Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

J?

2»

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,641 Founders Club
  • phineasphineas Member Posts: 4,732

AZDuck said:

I was going to link this story. Tale of our times.

Kid, early 20's lives with roommates in an apartment in Tampa. They are all neo-Nazis. Kid converts to Islam because neo-Nazism wasn't stupid enough. Neo-Nazis give kid a hard tim.

Kid takes gun and kills roommates. Except one. He takes cops back to the apartment. Other roommate is there, sad because his neo-Nazi roommates are ded.

Kid tells cops that he was also trying to defuse a terror plot - Neo-Nazis have explosives in the garage.

Plot twist: Neo-Nazis really DO have explosives in the garage!

Kids these days have ruined "memes"

This is one the the originals. I don't even know what a meme is anymore.

By the way, it's "me me" not "meem" fucking kids
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    phineas said:

AZDuck said:

Kid, early 20's lives with roommates in an apartment in Tampa. They are all neo-Nazis. Kid converts to Islam because neo-Nazism wasn't stupid enough. Neo-Nazis give kid a hard tim.

Kid takes gun and kills roommates. Except one. He takes cops back to the apartment. Other roommate is there, sad because his neo-Nazi roommates are ded.

Kid tells cops that he was also trying to defuse a terror plot - Neo-Nazis have explosives in the garage.

Actually it's pronounced "may-may"...
    Still better than "meem"
  • UWhuskytskeetUWhuskytskeet Member Posts: 7,110
    phineas said:

AZDuck said:

Disagree.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member Posts: 8,667 Standard Supporter
    After reading all this I still don't know wtf meme (meem) means. So why the hell did not Dawkins spell the damn word he made up MEEM

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/meme

MEME Defined for English Language Learners

memeplay
    noun \ˈmēm\
    Definition of meme for English Language Learners
    : an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from one person to another in a culture
    : an amusing or interesting picture, video, etc., that is spread widely through the Internet

Definition of meme
    : an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture
    Memes (discrete units of knowledge, gossip, jokes and so on) are to culture what genes are to life. Just as biological evolution is driven by the survival of the fittest genes in the gene pool, cultural evolution may be driven by the most successful memes. — Richard Dawkins
    : an amusing or interesting item (such as a captioned picture or video) or genre of items that is spread widely online especially through social media
    … the band encouraged fans to make memes to advertise the U.S. release of their EP … — William Gruger
    The grumpy cat meme frowned its way onto the Internet in September 2012 and never turned its dissatisfied head back. Since then, the image of the cranky cat has grown more and more popular in direct proportion to appearing less and less impressed by fame. — Anastasia Thrift
    memeticplay \mē-ˈme-tik, mə-\ adjective
    … the exhibition seeks to give a sense not only of Holmes's origins but of the real-world milieu in which Conan Doyle set him and of his memetic spread through the culture. — Sam Leith
    Did You Know?
    In his 1976 book The Selfish Gene, British scientist Richard Dawkins defended his newly coined word meme, which he defined as "a unit of cultural transmission." Having first considered, then rejected, "mimeme," he wrote: "‘Mimeme’ comes from a suitable Greek root, but I want a monosyllable that sounds a bit like ‘gene.’ I hope my classicist friends will forgive me if I abbreviate ‘mimeme’ to ‘meme.’" (The suitable Greek root was mim-, meaning "mime" or "mimic." The English suffix -eme indicates a distinctive unit of language structure, as in "grapheme," "lexeme," and "phoneme.") "Meme" itself, like any good meme, caught on fairly quickly, spreading from person to person as it established itself in the language.

Origin and Etymology of meme
    alteration of mimeme, from mim- (as in mimesis) + -eme

First Known Use: 1976
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346

PurpleJ said:

Germany would have won if the US was on there side. The commies were nothing special.

Germany would have won if we had Patton at Oberkommando der Wehrmacht, so what?
    LebamDawg said:

After reading all this I still don't know wtf meme (meem) means. So why the hell did not Dawkins spell the damn word he made up MEEM

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/meme

MEME Defined for English Language Learners

memeplay
    noun \ˈmēm\
    Definition of meme for English Language Learners
    : an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from one person to another in a culture
    : an amusing or interesting picture, video, etc., that is spread widely through the Internet

Definition of meme
    : an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture
    Memes (discrete units of knowledge, gossip, jokes and so on) are to culture what genes are to life. Just as biological evolution is driven by the survival of the fittest genes in the gene pool, cultural evolution may be driven by the most successful memes. — Richard Dawkins
    : an amusing or interesting item (such as a captioned picture or video) or genre of items that is spread widely online especially through social media
    … the band encouraged fans to make memes to advertise the U.S. release of their EP … — William Gruger
    The grumpy cat meme frowned its way onto the Internet in September 2012 and never turned its dissatisfied head back. Since then, the image of the cranky cat has grown more and more popular in direct proportion to appearing less and less impressed by fame. — Anastasia Thrift
    memeticplay \mē-ˈme-tik, mə-\ adjective
    … the exhibition seeks to give a sense not only of Holmes's origins but of the real-world milieu in which Conan Doyle set him and of his memetic spread through the culture. — Sam Leith
    Did You Know?
    In his 1976 book The Selfish Gene, British scientist Richard Dawkins defended his newly coined word meme, which he defined as "a unit of cultural transmission." Having first considered, then rejected, "mimeme," he wrote: "‘Mimeme’ comes from a suitable Greek root, but I want a monosyllable that sounds a bit like ‘gene.’ I hope my classicist friends will forgive me if I abbreviate ‘mimeme’ to ‘meme.’" (The suitable Greek root was mim-, meaning "mime" or "mimic." The English suffix -eme indicates a distinctive unit of language structure, as in "grapheme," "lexeme," and "phoneme.") "Meme" itself, like any good meme, caught on fairly quickly, spreading from person to person as it established itself in the language.

Origin and Etymology of meme
    alteration of mimeme, from mim- (as in mimesis) + -eme

First Known Use: 1976

I'm not going to pronounce something wrong just because some 1970s hippy can't spell. Fuck em