Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Romar still delusional

NEsnake12NEsnake12 Member Posts: 3,792

"...The last five years we weren't as successful as we would have liked to have been. We felt 'ok we finally got it back'..." in regards to the right before he was fired. Apparently "finally got it back" involves going 2-16 in conference play and magically expecting his recruiting class to solve all the problems.

Comments

• phineasphineas Member Posts: 4,732

I actually wish he hadn't been fired. Watching him fail with his super duper recruiting class would have been awesome in an Owen Twelve kinda way.

Kinda similar to watching a #1 pick go 2-16? Or just the part duex of it?
    Tbf I think he only went like 2-10 or so. He never appeared in any games I saw.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825

If nothing else tells you Romar was checked out at UW and merely cashing a paycheck you should reference his fucking shirt and background. I can't recall seeing a long time coach of any program(pro/college) get canned and literally RUN to a rival and sign up to be an assistant.

The guy literally has 20 years as a D1 HC and he ran to be Millers assistant. Nothing about this should pass the smell test to anyone.

Yep ... very well said

If Romar took this job at this time NEXT year then it is what it is ... but to immediately jump to this job = keep cashing those checks
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,377 Founders Club

If nothing else tells you Romar was checked out at UW and merely cashing a paycheck you should reference his fucking shirt and background. I can't recall seeing a long time coach of any program(pro/college) get canned and literally RUN to a rival and sign up to be an assistant.

The guy literally has 20 years as a D1 HC and he ran to be Millers assistant. Nothing about this should pass the smell test to anyone.

I didn't really think of it that way, but you're absolutely right
  • bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,109
    This has started to pop up in a few different places: Romar was told by Jen that she wanted to keep him but he needed to come up with a plan to right the ship (what he was doing obviously wasn't working). She gave him time put something together. Romar called her bluff, came back with nothing, expecting the recruiting class to be his ace in the hole. Door.Ass.Out.

I would not be surprised if going after the Zona job was Romar's way of getting back and Jen.

This has started to pop up in a few different places: Romar was told by Jen that she wanted to keep him but he needed to come up with a plan to right the ship (what he was doing obviously wasn't working). She gave him time put something together. Romar called her bluff, came back with nothing, expecting the recruiting class to be his ace in the hole. Door.Ass.Out.

I would not be surprised if going after the Zona job was Romar's way of getting back and Jen.

IF this is true ... then Cohen gave Romar every opening possible to save himself ... the fact that he didn't even put the minimal work in necessary to put a plan together that would have saved him for another year shows how out of touch from reality he was as well as how willing he was to mail it in.
  • tenndawgtenndawg Member Posts: 1,161
    Tequilla said:

IF this is true ... then Cohen gave Romar every opening possible to save himself ... the fact that he didn't even put the minimal work in necessary to put a plan together that would have saved him for another year shows how out of touch from reality he was as well as how willing he was to mail it in.
    And it would have been so easy...

Talk to coaches at Duke, Villanova, Kansas and Carolina and say "we are going to adapt some of their ideas into our off season conditioning program"

Then mumble sonething about a motion offense with more off the ball screens, and on defense modifying a match up zone...

Hope he sits on a cactus and gets stung by a scorpion
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,529 Standard Supporter

He's an assistant.

That'll show her for sure.
  • FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    edited April 2017
    @DerekJohnson
    Stalin you commie prick. Rename this board to "Romar's Delusions". This way we can always reminded of his tenure as our? coach
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    Romar never made the tournament without a NBA all star on the roster.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Tequilla said:

The plan was Michael Porter and locking down the very strong, future Seattle talent. Everyone knew it. Fultz very well could have saved Romar the year before, although Cohen has just been named AD.

Romar just lost way too much because he's a shitty coach and you can't put up with 6 years of missing the tournament and your coach going 2-16 in the PAC 12.
  • oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    edited April 2017

This has started to pop up in a few different places:

You know you want to RoadDawggyDogg.

Tequilla said:

The plan was Michael Porter and locking down the very strong, future Seattle talent. Everyone knew it. Fultz very well could have saved Romar the year before, although Cohen has just been named AD.

Romar just lost way too much because he's a shitty coach and you can't put up with 6 years of missing the tournament and your coach going 2-16 in the PAC 12.
    Hence why he was door.ass.out

It's great that his plan was to bring in talent ... but he never got deeper than having a strategy of rolling the ball out and watching it play out.

I don't totally know what Fultz and his injury status was (legit wise) ... but I don't get the impression that if this was a team that was a strong NCAA team that he'd have sat out the end of the year like he did. It seemed obvious to me that he made a business decision and that was that.

By and large, it looked like the team as a whole more or less quit on Romar ... when you add all of that up, what choice did he really give Cohen?
    I can't disagree with a word of that ...

I have no desire in breaking down the Romar is a good guy narrative ...

My guess is that if I pulled the curtain back and followed the program from the inside for a year my opinion would likely change significantly
  • FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    Tequilla said:

My guess is that if I pulled the curtain back and followed the program from the inside for a year my opinion would likely change significantly

What do you mean?

Tequilla said:

What do you mean?
    Romar is a great guy ... everybody says so

Yet there's growing evidence that Romar can't wait to talk about how it wasn't his fault, doesn't take responsibility, and has no problem throwing people in front of or under the bus to protect his image.

For me, you can't earn too much respect if you aren't willing to take personal accountability ... that's a bare minimum