However, rebuilding of any football program at any level, prep, college, pro........ starts with the offensive and defensive lines. All of the positions in football are important, but good competitive linemen are crucial and essential and the sooner they are recruited and developed into college men, the sooner UW offensive and defensive lines can become great again. Contrary to his denials and assertions otherwise, Sark does not get this and as a result, we still mostly suck on the line-of-scrimmage where success or failure always starts with each and every snap of the ball.

It's just another tragedy for Husky Football that both AD Woodward and coach Sarkisian were ever hired to keep us fucked-up for a few to several more years. Those doogs who praise Woodward for the stadium renovation can for my money get thoroughly reamed and stretched. The first responsibility of UW's athletic director is to the football program with the stadium and it's luxury suites and the other ambiences a distant second.

Whatever they've been, I believe both Woodward and Sark be with us for at least a couple more years and probably more. How much longer Sark must wander about in the dark looking for his learning curve to becoming a successful head football coach is anybody's guess. And I'm personally certain that from what we've seen thus far, pool boy will never know enough about football to ever hire the head coach we need and deserve. Are we fucked? Does a Bear go in the woods?

And BTW, how can a football program after five seasons of building even from 0-12 ground zero still be without good special teams? The kickoffs make up for not getting to the end zone by lacking hang-time and WTF happened to our punting after such a good start against BSU? Are these more mysteries to blame on the laziness of UW's football playing athletes?

• HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    edited October 2013
    Get a fucking clue TequillaFS. Sark is not even a 500 coach. If Wilcox didn't come in this team doesn't make a bowl last season and this season would be 3-4 and about 30 spots lower in the computer rankings. If Tosh & Sirmon aren't hired, recruiting would be an absolute dreckfest because Sark & his drinking buddy Nansen completely alienated HS coaches in WA.

Seriously, get a fucking clue you moron and tighten your shit up. We don't need a fucking sermon.